Why conversion barrels ???

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by olderguns, Feb 12, 2010.

1. olderguns

olderguns

I thought about one so i could shoot 10mm from my g21sf, but after checking prices why not just buy a 10mm then you have two whole guns instead of shearing one frame, the box they come in looks about as big as a glocks case,. I mean if they were half the price of a new gun i could see buying one. I'm I missing something

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  2. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

That is my argument against the 22 conversion kit for Glocks.

You can buy a real nice Ruger 22 for the money and have 2 guns.

Practice with the .22 conversion does not exactly duplicate the full power of the original pistol.

However, practice helps no matter which gun is used. I use my Ruger.

If Glock would only make a full size 22 caliber pistol.

I bought factory barrels to change my calibers and have never priced caliber conversion barrels. I didn't realize they are that expensive.

3. deutscheglocker

deutscheglocker

I bought a Glock 32 (.357sig) about 10 years ago and ran a few 700/800 round training classes with it. I always bought Blazer aluminum cased range ammo,

They stopped making that ammo and the price was quite a bit higher for brass cased so I bought a factory .40 bbl and converted the pistol to be a G23.

I recently bought dies to reload .357sig so I'll be pulling that bbl back out this spring after I reload some.

I also have a .22 conversion system for my Glock 23 and 32 and I like it. The pistol IS my carry pistol so aside from low powered shooting, the gun is my gun so I don't practice with a different grip and feel. When I'm done with the .22, I run about 3 mags of full powered ammo.

4. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

I had a Glock 20 with a .40 conversion barrel that saved me a lot of money by buying .40 ammo instead of the more expensive 10mm. Made for low recoil practice as well.
    After shooting a G-35, I had no interest in .40 caliber Glocks, I just used the .40 round for practice in the gun I did like, the G-20.
    $160 for the conversion barrel is lot cheaper than $550 for a new gun.
    BTW, a little punctuation would make it easier on all of us.

5. stengun

stengun

Howdy,

Why conversion barrels ??? Simple. I was shooting and reloading about 700rds a week and at the time 9mm was $3.86 for steel cased ammo at Academy Sports so I bought a LW 40-9mm conversion barrel for my G23.

I was shooting 200-300rds a week of 9mm though it and this meant less reloading .40cal stuff.

Same thing with a .22LR conversion kit, I bought a used Ciener kit for my G23 and I started shooting a 500rds a week thought it.

The 9mm barrel and .22LR kit saved alot of money and reloading time plus it allowed me to shoot a whole lot more.

Paul

6. vafish

vafish

True conversion kits don't give you an exact duplicate of firing full power loads.

But the advantage they have over a 2nd .22 pistol is that they give you practice with the exact same grip and trigger pull and can be used in your exact same carry holster.

While you can buy a used Ruger .22 for the price of an Advantage Arms conversion kit the grip angle, trigger pull, and holster needed will be completely different. You can't put your Ruger in your CCW holster and practice drawing and firing. You can't pull your Ruger spare magazines out of your daily carry mag pouch and practice a reload.

They give you about 80%-90% of exactly the same as your carry pistol for pennies a shot.

Using a .22 conversion kit you can actually work on your muscle memory, you can practice your draw, and get all the advantages of dry firing with the added feed back of knowing where your bullets actually hit.

As for why a conversion barrel. A lone wolf G22 or G23 conversion barrel to 9MM is only $99. That's about 1/5th the cost of a new Glock. Then you have the option of shooting 2 calibers in your gun.

7. MSgt Dotson

MSgt Dotson

$100 vs $550? :)

(guess which is which..!)

8. Mr Wasabi

Mr Wasabi

+1. I got a .40 and 9mm conversion barrel for my G33 both together for under $150 shipped (used/mint here on GT). Heck of a lot cheaper than two more Glocks. Turned my G33 into three Glocks with .357SIG, .40 and 9mm capability.

9. bnkrtstk

bnkrtstk

I bought a Lone Wolf 40-9 barrel for my G23 because at the time I had more 9mm ammo stored away than I did .40. Then the paranoia started and everyone was buying up the 9mm ammo in stores and .40 became plentiful so I have about the same of each. I use it when I take my other 9mm's to the range.

10. MSgt Dotson

MSgt Dotson

My GLock 35 is now also a 9x19 (Lone Wolf bbl) with a 10 second barrel/mag swap...

My 15 yr old daughter is not a fan of the .40's muzzle flip....! :)

I also have a .40 conversion bbl for my Glock 20...nice, light recoil, w/ 20+1 capacity with Arrendondo extended basepad!

11. olderguns

olderguns

Ok I can see the 22 conversion, or the nine, but I was thinking 45acp to 10mm, And for a KKM 10mm conversion barrel ,2 10mm magazines, A 22lb reccoil spring,+ shipping, it will cost me a little over half of what a new gun would. and I've seen a lot of complaints about FTF & FTE, just wondered if any of you guys have tried the 45acp to 10mm and how well it works for you,, sorry for all the questions.

12. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

Yeah, 45 to 10mm doesn't make as much sense as the others. You may end up needing to swap extractors too. The G-20 also has a heavier slide that compensates for the recoil of the 10mm. The G-20 was my favorite Glock ever, and I regret selling it, especially now that I handload.
    If you want a 10mm Glock and can afford a G-20, you won't regret buying one. The G20 was the most accurate Glock I've shot, and it handles recoil so well that you will enjoy the power of the 10mm.
    No need to apologize for the questions, sorry if we ganged up on you. I guess we defend our conversions because we like them.