Why didn't Glock just make a Gen III with an interchangeable backstrap?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by 7.62FMJ, Feb 2, 2010.

1. 7.62FMJ

7.62FMJ

I have a 19 Gen III, have owned G20SF, G26, G19C, G23, G30 etc.

Now, I'm looking at the Gen IV abortion and can't undertand why they simply didn't add an interchangeable backstrap to the current Gen III?

2. mixflip

mixflip

I think they made too many changes to keep calling it the same old gen 3 with a new backstrap?

They changed the grip texture which is better than the RTF
    They changed the recoil guide rod spring to dual springs for less felt recoil and longevity
    They changed the mag release button so its reversable
    They changed the magazines so they can work with reversed mag buttons
    And of course they added the backstrap options

So it didnt make logical sense to just call it a gen 3 with a new backstrap. At least thats my take on the whole thing.

3. SIERRA SIX

SIERRA SIX

Gen IV = Trash compared to Gen III

4. minkis18

minkis18

they changed the generation because they wanted to. No one forced them to make MBS frames in the first place.

It's better than many brands, "if you don't like it, buy a different gun!"

5. JBP55

JBP55

Plus 1.

6. tampashooters

tampashooters Shellback

Come on dude. Do you even own one? I didn't think so.

7. .45Super-Man

.45Super-Man

Glock has fallen behind. They're just now adding interchangeable backstraps after how many other mfg's have been doing it for years?? A telescoping guiderod.....big deal, nothing original there! A different grip texture.....who cares?? If you want to see what the next generation will feature 10 years from now...look at what other mfg's are doing NOW. There will be NO Glock "carbine" or anything else, just rehashing and milking the death out of the original G17.

8. LRB2GZ

LRB2GZ

The main problem I have is the incompatibility of Gen 4 slides/frames to Gen 3. At least with Gen 2s you could always "upgrade".

If a person has a problem with a Gen 2 frame now GLOCK just replaces the frame with a Gen 3, end of issue.

In 5-10 years if my Gen 3 frame or slide fails and GLOCK is no longer produces Gen 3 stuff are they going to replace my whole gun with a Gen 4 setup? Am I going to be S.O.L? This really concerns me.

9. SnowCajun

SnowCajun Old, no cure!

I wish they'd have made an interchangable front strap also for those of us who don't like the finger grooves bumps, that'd sure be nice to get rid of them. I'd have thought if they were going to do that for the backstrap, especially three or four pieces, they'd do the the front for the finger grooves too. Too bad.

10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

Glock had a chance to really make some positive changes and new models that users wanted, and they flubbed it.

11. 1985 4Runner

1985 4Runner Agitator

Exactly.

I have three Gen 3 G19s.

I proably won't be buying a Gen 4.

12. ChristopherBurg

ChristopherBurg

Glock is playing catch up and since they're doing that they might as well rip the bandage off and change everything at once.

Would people be happier if the Generation 4 was just a Generation 3 with interchangeable back straps only to have the Generation 5 include telescopic recoil springs? Eventually, if you want to dramatically improve a design, you need to dump backwards compatibility. I just with Glock would have set their guns up to use an ambidextrous magazine release as opposed to only allowing you to swap the safety back and forth. Either way I'm happy they are improving their product.

With how popular previous generation Glock pistols were I don't see parts availability drying up. Think about it Glock has millions of guns in circulation and their reputation is based on reliability to easy of maintenance. I don't think they are going to throw that away simply to avoid supporting older pistols.

EDIT: Accidentally typed ambidextrous safety instead of magazine release. I shouldn't be allowed near a computer before I have my coffee. Thanks DannyR for pointing that out to me.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  13. CBennett

CBennett

they cant flub it Glock="perfection"

14. shootindave

shootindave

Hmmmmm..... My 3rd Gen G22 wasn't a big fan of shooting with a tac light attached.... even with the new mag followers and 11 coil springs. My new Gen 4 has a smaller/better grip, bigger/better mag release and EVEN shoots with a TRL-1 attached.

Sold my 3rd Gen.... it was lacking some much needed "Perfection"

15. vafish

vafish

It's worked for the 1911 for the last 100 years. It might work for Glock too.

16. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Yer right. My 1998 G26 has one of those.

'Drew

17. matteblack

matteblack

X2 Gen 4's are great.

18. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Waiting for Gen 5.

Gaston has lost his mind.

19. Tailhunter

Tailhunter Glockman

interesting take ...... the Glock had no need of change. Just because the girls wanted to play is the only reason for all this back strap crap. The Glock is a great gun and could stay the way it is forever ... and still be perfect. Now the carbine, that I really would like to see ....

20. .45Super-Man

.45Super-Man

If Gaston were in fact a small arms designer, you know there would have been far more dramatic changes to the original platform aside from changes in grip textures,etc. I'll stick to my belief that, while Gaston may have set forth the criteria for the P80(G17)...he was not the designer. I can't be the only one that finds it uncanny that a curtain rod designer, single handedly and out of the blue, designs a pistol that changes the entire industry and then is capable of nothing more than changes in grip textures for the next 25 years! Guys.....come on, seriously! Just google the name "Wilhelm Bubits" and it will all start to make sense!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010