Why cops are throwing in the towel.

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Sgt127, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Tvov

Tvov

Jade Falcon likes this.
  2. Triple Taps

Triple Taps

I understand, but disagree that it is the only job where you can do everyting right and lose everything.
    Our soldiers, especially those at Arlington would disagree too.

I also disagree that "It’s the only job where the same citizens you risk your life for hate you for it"

Our brave soldiers that were fortunate to return from the Viet Nam war, were hated, SPIT upon, many companies would not hire them. Many were hated by their own family members, and wives filed for a divorce.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020

3. fastbolt

fastbolt

If you follow the embedded link in the posted article to the original article in Lawofficer.com, it shows more than 7700 comments, instead of 525 comments, and includes this bit:

https://www.lawofficer.com/america-we-are-leaving/

pgg00, Sgt127 and Jade Falcon like this.
  4. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

I think Law Enforcement needs to rethink retirements. Instead of 20 years of service or age 50 or 55. Let them go when they 'burnt out'. Some leave law enforcement after the 'honeymoon phase', three to seven years. More mature people realize the job sucks and leaves for something else.

I know cops who should leave the job but at $120K annually they still want new cars and hefty pay checks. So in my experience those are the ones that end up on 20/20 or 60 Minutes doing something stupid. JMHO :cop:

Sgt127 likes this.
  5. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

Even if you live in Mayberry somebody there hated Barney. But Andy he was a great guy to everyone.

[​IMG]

6. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6 Fullclip's Life Matters! FLM!!

The old saying "elections have consequences" doesn't tell the whole story. the state run education system and marxist universities created this situation we are in now, coupled with unfettered immigration of the lowest of the low from the most $hit-hole of countries.

The war we should be fighting is the abolition of the public education system and the severe reduction in immigration as well as immigration reform. These yield long term results, but these are the only ones worth fighting for.

Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 12.59.22 PM.png

chemboy, Agonizer, GPalmer and 4 others like this.
  7. Bish1309

Bish1309

I was thinking the same thing. Pathetic mindset of the commenters.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  8. fastbolt

fastbolt

I remember reading something written by a psychologist many years ago, in which he proposed that police ought to be given full retirements, and made to retire, after having served less than 20 years. I think it was 15 years?

He justified that by saying that this way the retired officers would still be able to successfully transition to any other careers they might care to choose, or just be retired, and also be compensated for the mental/emotional stress they suffered ... and ... be able to get out from under that stress before it ruined their lives, health, families, etc.

Now, looking back at it, he might've been onto something.

AGF0526, nikerret, quantico and 7 others like this.
  9. Pluto57

Pluto57

This is a commendable attitude and probably not one I would have if I were a cop right now. Thanks.

GPalmer and Sgt127 like this.
  10. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

I respectfully disagree.

Most officers, deputies, et cetera do what they got to do. It is bad Sergeants, Lieutenants, Captains on up to bad Chiefs and Sheriffs.

allegedly ... A Chief does not correct a bad Captain and it goes all the way to the street. How do you fix a thug street cop when his Sergeant is a drunk, the Lieutenant is doing street drugs and hookers and the Captain is a adulterer, womanizer and sexually harasses female officers... allegedly :cop:

AnthonyC and Dukeboy01 like this.
  11. fastbolt

fastbolt

This is a typical example of how some people who have chosen to accept the heavy burden of wearing a badge will continue to serve, even if the Public not only doesn't appreciate them, but actively denigrates and attacks them for their service.

Granted, it may ultimately mean a significant part of his motivation may initially be based upon him continuing to be able to protect his little piece of a civilized society (where his family lives), but the rest of society still gets to benefit by his daily sacrifice ... even if they don't/won't appreciate it.
    :waving:

I liked to think (when I was working) that this is why we, as a group, put up with the working conditions and all-around amount of crap that came our way each day.

1L26, ranger1968 and NYhunter518 like this.
  12. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

I agree. A side-note is it can help prevent LEO suicides too. :cop:

pgg00 and District18 like this.
  13. Mattz

Mattz

Well said... this is the elephant in the room. You have a school system that is changing ideology of kids... you have millions of immigrants coming into the country that could care less about our country or it's history and you have a media and social media that is increasingly becoming anti-American. This is the perfect storm and I don't see it slowing down anytime soon.

14. fastbolt

fastbolt

I suspect that his idea would encounter rigid resistance for at least a couple of reasons.

Firstly, it would be expensive. Many municipal, county and even state-run pension plans haven't been effectively managed and funded, as it is. Start retiring peace officers at their full salaries after only 15 years and those systems are going to tank, and others that have been borderline are going to tip over the precipice.

Secondly, there are a lot of people serving in the profession who seem to define their sense of self and self-worth by "wearing the badge". You've (we've all) known the type. The ones who don't want to leave until they have to be carried out on a board. The ones who can't envision themselves "ever being anything other than a cop". If they can't wear a badge, they don't see themselves as "being worth anything" anymore. Well, that's another kettle of fish for the psychs to figure out, and who knows, but it may eventually be determined to be a precursor sign to it actually being time to hang up the badge. ;)

1L26, pgg00 and District18 like this.
  15. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

I’m on the fence. For me law enforcement is a part time job. I’m very lucky to work in a community that still vigorously supports law enforcement, folks still wave with all their fingers and regularly stop to tell me they appreciate me.

I’m even more fortunate that it’s not complete Mayberry. There’s stuff going on and my days are usually steady. So it’s a supportive environment that’s not boring, doesn’t hurt that the chief is a wonderful human who supports us to the end.

That said, the downside to this being a part time job is that during these times I’m left thinking “is it worth exposing myself and my family to more danger and far more liability for a job that doesn’t even pay that much?”

I struggle with that question a lot, especially during times like these.

But in the end, it’s something I enjoy. I have quit law enforcement twice in the 12 years I’ve been certified, each time for about a year and each time I get the itch and find a way back.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    District18 and merlynusn like this.
  16. cityborncountrylivin

cityborncountrylivin

Lot's of public servants are willing to risk their own death or serious injury.

Their families now must face financial ruin also.

I doubt any spouse signed on for finacial ruin.

Lots of experts out their spouting what they don't know. Let them do the job.

GPalmer, District18 and Sgt127 like this.
  17. NYhunter518

NYhunter518

I’m kind of in the same boat. When I got out of the military I was a full time city cop. Loved it but missed home and thought I wanted to be a normal civilian. Moved home and operated heavy equipment for 6 months missed being part of something so I got into state corrections. Great pay and benefits and I don’t hate my job but missed being on the streets so I got a part time city cop job on the side 2 nights a week. I love it and part of my wants to take the pay cut and go back to doing it full time. But the other part of me wishes I could leave it behind keep my corrections job and do my 2 doubles a week and enjoy the part time work with full time pay but I know I would miss being on the street.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. walkinguf61

walkinguf61

Antifa isn’t going to fill the positions. They aren’t.

Just move to where people appreciate police officers.

District18 likes this.
  19. walkinguf61

walkinguf61

I don’t see soldiers being sued that often. Again , we are willing to risk ourselves but not our families futures .

Single guys and women will continue to take the job , get hooked in the idea of just a few more years for my pension and pray the lightning doesn’t hit them.

Sgt127 likes this.
  20. ThomasM4

ThomasM4

What does the union say?