close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why Choose 45 Calibre for the Newest Glock?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by PSU_G34, Mar 20, 2004.

1. PSU_G34

PSU_G34 London Calling

I have what may be an ignorant question (If so forgive me).

Why did Glock choose 45 calibre for its new cartridge?

I understand that the 45GAP is sort of like a short 45acp but they do use different brass, don't they? Not just trimmed acp brass. They do use the same bullets though, so I guess that is a reason.

It seems from another thread, that you can use 45acp dies to reload 45 GAP, so I guess that another reason.

Why not go to a larger calibre, to avoid the obvious comparisons between the two rounds? I saw an ad in a gun rag for some kind of cartridge called the 50GI in a 1911 style pistol. The web site claims a 300gr. bullet at 700-900fps, depending on the load. The case is 45acp length, but it could have be shortened just like the 45.

Just think of the bragging rights of owning a 50 calibre Glock. The full size pistol would still hold 10 rounds (probably 11 or 12). It certainly would bring a whole new dimension to the 9 vs 45 argument. I bet they would have sold like hotcakes.

2. Glock9MM

Glock9MM Is it a 9MM?

One of the major reasons for producing the G37 was to create a .45 caliber pistol with the frame size of a G17/22. The G21 has a larger grip to accomodate the longer ACP cartridge than other Glocks, and the 37 allows Glock to fit 10 rounds of .45 GAP (roughly comparable to a .45 ACP in power, etc.) in a frame size that is easy for anyone to grip and shoot.

-Glock9MM