Why do I have to reboot to access the 'net?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by dkt2k, Mar 7, 2005.

1. dkt2k

dkt2k 'sup?

Hi! I hope someone can help me before I start shooting my computer. I use Charter Highspeed for my Net access. I recently bought a D-Link DI-524 wireless router, and installed it. My computer is connected to the router using cat-6 cable via the onboard SIS 900-based PCI NIC. My OS is WinXP Home w/ SP2, and all updates.

My symptoms are these: when rebooted, I get instant internet connection; after "awakening" computer from "sleep" (set for no standby inpower settings), I cannot access the internet. The computer shows a live network connection, and ipconfig shows I'm getting an IP address from the router, just no 'net. My Xbox live connection is just fine all of the time.

Router is set for dynamic IP, I've cloned the MAC address in the WAN settings, router set up as DHCP server, and shows my computer connected as a dynamic DHCP client. My internet settings are all set for "automatic"; I use Firefox, and it is set to "autodetect proxy settings"; previously set on "direct connection", with same result. IE has same problem.

I've spoken to Charter support, who verifies that the modem and router appear to be functioning, as have D-Link support.
    Seems as if there's a setting I've missed somewhere... no problems at all when computer is connected directly to the modem...

Any ideas, folks? It's driving my wife and me absolutely nuts!!!

Thanks,
    dkt2k

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Device Manager> NIC> Properties> Untick 'allow PC to turn this off to conserve power'.

Apply and OK.

If that doesn't get you going, you can check for newer NIC drivers or just disable the 'green' features that power the machine down in the first place...just have the monitor shut down, is all.

If these don't help, I have more tricks...just post back!!

GL

3. srhoades

srhoades

You can also try renewing your IP address from a prompt
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew
    However I suspect fastvfr's solution should work.

4. dkt2k

dkt2k 'sup?

Thanks, just did as you suggested re NIC properties; I'll have to let you know in the morning if that worked.

dkt

5. dkt2k

dkt2k 'sup?

Hi,

Did as fastvfr suggested re NIC power options, to no avail; wife had to reboot this morning to get on the net.

Re power optoins, computer is set to: "Power scheme": "Always on", "Turn off monitor" and "turn off hard disks": 1 hour, "System standby": "Never".

Any more ideas? This is getting old... I'm at work now, so don't know how much more I can answer re my home computer's setup right now.

Thanks again,
    dkt

6. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Next, try removing the NIC and reinstalling it into a different PCI slot.

7. dkt2k

dkt2k 'sup?

I can't; Ethernet port is integrated into MB...

8. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Oh! Well, there's your problem.

It is most likely a chipset driver issue, but the best, easiest and most effective way to fix this is to grab yourself a PCI NIC and install that.

There are no good onboard solutions, IMHO.

Integrated video...AC'97 sound chips...onboard NICs...all exhibit an amazing ability to blow moose nozzle.

So quit using it and see if the issue vanishes. I'm betting that a shiny new $12 PCI NIC will fix your problems instantly.

9. dkt2k

dkt2k 'sup?

"moose nozzle", eh? Love it!

I'll pick up a new NIC tomorrow and give it a shot.

Thanks for your help, fastvfr; I'll let you know in a day or so if that did the trick.

dkt

10. dkt2k

dkt2k 'sup?

DAMMITT!!!!

I disabled my onboard Ethernet port, installed a new NIC, and I have the exact same symptoms as before.

Just now, after letting the computer sit, so monitor goes off (other power settings are: HD does not turn off, never go to standby, NIC always on, etc.), I cannot connect to 'Net, even though network connection indicator shows I'm connected.

So I unceremoniously disconnect router from my computer, and run line directly from cable modem to NIC, without changing anything, and I immediately can connect to 'Net.
    I don't know what to do... computercide comes to mind...

Any other suggestions are desperately needed and appreciated...

dkt

11. NGWT

NGWT

Try a different port on the router.

12. srhoades

srhoades

Do you have your router set to "keep connection alive?"

13. dkt2k

dkt2k 'sup?

I don't see such a setting to "keep connection alive" in the D-Link control panel...

14. dkt2k

dkt2k 'sup?

I've just switched to a different port on the router; I'll see if it helps, but it will take a while before I know, I guess.

Thanks,
    dkt2k

15. Medievaltech

Medievaltech I need money :)

make sure your firmware is up to date on the router

16. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

For the benefit of the others who have been following and learning from this saga, I suggested that he disable the monitor's poweroff feature, to see if that prevents this issue from occurring.

A firmware flash for the router would be the next step, as there ought to be a keep-alive function there and, well, it obviously isn't doing its job right now!!

Well, at least you know it stays online when the router isn't in the equation!!

Problem isolated and nearly solved, IMHO.

17. dkt2k

dkt2k 'sup?

Hey there, folks!

Already have firmwear updated to the latest available, per D-Link site. I had not set the monitor to never shut off, but just did so.

I switched Ethernet cable from port #1 to port #3, but haven't been able to see if that helped yet do to family medical emergency last night. I'll let you know either tonight or tomorrow, after I can let computer sit.

Thanks again for everyone's interest and suggestions; it's what I love about GT!

dkt

18. dkt2k

dkt2k 'sup?

I set monitor to "never" turn off; switched Ethernet cable to port 3 instead of port 1...still the same problem.

I've got latest (3.02) firmware; I see no setting option in router setup that says "keep connection alive", etc.

BIOS settings that may be relevant: "APM suspend mode" is disabled; "RING Power up control" is disabled; "MACPME Power up control" is disabled; "PCIPME Power up control" is enabled; "USB Wakeup from S3" is enabled; PS/2 Wake up from S3 is enabled; "Power up by alam" is disabled.

BIOS is Phoenix-AwardBIOS V 6.00PC; mobo is MSI MS6701

Any more ideas?

Thanks again!
    dkt

19. metallic

metallic

Can you try doing exactly what has been causing this problem with the computer plugged directly into the cable modem? Would be nice to isolate whether its a problem with your computer or with the router.

You should also follow srhoades advice and try "ipconfig /release" followed by an "ipconfig /renew" from a prompt. If you dont know how to get a prompt, hit the start button, click on "Run..." and type "cmd.exe" in the box that pops up and click "ok." If this fixes the problem, then you should check your dhcp lease length settings.

20. dkt2k

dkt2k 'sup?

Things run perfectly if I take the router out of the loop, as I did again the other day just to see what happens. Internet connection is hot all of the time, just as it was prior to my purchase of the router...

dkt