Why cops are throwing in the towel.

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Sgt127, Jun 14, 2020.

1. walkinguf61

walkinguf61

Di you see the new NYPD directive?

“Never use a chokehold, neckhold, or headlock on the subject of an arrest. Never sit, kneel or stand on the subject’s torso — including the back, the chest, or the abdomen,”

https://nypost.com/2020/06/25/never...s-about-new-laws-after-first-officer-charged/

2. fastbolt

fastbolt

Why not just skip to the chase? State that officers are to immediately cease the use of any physical contact or force beyond that needed to gently apply cuffs to compliant suspects who voluntarily submit and request to be arrested? :p

Then, offer an app so that compliant suspects can schedule their submission to being arrested to a time most convenient to them? :p

pgg00 likes this.

3. blueiron

blueiron

Do the NYPD prohibitions include consenting spouse exemptions?

pgg00 likes this.
  4. Blanton

Blanton

More like saying the obvious....

Unk likes this.
  5. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Wish you active duty guys the best.
    :)

6. fx77

fx77 CLM

I know
    wait for written consent from the perp
    Have a form in 152 languages and it will state perp gives permission to be cuffed lying prone ewith LEO on his back with knee at vetebral level T 10 , of course the perp has to sign and implied consent is not acceptable.
    :)

7. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    You think?

8. jk_226

jk_226

I'm with you on this. I started 16 years ago. I was one of 3 hired off that test. On the last test they hired something like 8 or 9.

The thing is, of most of the new guys I've seen in recent years, they don't seem to have the same level of dedication and interest in policing as we did. Right out of field training when we weren't shagging calls, we were out there finding B&E suspects, drunk drivers, drug dealers, and anyone else who needed some police attention.

Maybe I'm just getting old and crusty, but it seems like now the new guys just sit back and wait for calls to come in. If you're near retirement, I can understand being burnt out and doing what you have to to make it, but right out of the academy, if you're laying back and just waiting for calls, why did you take the job?

Ohsheepdog and pgg00 like this.
  9. fastbolt

fastbolt

Hey, so they can be paid to sit around and be engaged in social media on their smart phones.

Seeing young cops grouped together in "social media activity" clusters is even less appealing than seeing regular young people shambling around the sidewalks, or zoning out while seated at some coffee shop, so engrossed in their smart phones that they're completely oblivious to the world outside their bubble.

10. evlbruce

evlbruce

One of the guys I follow on YT is gone, to make a long vid short the Atlanta situation was the last straw. Command doesn't have your back, it's CYA 24/7:

Newcop761 likes this.
  11. fastbolt

fastbolt

Thanks for linking that. Not having followed him all that much (only what I've seen here in GT threads), I hadn't realized he'd had such a relatively short time in LE, and maybe the last 3rd of it working part-time.

I can better understand why he decided to pull the plug after deciding the risk/benefit analysis was skewed against him and his family's future.

I rather suspect he may not be the only cop with a similarly short time invested in the profession who may decide the future of remaining in LE is no longer beneficial.

Combine this with the growing number of cops who are close enough to retirement to leave and get a pension, or those who have over-stayed the time required to qualify for a pension (But they just wanted to keep working) ... and the Public is likely going to wake up one day and wonder where all the good cops suddenly went. Oh well. Consequences are ... consequences.

Best of luck Mike The Cop.

Ohsheepdog, evlbruce and pgg00 like this.
  12. Morris

Morris CLM

Pet peeve of mine. Problem was, a rollback of interaction and direct involvement due to Covid protocols didn't help.

fastbolt and Ohsheepdog like this.