close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why do Glock Factory Mags Suck?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by joelandsteph, Dec 15, 2002.

1. joelandsteph

joelandsteph

You would think one of the best pistols ever designed would have a great mag to go with it. I own a 21, 17, and a 26. I use the 17 strictly for competition, and the 26 is my wifes. I bought my 21 3 years ago and 2 additional new FML ten rounders. All the mags are bad now. The feed lips are all stretched and the springs are beat. Yeah, half the time my mags are loaded, but so what. That is a short life span for mags that work in a gun that was designed to last forever. I went ahead and bought all new FML mags. I guess I will have to do that every year or so.

2. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

I have Glocks that I've had since 95 and I still have all my original magazines, they're all fine. I've only changed springs in two standard capacity magazines. Of course I don't keep all 50 or so of them loaded all the time. I shoot fairly regularly, about 32000 rounds last year and about 7000 so far this year.

3. 9mmMike

9mmMike The Fun-Police Millennium Member

All the mags are beat? Wow! I don't have as many mags as Fireglock but I shoot a ton and so I would guess that my smaller collection are used even more than his and all mine are fine.
    Are you slammin' those mags in like you're tryin' to pop em out the top?
    Are the mag releases stock or aftermarket metal ones or something?
    I have never heard of anyone chewing up that many mags in such a short time. Really.
    Mike

4. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

Um, they dont suck. Springs and followers wear out and mag lips get spread sometimes (easily fixed also). I have a set of 5 mags that were used to fire over 30,000 rounds from july 1 thru spet 1 this year, no mag probs and they still work great.

5. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Well.....I've never been *real* impressed with the Clinton mags (10 rounders), but I don't think I'd say they suck...blow maybe, but I still blame Clinton.

I've found that if you remove the flat follower and replace it with almost any other Glock 9mm follower, they seem to work better.

If yours aren't working well, take them to a GSSF match or send them back to Glock, they'll make them work, or replace them. Then write your congress critters and ask them to vote against renewing the ban in 2004!

6. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Because of this post, I went and tried to figure out which magazines were the original ones that came with the guns. Bought one in '93 and a couple within the next couple years.

I cannot tell which ones came with the guns and which ones I bought recently. No separation, all work fine. The orange ones I bought at GSSF are the only ones I'm positive did not come with the guns.

Just about 10 years and counting before my first failure. I keep them downloaded by one is the only consession I make to spring life.

DanH

7. riverrat

riverrat Millennium Member

ummmm .... they don't suck. You might.

DFTFT???

8. Helds

Helds

I've had problems with 10 round factory mags in my G21. The original 13 rounders that came with the gun work fine. But when I bought new 10 round magazines, they would only hold 8 rounds. You know, if they held 9 rounds I would have said what the hell and kept them. The effort to force a 9th round in would have destroyed the magazine. These were not cheap after market magazines, they were Glock factory magazines, for chrissakes.

9. ppd1108

ppd1108

I don't know about your mag bodies but if the springs are going bad go to a GSSF match. The factory techs will rebuild your mags. I do this once a year and have my duty mag that are loaded 24 hours a day rebuilt.

10. joelandsteph

joelandsteph

New mags work like a charm. I guess I will not keep my mags fully loaded all the time. Oh well, new Glock mags are not terrible expensive anyway to replace them every other year. They still are a disappointment though, compared to the reputation of the gun.

11. runandduck

runandduck

Without reading any posts ahead of this, I would say call up Smyrna and b*tch like hell.
    Loaded or not(unless there is something really peculiar about your mag situation like pushing 11 into a 10 rounder), their customer service should take a real liking to your plight. Besides, why should you have to buy a surplus of mags for each caliber when these pistols will stand up to supposed untold punishment. Why not expect the same of the mags?

12. runandduck

runandduck

HerrGlock,

Out of interest, how/to what capacity do you keep your mags loaded? Is it your "bedstand" personal defense tool?

13. joelandsteph

joelandsteph

New mags will do the same thing. We will just have to live with a second class mag with a first class gun, until Glock does an overhaul on their mag design. Till then, shoot on!!

14. JWP

JWP

personally i think glock mags werean afterthought on the austrian's part - a metal mag catch and metal mag body would have made them as long lasting as 1911 mags

15. Guest

I have had one of my G-17's since 1990, both 17 round mags have been
    fully loaded from the time I bought them, and the still work fine.
    JC

16. Guest

Why do some mags drop free and some dont? I just got a 22 and the mags that came with it are ok (new) and I have a 24c and the mags that drop free in that wont in new 22.I also bought new about 6 months ago and they sometimes are ok in 24c but wont drop free in new 22. Thanks John;k ;p

17. Fireglock

And damaging to the polymer receiver.

18. IPSC G34

IPSC G34 Sparky

Fireglock,

I'm not sure thats true. STI, Sig and SA-XD all use metal magazines with polymer frames and it doesn't hurt them a bit. As long as you have a metal mag catch, metal mags work fine in polymer guns.

As for Glock factory mags being no good, I have 5 mags that I have used for 2 years shooting USPSA without replacing the springs and they are still going strong.

19. 84S

84S

I have only had to replace springs on my G17 once. I don't know how many rounds have gone through it. The amazing thing is that I actually somehow wore out the spring on an old Vietnam bring back(I think) AK-47 mag. Those things are built like tanks.

20. Fireglock

I stand corrected. ;f