close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why do cagers look at you funny when you ride in the rain?

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by fnfalman, Nov 12, 2006.

1. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I wouldn't go out riding in a torrential monsoon, but if it's drizzling or maybe even a slight downpour, I'm out and about on my bikes. Rain gear is cheap, so why the heck not? Besides, I love it when cagers and boutique riders give me "that look".:rofl:

2. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

I always say you're not a real rider unless you have crossed another state in the rain.

3. CajunBass

CajunBass Silver Member

Back in the '80's "the homeless" were a big topic of "concern" to everyone. I remember seeing a "homeless report" where the TV crew was conducting "man on the street" interviews with homeless people. There was this one guy living in a box, over a steam grate in NYC. The reporter asked "What do you do when it gets cold?" To which the guy replied "I gets cold." "What do you do when it rains?" The "homeless person" (We used to call them "bums.") answered, "I gets wet."

I use those lines when people ask me about riding my bike in bad weather. Most people can't imagine being uncomfortable themselves so they can't imagine why you would do it on purpose. I don't bother to tell them about snowmobile suits, rain gear, heated gloves, vests, seats, etc. I like them to think I'm either really tough, or really stupid. Doesn't matter to me.

4. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

What about three? What does that make me? ("Stupid" is probably the answer.) :supergrin:

5. Skyhook

Skyhook

And how about the question, "Why do bikers assign the term 'cagers' to those who ride in autos?" - (that is a derogatory term, isn't it; cager?).

It couldn't be some kind of attempt at self-appointed superiority, could it? Naw, of course not.:eyebrow:

In my hundreds of thousands of miles on 2-wheels, I always thought those smart enough to have come 'in out of the rain' were, well, just smart. :supergrin:

6. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Hell, if we were smart in the first place, we wouldn't be riding these two-wheeled motorized machines.:tongueout:

7. G23Adam

G23Adam .- -.. .- --

I read the first part and "Stupid" immediately popped in my head..... then I read the 2nd part....

I ride in the rain pretty often, as sometimes my bike is my only transportation.

Between Gerbing's and Olympia Moto Sports and Aerostitch, I can ride just as comfortable on my bike as in the car, in any condition...

8. JMag

JMag

Because...we're not...

:supergrin:

9. CajunBass

CajunBass Silver Member

I certainly think it's meant to be an insult. I don't know about anyone else, but I've driven a car a lot more than I have ridden a motorcycle, and see no need to think in "us" vs "them." Some people choose to ride bikes, some don't. Some choose to carry guns, and some don't. That doesn't make one group any better than the other, just different.

(I hate the term "Sheeple" that you see in gun forums all the time, for the same reason.)

10. jazzmanDK

jazzmanDK

Unless you live in Florida riding in the rain eventually becomes a wet, cold ordeal that I don't wish on anyone. Not to mention the skid risk on newly wet roads with a nearly invisible oil film that is more treacherous than black ice .......

Most of the time we don't think yer nuts, just unfortunate :)

I put my scooter away when it rained......

Zip

11. Skyhook

Skyhook

I understand the business a bit. There were times in the summer when I'd ride the bike in a drizzle rain. The fresh smells of wet earth and pavement were darned near intoxicating. Not only that, but that bike I had then ran smoother on rainy days, as I remember it.

As for the scariest ride, I had the bride on the back while riding southward through the Adirondacks on I-87 when a really large, fast-moving thunderstorm nailed us. We were in the 'hammer lane' trying to get to an overpass when the bottom dropped out. In an instant I was moving along at (ahem) 65mph with the road completely covered in about 2" of marble-sized hail. The noise on the windshield and helmets was incredible and the bike just did not want to stay upright.

With a lot of luck we rode through that in what seemed like fifteen minutes but was actually just a few minutes.

I did pull off at the next rest area. :cool:

12. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

They think the average rider is a little nuts, but riding in the rain makes you certifiable in their eyes. I love riding in big storms on the coast. :thumbsup:

13. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Textile with waterproof liners or rain gears come very handy at these times. Full leathers are good for about 15-minutes in a torrential downpour and get rather heavy. Ask me how I know.:rofl:

14. GlockWurst

GlockWurst ...Est. 1968

Hell, I almost ALWAYS ride in the rain, though not necessarily by choice -- it just seems to rain whenever I get on a bike...

Every road trip I've ever been on has included AT LEAST two solid days of torrential downpour riding. In 1999, I ended a four and a half month drought in New Zealand by riding a BMW GS across that country. Seriously - four and a half months of NO RAIN, until the very minute I swing my leg over that bike at the rental place... Then rain the whole two weeks I was there.

Friends and family call me the "Rainbringer."

Needless to say, I invested in an Aerostitch, so it rains less now. Unless I forgo the 'Stitch for leather -- then it rains.

(I also have the uncanny ability to make the line at the grocery store come to a stop, just by getting into it, but that's for another thread...)

15. norton

norton

Here in the midwest, summer thunderstorms come up suddenly, and then can be followed by sunshine. With humidity of course.
    Riding in a steady rain is no problem.
    The problem is, when the sun comes out. You know its going to rain again at some point. Should I take my rain suit off? If I don't its like sitting in a sauna.
    If you have a 2 piece you can take off the jacket but leave the pants on. Even when the sun comes out, water coming up from your front tire can soak your pants.

16. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

^ that's the one of the beautiful things about the Aerostich Darien. Nothing extra to put on or take off for the rain.

17. G23Adam

G23Adam .- -.. .- --

18. Willard

Willard Who, me?

I'll fix it for you:

...you're not a real rider unless you have crossed another state in the rain ON A BICYCLE.

19. Bullwinkle J Moose

Bullwinkle J Moose Quick! Duck!

It's not derogatory, merely descriptive. It's a heck of a lot shorter to say "cager" than "people driving cars, trucks and buses". Getting your panties in a wad over the word just might be a symptom of a condescending attitude.:eyebrow:

BTW, when I'm riding in the rain or sunshine I seldom look at the people inside the cages. All I usually see are the vehicles. When miliseconds may count, I consider time spent perusing occupants a dangerous distraction.

20. JMag

JMag

So if "cagers" called bikers "friends of asphalt (FOA)" you guys would be okay with that?

:wavey: