Why do bad drivers hunch over the wheel?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by F14Scott, Jan 25, 2010.

1. F14Scott

F14Scott Luggage CLM

As my daughter and I drove home from her volleyball practice in some light snow and high wind, we kept passing cars driving very slowly, too slowly even for the conditions.

Every excessively slow car's driver was old and/or a female (some young females), and all of them had their chests pressed to the steering wheel, hands at 11:45 and 12:15, and their chins breaking the plane of the top of the wheel.

Why do old people and bad/overly cautious drivers do that? I tried it, and the extra two feet didn't seem to improve visibility; in fact, while visibility to the front remains amost unchanged, I lost sight to the sides and, of course, my mirrors all became useless. It certainly made steering difficult.

What's the deal with the hunch?

2. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member Millennium Member

Driving scares the bejesus out of them and they're hanging on for dear life. They do it around here too. It's always women drivers that do it.

3. hpracing007

hpracing007

I think it's because they want to be as physically close to the road in front of them as possible.

Which is dangerous, if they ever crash hard enough for the airbag to come out... :scared:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  4. jpa

jpa CLM

I often think the same thing when people reach under the top of their steering wheel to turn it. I don't want to see what will happen to their elbow joint or fingers if the airbag deploys then.

I notice the young and female (sometimes minority) drivers do this a lot with one hand on their cell. Usually their seat is leaned back so far, they have to hold onto the wheel to hold themselves upright. I had a girl driving next to me the other day much like this...there was duct tape holding the whole left side of her car together and I'm pretty sure she had to climb in and out the window.

5. maynardwix

maynardwix Notre Dame Fan!

These are my thoughts exactly, I have seen it a lot too where they move the seat up real close to the stearing wheel.

6. F14Scott

F14Scott Luggage CLM

Oh, that reminds me. How about the women (always women) who ride in the passenger seats with their feet up on the dashboard. I want to find a cop or paramedic who has seen the result of that airbag deployment, to find out what happens. Do their knees go through their heads, or do their legs just blow off?

7. 9lock

9lock Guest

When you reach that age you will have the answer to that question.

8. holyjohnson

holyjohnson

Gods trying to get them out of the drivers seat!

9. B. Somm

B. Somm Lady B/Team OAF CLM Millennium Member

Personally, I think it's just a natural reaction to the situation.

I find that I do the same thing when I'm driving in hazardous conditions. Most of the time I don't even realize that I've achieved that "Oh crap, I can't see the road anymore!" position until I get to my destination and have to peel my fingers off of the steering wheel!

I doubt that it's "only women & old people" that do it.

However, maybe another reason that 'we' do that, is because we have to be extra alert for male drivers who are too busy looking to see what other drivers are doing instead of paying attention to where they're going!! :supergrin:

B. :outtahere: :rofl:

10. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

I had a male friend who always did that. He was letting someone drive his van once, and they ran into a car stopped at a red light. His FOOT went through the friggin' windshield.

I didn't hear about it until after everything was worked out and his glass repaired, so of course I laughed my *** off.

Also: LOL @ YOUR POST.

Also also: I sure do see a lot of drivers leaned way back as far as they can that are terrible drivers too :whistling:

11. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

I'll still play the percentages and rather ride with someone over 50 than someone under 30.

12. Skyhook

Skyhook

Dunno, Scott, but it could be they have seen you coming and they are terror-stricken.:dunno:

:supergrin:

More than the wheel-hugging oldsters (who are scary as he.. ) I find those guys lurching over the console at least as alarming. Their bodies just do not seem to be situated in the proper position to see and avoid, know what i mean? Oh, and do not try talking to them.. the bass is munching on their brains... bass as in tortured *music*.:outtahere:

13. jason10mm

jason10mm NRA-GOA-TSRA

Some of it is the inability to read the dashboard instruments, some of it is the poor ergonomics of some vehicles for short folk, and some of it is the lack of situational awareness and fear of the same.

What I find more disturbing are those folks who have their seats so far back and low that only their eyes protrude above the dashboard/window line. I guess it is a stylistic choice, or perhaps a desire to minimize exposure through windows, but it seems like it would severely compromise your ability to operate the vehicle.

14. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    They're drunk, and trying their best not to slide down off the steering wheel onto the floor. :tbo:

15. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

Bracing for impact?

16. ray9898

ray9898

I have seen it....driver had both hands inside the wheel reasting above the air bag chamber. Every bone in both wrists was broken and required extensive surgery.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  17. Psychman

Psychman NRA Patriot Life Member

At least THOSE drivers appear to be paying attention to the task at hand unlike those cell phone users and people texting who are not.

18. GlocknSpiehl

GlocknSpiehl NRA Life Member

How about the young men who drive with only the left hand at 12:00 on the wheel and are slumped so far over into the right seat that they look like they are about to pass out?!

19. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

It's a marker to pick out the bad drivers. Just like a cab has a light lit when it's available. Hunched over driver = WATCH OUT!

20. h2opolo150

h2opolo150

last time i did this was because my damn roller for the window was broken off and my AC didnt work in my car and was 97 degrees outside my back was all sweaty in my shirt and stuck to my seat and just felt down right gross