close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why do I listen to other people??? Stupid me!!!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by glockhokk, Jun 17, 2017.

1. glockhokk

glockhokk

I am an older shooter. I have owned just about every make of handgun in my life. Only recently did I purchase my first Glock, a G-42.

Before this I heard from different shooters that they were (not my words), "cheap plastic", "dangerous", "hard to shoot accurately", "over priced for the quality", and etc. I literally had visions of these things bowing up in the hand.

While I didn't actively think on these comments subconsciously they had an effect on me as I made my purchasing decisions.

Now, having purchased and range tested my G-42 several times I am kicking myself for waiting so long. Stupid, stupid, stupid!!!

Now, I may just have to go out and try another Glock.

I have turned into a fan.

Jor327, Dcc65, Camaronut2001 and 55 others like this.
  2. MJB

MJB

Better late than never!

3. rock_castle

rock_castle Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

Some plastic pistol love. ❤️

Toby196, fdracing and janice6 like this.
  4. svtpwnz

svtpwnz

Congrats on the 42 and welcome to GT! If you like the 42, then you really need to get a hold of the "one" that Glock built it reputation on and that would be the Glock 17. The G19 would be a fantastic choice as well.

I believe every firearms enthusiast should have a Glock 17 or Glock 19. They really are fantastic pistols and as you have seen, they just work. Most folks who bash them more than likely have never shot one.

If you really want a fun shooter, try out a G20 or G40 in 10mm flavor.

Toby196, throb, Rich227 and 10 others like this.
  5. Agonizer

Agonizer .

The gun world is filled with myths, misconceptions, untruths, proven falsehoods, prejudices, and hard headed stubborn old men.

There is obviously nothing wrong with Glocks. The many Law Enforcement agencies that use them, and citizens that choose them can't all be wrong.

6. powernoodle

powernoodle

Do what I do. Listen to Powernoodle.

9jeeps, svtpwnz, dugansduece and 4 others like this.
  7. NoComp

NoComp The Shootist

Sitting here in a little taqueria eating breakfast with a G42 on my hip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First shot and KWalrad like this.
  8. Giggity-Giggity

Giggity-Giggity Giggity-Goo!!!

Get revenge by buying 10 more Glocks!

Toby196, Lee Elliott, ep1208 and 6 others like this.
  9. svtpwnz

svtpwnz

Sounds reasonable. But why stop at just ten?

Toby196, michael_b, Armstrong and 4 others like this.
  10. Nick B

Nick B

Everyone has different tastes in gun brands and models .
    I own all the top brands and HK is probably my favorite poly gun .Steel framed Sigs and 1911's I love too .Yep CZ's .
    That said I do have a supply of Glocks also .

ginelmore and Q OATIS like this.
  11. jconn465

jconn465

I'm guessing glocks are like algae. They grow on ya. My 34.3 is feeling better and better. But for now my grab and go is also my cheapest and bestest shooting XDm 4.5.9mm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. Tech-Anthony

Tech-Anthony

Welcome to the wonderful world of glock ownership .... My mom bought me my first glock almost 21 years ago on July 1. It was my graduation present from HS. Still have her and will never part with her.

gatorboy, Unclebucksguns and Sky King like this.
  13. kme

kme

I was in the same boat, until I bought my 19. Took a while to learn to shoot that well but when I did I really liked the 19. Then I bought my son a 34. Came across a good deal on a 42 so I bought that. I really liked the 42 so I thought if the 42 is a lot of fun, the 43 must be even more fun, so now I have a 43.

Rented a 21 at the range last week and found shooting the 21 to be enjoyable. Hmmm...I get my GSSF Pistol Purchase coupon in August.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  14. glockhokk

glockhokk

I'd be interested in your thumbnail comparison of the two.

15. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Although I have 5 Glocks (I had seven) I'm not a Glock fan, so if I say something good about them I mean it.
    (A friend gave me a G17 and G26. I disliked the guns so much I gave them back)

I have two early G42's. Have had all the problems with the G42's that they are famous for.
    After something over a thousand rounds the guns still aren't reliable enough to carry.

But still I like the size and how accurate the G42 is and I like to shoot it.
    I've loaded several thousand more rounds of .380 for them.

If I can ever trust it enough, I'll put it in the pocket carry rotation. (probably as a 9x18 Makarov caliber).

At present I have the 9x18 barrel in one G42. It was far from just a drop in conversion but after some work it's about as reliable as the .380 G42, with about the same accuracy.

[​IMG]

16. glockhokk

glockhokk

So far I have had two misfires. I guess you call it stove=piping. With an improved grip and SIG .380 ammo the G-42 is 1oo%. It is a later model....

17. kme

kme

My 42 was manufactured in '14. Lots of problems and a really heavy trigger. Bought the new OEM (-) connector and that helped the trigger weight a little. Finally called Glock two months ago, gave them the serial number and they said to send it to them (Glock pays for shipping both ways) with my magazines.

Glock replaced;

1) Magazines - swapped three 01 and 02 magazines for new 03 magazines.

2) Trigger Housing with Ejector

3) Trigger with Trigger Bar

4) Slide Stop Lever with Spring

They sent the 42 back to within a week.

I can't measure it, but the trigger is much lighter, I would guess they brought it within their spec of 5.5 lbs.

Put 400 rounds through it and the pistol runs perfectly. I had to adjust my grip slightly so I don't push up the slide bar with my right thumb. No FTFs, no FTEs, and no failures of the slide to lock back on the last round. Just fun fun fun.

18. kme

kme

Once Glock brought my 42 up to the current spec with new parts, the 42 runs flawlessly. It is very easy to shoot, I can go through 150 rounds in a trip to the range without realizing it. One can debate the merits of .380 ACP endlessly but you can't argue with the fact that the 42 is a figurative blast to shoot.

The 43 seems to me to be a bit more polarizing. I know some people, like my son, think the 43 is too "snappy". He feels you can't bring the pistol down quickly enough on followup shots. But he primarily shoots a 34. I don't shoot competitively so I don't care about my time on followup shots. Like the 42, the 43 is easy to shoot. The last time I took it to the range I put 175 115 gr FMJ down range without a hiccup. No gloves, no soreness, just fun, accurate (the gun not me) shooting.

Lee Elliott likes this.
  19. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I found some more pictures of the G42.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

G42 compared to the Ruger LC9s (9mm)
    [​IMG]

Crimson Trace laser equipped G42 on a windy evening.
    [​IMG]

First 13 rounds, right out of the box, 9 pound trigger and all. :)
    [​IMG]

Rich227 and Kennydale like this.
  20. kme

kme

The FTFs might be attributable to your magazines. Glock replaces ALL 01 and 02 magazines for free. Mail the 01s and 02s to Glock and they mail back new 03 magazines.

12guage and Dr_fast like this.