GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 93 Posts

·
Descent Terminated
33,345 Posts
I ran into that replacing 4 wrecked Corollas ... (daughters ... :upeyes:)

The price of high mileage same year cars was within $2K of a new one. Bought the new one every time.

·
M&P
5,878 Posts
I live in N'east Florida. In my area truck prices here are through the roof to begin with, but when talking Toyotas... forgetaboutit.

Just like trying to buy any other PARTICULAR style of vehicle. First, never let them kinow you want a Tacoma, tell them you're an S10 man and let them try to sell you a Tacoma. Then, take your time and don't not walk away if they are being unreasonable. Stay on top of yourself as far as having a "squeal point price." If you keep pressuring yourself to find a good deal, and DON'T RUSH, eventually the hard work will pay off.

ETA: Last truck I helped someone buy took almost a month of looking, over 500 miles of driving around, over 80 plus hours of "yacking" with salespeople, probably 20 plus hours of serious lobby room talking and test drives, roughly 4 hours of negotiating and last but not least, a careful review of the contracts brought to the table before letting the buyer sign. Walked out on two inked deals, due to dealership and or salesman shenanigans, before finally agreeing to a sale.

To me that's a LOT of money spent in time and driving around, etc. At this point, I'd be unsure if you/them really saved much, if anything. I'm not saying take the first bad deal that comes around, but my time is worth about $50/hr. So, spending that much time had better net me a savings of several thousand $ in order for myth I've to be worth it.

·
Registered
443 Posts
We drove our purchased new '85 Landcruiser for 10 years and sold it for what we paid for it new.

:faint:

Some people are stupid about Toyotas.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
We drove our purchased new '85 Landcruiser for 10 years and sold it for what we paid for it new.

:faint:

Some people are stupid about Toyotas.
I'm looking to sell my 1999 4Runner Limited and move up to a 1997 FJZ-80 Landcruiser or LX450. Cruisers are a pain to shop for. They're either beat to hell or cherry, few in between.

·
NRA Life Member
14,380 Posts
To me that's a LOT of money spent in time and driving around, etc. At this point, I'd be unsure if you/them really saved much, if anything. I'm not saying take the first bad deal that comes around, but my time is worth about $50/hr. So, spending that much time had better net me a savings of several thousand $ in order for myth I've to be worth it.
I agree. When I went shopping for a car, I simply emailed the local dealerships, then asked the one I had test driven at to match the best deal. Spent about 30 seconds on the email and 2 phone calls that were less than 5 minutes. Could I have gotten another $1000 off? Possibly, but driving 500 miles and negotiating for hours and dragging around my 2 kids (or finding a babysitter) was just not worth any savings that may or may not exist.

·
Banned
2,157 Posts
I have my eye out for one too but am going slow- they do get snapped up FAST around here. My neighbor just bought one with 165K for house/yard duties and it runs ridiculously well for that mileage. Toyotas are generally extremely reliable. My 4Runner has 110K and runs/feels like new. My Ford Ranger was falling apart by 110K as was my Dodge Durango...I try to stick with Toyotas (though my off-road toy is a rigged-up 2014 Rubicon). Keep an eye out for individual sales but also be prepared to jump on it if it checks out. There was a guy in Durango selling one with 230k for around $5,500 and it was gone in two days. They hold their value for sure. If you get a good one (4x4) and need the money suddenly, it is fast and easy to sell....they are dead reliable as long as basic care has been done on time. I'll pay extra and cash for one but I want a one-owner private sale, and I want it checked out by my mechanic...compression, any leaks, engine state, etc. I have driven other trucks with high mileage and they rattle, squeak, and generally sounds rough so the Tacoma it is. Good luck!

Oh, we will eventually trade the 4Runner for a Land Cruiser...I am NOT looking forward to the process though I do like Cruisers. I have a couple of friends with 4Runners (V8s) and Cruisers, and they run forever. I'd like to wait till next year, at least.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
ETA: Last truck I helped someone buy took almost a month of looking, over 500 miles of driving around, over 80 plus hours of "yacking" with salespeople, probably 20 plus hours of serious lobby room talking and test drives, roughly 4 hours of negotiating and last but not least, a careful review of the contracts brought to the table before letting the buyer sign. Walked out on two inked deals, due to dealership and or salesman shenanigans, before finally agreeing to a sale.
That's two and a half weeks of work and 500 miles of wear and tear from driving around. What is the value of your time and the buyer's time over that period?

·
USN Retired
7,656 Posts
Because it's cheaper than a used Seattle? :confused:

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I bought our 2005 4R limited w 111K and registered to a lady in the upstate. ONLY place it's been. She had all work done at Toy dealership.

It was put on the lot one day for $13,991. I had a POS jeep GC that had gremilns and was tired of chasing them.

I really wasn't going to buy a car that day, but had I not, I'm sure someone would had snagged it w/in a day or two.

They probably took it on trade for $10K is my guess.

·
Registered
15,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I bought our 2005 4R limited w 111K and registered to a lady in the upstate. ONLY place it's been. She had all work done at Toy dealership.

It was put on the lot one day for $13,991. I had a POS jeep GC that had gremilns and was tired of chasing them.

I really wasn't going to buy a car that day, but had I not, I'm sure someone would had snagged it w/in a day or two.

They probably took it on trade for $10K is my guess.
I have no qualms buying a 10yr old 4Runner with around 100k miles for around $12k; in fact, that's probably what I'll end up with...

I just don't get paying $2k less for a used truck with miles...

The salesman yesterday was touting one of the used Tacomas because it had a lift kit and mudders and that's why it was actually MORE than a new one... :upeyes:

Dude; I don't want to buy a truck that was likely abused off-road and now is more prone to suspension and drivetrain issues due to larger tires... Dumbass... :steamed:

·
Registered
378 Posts
All them ISIS guys in Iraq drive up the prices on Toyota trucks. If you notice their convoys they only drive Tacomas with machine guns mounted in the bed. Maybe the prices will come down when they move up to better military hardware.:supergrin:

·
Descent Terminated
33,345 Posts
Toyota gets an-arm and-a-leg for the 'machine-gun in the bed option ... :whistling:

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I have no qualms buying a 10yr old 4Runner with around 100k miles for around $12k; in fact, that's probably what I'll end up with...

I just don't get paying $2k less for a used truck with miles...

The salesman yesterday was touting one of the used Tacomas because it had a lift kit and mudders and that's why it was actually MORE than a new one... :upeyes:

Dude; I don't want to buy a truck that was likely abused off-road and now is more prone to suspension and drivetrain issues due to larger tires... Dumbass... :steamed:
Exactly....aftermarket stuff is a no go for me. Mine is 2WD & in my area, 4WD would have been a waste of $$.

·
Formerly retired EE.
13,276 Posts
I started out looking for a Tacoma crew cab late in 2009. I ended up with a 2009 Nissan Frontier crew cab with a sunroof and only 7,000 miles for $21,000. If I got a Tacoma with the same options it would had 100,000 on it and been older. I love Toyotas but I ended up with a Nissan which has served me well for 4 years.
We have had very poor reliability from recent Nissan products. So bad we got rid of my wife's 2007 Sentra SER Spec-V with only 40K miles on it.

• New Clutch
  • New AC Compressor
  • Manual Transmission Overhaul

The AC compressor happened early and was covered under warrantee. The Clutch and transmission was on our nickel (ouch) and the failures occurred a year apart (all work done by dealer).

My wife was very interested in getting a 350Z car, but the reliability record for those is absolutely terrible. I now lump Nissan in with Chrysler for reliability problems.

My Toyota 2010 Rav4 has been cruising along just fine with minimal issues (just oil, brakes and tires). I am giving it to my daughter in May when she turns 16.

I am looking for a nice, low mileage (< 150K miles), 4x4 Toyota SR5 Pickup for myself. Something from the late '80s or early '90s. I would prefer an unmolested one with an R22 or R22E engine. I would pay $5K for something like that.

I totally understand why Toyota trucks retain value so well. There isn't any other 30 year old truck I would be willing to buy for a daily driver. People routinely drive these trucks for 300K miles or more.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Here where I live the warranty on used certified Toyotas is 100,000m or 6 years. I'm seeing the local dealer advertising lifetime warranty on certain aspects. I have a 1995 1/2 Tacoma. First model out. Had it since '98. Been a great truck. Only issues were 4wd solenoid motor, leaf spring broke, speed odometer reads wrong some. I really can't complain. But I drove my dads new one and now I'm getting the itch for one (32k-34k). The dealership has plenty of the short bed 4wds. But to find a 4door, 6cyl, long wheel base, non TRD is about impossible. I thought I may wait until August when the new models come out and buy last years, but I bet the price difference wouldn't be worth the wait.

·
Cheese?
9,738 Posts
When resale is that high, it's insane to not get the new one.

You both come out ahead on the car and the eventual resale.

·
Cheese?
9,738 Posts
I ran into that replacing 4 wrecked Corollas ... (daughters ... :upeyes:)

The price of high mileage same year cars was within $2K of a new one. Bought the new one every time.

I love my kids, but not 4x replacement Corollas worth...

I figure buying the first one is more than most people ever get... if they can't take care of it, then they can bicycle or get a bus pass, and I'll foot their pepper spray bills. ;)

·
Registered
974 Posts
Love my Tacoma even though I haven't seen it since November. Took it in for a estimated one month frame replacement. (Recall)
Just called the other day and their still waiting for parts.

Ridiculous.....just ridiculous.

·
Registered
59,812 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
It must be different for those who live in the south. Here, thanks to the salt on the roads, anything that's gone through 10 winters has a rust problem and should be traded regardless of how well it runs.

For that reason, I refuse to pay the premium for a Toyota, new or used. What good is a truck that'll run 300,000 miles if the body has rotted away?

I usually buy new domestics and trade at about 7 or 8 years. Mileage is 60 to 70K and they run fine; but you know the rot has started even if it still looks good.

Did make an exception last year when I found a plain-Jane four-cylinder '13 Frontier with less than 1000 miles. Liked the size better than the domestics and the seating position better than the Tacoma. Good winter and work truck.

21 - 40 of 93 Posts