Why can't I buy a sixgun?

Discussion in 'Illinois Glockers' Club' started by behere, Feb 22, 2017.

1. behere

behere

Every couple of days I receive an email from Gallery of Arms, offering a different gun at a sale price. Sat the gun was a cheap 22 single action cowboy type gun. Now I don't really need or have any real use for one, but I wouldn't mind having one. It's too large for concealed carry & a 22 single action wouldn't be my 1st choice for home defense. Still if the price was right it would be a fun toy.
    I put in my zip code (Chicago) and was told it was illegal in my area. Now this morning I get a new ad featuring an assault rifle & zip it spat out 6 suburban gun shops I could pick it up with no problems.
    BTW I have a CCW & FOID card. Does anyone know what's banned in Chicago?:brickwall:

2. Sombra

Sombra

You have to carefully study Chi. Mun. Code § 8-20-170, et seq. and Cook Co. Code of Ord. § 54-211, et seq. Where there is a conflict between the two (e.g., magazine capacity), the city ordinance controls if you are in Chicago.

Many out-of-state (and in-state) suppliers are deeply confused about what is and what is not legal in Illinois, Cook County, and the City of Chicago. For example, under the City of Chicago ordinance, the maximum magazine capacity is fifteen rounds, but many on-line retailers refuse to sell magazines that have more than ten rounds, which is the maximum allowed under the Cook County ordinance. Other retailers refuse to sell magazines altogether--probably thinking that it's better to lose some business to Illinois residents than potentially run afoul of rules that are difficult to follow or which might change.

One retailer told me that a particular pump-action shotgun was illegal because it had an AR-style telescoping stock. I looked and looked and looked at the county and city laws and could not, for the life of me, figure out what the heck he meant. When I pressed him on it, he cited to the rule that prohibits semiautomatic shotguns with "a folding, telescoping or thumbhole stock." Cook Co. Code of Ord. § 54-211(4)(B). I explained to him why that obviously did not apply to pump-action shotguns and further explained that the Chicago ordinance specifically excludes from its definition of "assault weapon" any "firearm that is manually operated by bolt, pump, lever, or slide action," Chi. Mun. Code § 8-20-010 (defining "Assault Weapon" subpara. (b)(1)). The retailer nevertheless told me that because it "looked like" an illegal semiautomatic assault weapon, he wouldn't sell it to me.

So, the bottom line is that there is no rhyme or reason to what RETAILERS think is permitted or not. All you can do is apprise yourself of the law, consult a lawyer if needed, and then try to find a retailer who will work with you.

THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    behere likes this.

3. behere

behere

Got the same thing. You can buy a six gun, just not that six gun. Chicago law prohibits very cheap guns like Hi Points and guns with a very low t melting point. Somehow this particular gun falls into that grouping. So if you want a cowboy gun, your going to have to pony up (pun intended) & spend $200-$300. BTW, that gun has been offered a few times a very cheap price & my guess is that it's a POS that would fall apart. Besides when you add the FFL transfer fee, to that Rough Rider (?), your almost at the cost of a decent used 22 cowboy gun. But then if your going to spend $250-$300, way not go just another $100 and get a Ruger 357 Blackhawk? Saw a used one for $399 & already have a 357 mag & don't need a cowboy gun, but God help me I want it. LOL

4. VN350X10

VN350X10

I work at a dealer in Lakemoor, IL, about 50 mi. NW of Chi Town. IL won't let you buy an alloy frame Rough Rider or a Hi-Point pistol due to the silly frame melt-temp laws.
    Rough Rider does also offer that revolver in a steel frame, which is legal to sell in IL.
    Hope this helps. FWIW, the Rough Riders that I've seen are a very good revolver for the price,
    not a Ruger, but a good reliable firearm with an excellent warranty.

uncle albert

behere likes this.