Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 285 Posts

·
Armed_Nurse
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking around several LGS here in South FL and I noticed one common thing about them, they always have a sign posted "Strictly No Concealed Weapons Inside".

Just makes me wonder, why someone who sells guns for a living woudn't support CCW/CWP holders?

Btw, the employees walk around the shop open carrying. :faint:

·
NRA Life Member
67,824 Posts
The same reason as gun shows - it's a place where people tend to pull out their guns to trade, show, etc., and most gun shops have bullet holes from the idiots who accidentally fired rounds while doing so. The gun shop employees I know have plenty of stories about almost getting killed by idiots.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
The gun shops trust you enough to sell you the guns and ammo, but not enough to bring them back in the store!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I have seen campaigns by the NRA to boycott businesses that refuse to honor CCW permit holders (like certain movie theaters for example). Maybe they should start a campaign to boycott all businesses including gun DEALERS who do the same thing.

·
NRA Life Member
67,824 Posts
The gun shops trust you enough to sell you the guns and ammo, but not enough to bring them back in the store!
That's right - because most people they sell them to are idiots. I wasn't joking about the bullet holes, people trading in guns with chambered rounds, etc.

I have seen campaigns by the NRA to boycott businesses that refuse to honor CCW permit holders (like certain movie theaters for example). Maybe they should start a campaign to boycott all businesses including gun DEALERS who do the same thing.
Maybe they should start a campaign to keep people from buying guns if they aren't able to udnerstand something as simple as why the gun shops don't allow loaded guns inside.:upeyes:

·
NRA Life Member
2,705 Posts
Most shops around here have signs that say something to the effect that "all guns much be holstered or cased. Uncased guns must be unloaded and have the action open." This covers just about everything. If it's holstered, keep it there. They usually direct you back to your vehicle if you want to pull a pistol from concealment or from an open carried condition.

·
Registered
17,049 Posts
One of the shops around here has a sign that says " Do not unholster your handgun"

I was in a gun store many years ago, customer came in with a .357 revolver in a case, opened the case was showing off the gun, flagged several of us with the muzzle, asked the clerk if they could install a set of grips on it, when the clerk took the gun from the customer he opened the cylinder and it was loaded.

Anyhow the reason gun shops post those signs is because people can't keep from accidently shooting up the store.

Every time I've asked a gun store owner about signs prohibiting ccw their claim has been insurance company rules. They have also said as long as it stays concealed they don't care.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
One of the shops around here has a sign that says " Do not unholster your handgun"

That sounds appropriate.

One of my LGS has a sign that says "ALL FIRE ARMS MUST BE UNLOADED BEFORE ENTERING THE STORE". Which I completely ignore, and just keep it concealed.

But yeah I have seen the yahoos that come in there to buy guns and they kind of scare me too.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Im sorry, it just doesnt make sense to me. A liberal would have a good argument here. If the gun shops that SELL the guns to the people dont trust them to carry the weapons into their store, why should any business trust them to do the same??

Sounds like you guys are making a great argument to outlaw CCW in all states.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I would have to assume that those of you that agree that there should be no CCW in a gun store (of all places) also feel that there should be no public shooting ranges either then? Maybe just supervised shooting ranges where shooters are under rules and regulations and big brother is standing over you to enforce such rules?

·
Armed_Nurse
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
No handling of loaded firearms inside the store. No holstering or unholstering of ANY handgun in the store.

:dunno:
I agree with this. IMO, LGS should be a very good supporter of the 2A.

Btw, I've been here in Miami for a few years now and I haven't heard any news (yet) about an accidental discharge in a gunshop. Local ranges yes but gunshops no. :whistling:

·
Registered
27,990 Posts
Im sorry, it just doesnt make sense to me. A liberal would have a good argument here. If the gun shops that SELL the guns to the people dont trust them to carry the weapons into their store, why should any business trust them to do the same??

Sounds like you guys are making a great argument to outlaw CCW in all states.
Liberals already use this argument. There's a couple stores around here w/ "No Loaded Guns" signs, there's also a few that have signs asking that Concealed weapons stay concealed.

Like most things in life, gun owners only have themselves to blame for shops making these policies. They already have very high liability insurance I'm sure, then you get some 'tard w/ a gun walking in, thinking he's gonna sell his CCW, and carry it loaded inside.

About 4yrs ago, my brother and I were at a local indoor range, and this lady walks in w/ some small caliber firearm (looked like a .25 or similar caliber Lorcin) She walks in holding the gun at her side, finger on the trigger. I'm looking at some guns in the case, and see her come in, then I hear her say "I want to sell this, I have no idea if it's loaded".. The employee calmly instructed her to take her finger off the trigger, and place the gun on the counter, and he would check it out.

I couldn't believe the stupidity of that woman, but I imagine something like that happens multiple times a week at most gun stores.

Makes me kinda understand their side.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I didnt think you could carry in ANY movie theaters. Here in NC, the law states it is unlawful to carry into any establishment that charges admission, as a theater does.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts

I was in a gun store many years ago, customer came in with a .357 revolver in a case, opened the case was showing off the gun, flagged several of us with the muzzle, asked the clerk if they could install a set of grips on it, when the clerk took the gun from the customer he opened the cylinder and it was loaded.

Anyhow the reason gun shops post those signs is because people can't keep from accidently shooting up the store.

Every time I've asked a gun store owner about signs prohibiting ccw their claim has been insurance company rules. They have also said as long as it stays concealed they don't care.
I've never been in a gun shop in Virginia where there was signage posted against the carrying of a SD firearm into the store. I have heard of one but when I visited that one (in Lorton) I saw no sign and OC'd into that store with no problem. Every gun shop in my area welcomes carriers, open or concealed, with no problems at all. All of them.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
The same reason as gun shows - it's a place where people tend to pull out their guns to trade, show, etc., and most gun shops have bullet holes from the idiots who accidentally fired rounds while doing so. The gun shop employees I know have plenty of stories about almost getting killed by idiots.
Most is a very generalized statement. I would bet very few.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
I didnt think you could carry in ANY movie theaters. Here in NC, the law states it is unlawful to carry into any establishment that charges admission, as a theater does.
Yeah, NC has a few strange laws when it comes to the carrying of a firearm. Like the "Going armed to the terror of the public" law or carrying around a parade or large gatherings of people. That is completely foreign to us here in Virginia. Too many special legal considerations to have to worry about.

·
Where's my EBT?
6,711 Posts
The vast majority of people who carry into their local candle shop are practiced and responsible permit holders. (Yes, that is an assumption - I don't have time to prove it.)

Judging by the number of nimrod wannabe's I've seen walking around gun shops, I'd want every gun in the place unloaded too.

·
Registered
208 Posts
They do it so mall ninjas with CCW dont come in there acting like undercover cops/ seal team 6 operatives. Then when they say "see look at my gun" you hear a loud bang and you get a mexican stand off like in Inglorious Basterds.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I allowed concealed or open carry when I had my shop. Of course, my head was on a swivel because you never know. It seems like some of the most basic safety rules went out the window when people would handle a firearm at my place or at a gun show. (always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction would be a good example) I can't count how many times I was "muzzle swept" at the display counter. It didn't bother me too bad when it was one of my guns that I had just safety checked. It made me a tad more nervous when it was a customers trade gun.

1 - 20 of 285 Posts