close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why are so many people "afraid" of using corrosive ammo?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by 427, Mar 18, 2012.

1. 427

Why are so many people "afraid" of corrosive ammo?

I read on threads where corrosive ammo is mentioned, some people seem to think that their weapon will be irreparably damaged if it's used. Is it ignorance, laziness or an innate/inane fear of the word "corrosive"? I'm not sure...

It's one extra step of cleaning with water, preferably warm/hot, (swabbing the bore wiping the bolt face), then just doing the regular cleaning ritual. That's it.

BTW, Water is all that's needed. Water has been used to clean firearms long before windex and other chemicals were invented.

I don't know, I'm just curious, I guess.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  2. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

What exactly is corrosive ammo?

3. 427

Corrosive ammunition has a primer, that, when fired, ignites the powder and leaves a residue, (corrosive salts) that will attract moisture and will rust/pit the bore if not cleaned.

Most pre 50's surplus ammo tends to be corrosive. Commie ammo will certainly be corrosive. There's no such thing as "mildly" corrosive, either it is or it isn't.

To prevent any damage corrosive ammo, all that needs to be done is to clean immediately after being done for the day.

4. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Do you consider tul ammo corrosive?

5. 427

Tula ammo?

I treat all russian/soviet ammo as corrosive.

6. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Happy Member

that's just silly

7. 427

Why is that silly? I clean as though russian/soviet ammo is corrosive. One extra step. Besides, that stuff is dirty.

8. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

It just scares me. Nah, but for me it's just a pain so I spend a little more for the non-corrosive Russian stuff. If it's all that was available for sale I would of course use it without hesitation.

9. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

I don't like the idea of my barrel rusting>

10. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

And the idea of rust in my action makes me even more unsettled. Not saying I don't mind shooting a Nagant w/ corrosive ammo and washing it like a dirty dog when I am done. But that's a $79 rifle. Nothing important.

But to each their own.

:wavey:

11. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Yea Tula, never had a problem with it in my 19.

12. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin JMB & MTK

Most, if not all corrosive ammo is surplus, not commercial. If your buying Wolf, Tula, Brown Bear, Silver Bear and the like, it won't be corrosive and should say it on the box.

I prefer non-corrosive ammo but sometimes the corrosive stuff can be had so cheap, it's too hard to pass up.

13. Sheepdog Scout

Sheepdog Scout Behind you!

:upeyes:

14. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

There are a few calibers where shooting corrosive ammo makes sense. The 5.45x39 and 8mm Mauser are prime examples, as are the 7.62x25 and the 7.62x54 cartridges. Corrosive ammo for these is significantly less expensive than non-corrosive ammo, and the guns themselves are often pretty inexpensive. It's worth the slight risk to the guns, and it's worth the extra cleaning steps.

That said, I don't agree with how casual some shooters are about the use of corrosive ammo. The extra cleaning steps are not that big of a deal, but the penalty can be severe if you do it wrong or wait too long to do it. I have an AKM that has a lot of erosion on the bolt face from corrosive ammo fired during previous military service. It still shoots good enough to be a solid training rifle, but it is pretty rough due to the use of corrosive ammo and improper cleaning techniques. I also saw an AKM seize up on day 2 of a class because the owner forgot to flush out the gas tube after a day of shooting corrosive ammo on a rainy first day of training.

15. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

True.

Corrosive ammo is like spraying your gun's action with salt spray. Some corrosive ammo is worse than others.
    Everything that comes in contact with the residue must be cleaned with water. Just do a half ass cleaning job and in a couple weeks you will see rust in parts of the gun you thought you had cleaned.
    Magazines for instance.
    I have a PPSH 41 shooting corrosive ammo. When I first got it I forgot to clean the magazines. Later when I looked at them the top of the magazines and followers were badly rusted.
    Also, even though I thought I washed and oiled the gun throughly, a few weeks later I found a little rust in the bolt and action.

Some years ago I forgot to clean a CZ52. A week or two later I happened to look at the gun and the barrel was BADLY rusted and pitted. There was also rust in other parts of the action. I had probably fired no more than a box of 7.62x25 foreign ammo that was sold as non corrosive.

Just recently I had a ND in my shop when I used the hammer drop safety on a CZ52 and the gun fired.
    I forgot to clean the gun. A couple weeks later I was suprised to see that the forward half of the barrel was rusted bad from just one shot of corrosive ammo. At least this time I caught it before the gun was ruined.

I've been shooting corrosive ammo since 1956 (M1 Garand) and I'll continue to shoot it because it's cheap but the guns must be cleaned well and checked several times in the weeks after cleaning to make sure rust isn't still showing up.

The ammo is better now but the foreign 9x18, 7.62x39, etc, that they labeled "Non Corrosive" on the box, years ago, was still corrosive. I did the nail test and some of the "Non Corrosive" was more corrosive than what was considered corrosive.
    As a rule I consider most any foreign ammo made before about 1980 and all foreign 7.62x25 as corrosive.

16. hogship

hogship Patriot Extraordinaire

I can remember very hot or boiling water in a 55 gallon drum for cleaning M14 rifles. This was basic training at Ft.Lewis,WA in 1967. I doubt seriously that we were using corrosive ammo back then, but I can imagine the hot water was a hold over from and earlier time......and we just cleaned our rifles like it's always been done.

This is the only time I can remember hot water being used for cleaning firearms......and after basic, we pretty much did it like we do it now......with solvent and oil, brushes and cleaning rods.

In Vietnam, we had a solvent tank and brushes for cleaning M60s and M16s for the flight crews......no water. The grunts didn't have that luxury.......they cleaned their weapons individually.

I've wondered about that hot water cleaning bath in basic, but it never really dawned on me that the reason we did it that way was probably inspired by corrosive ammo.......

ooc

17. banger

banger

I agree completly!

The worst rusting from corrosive ammo, that I ever had was after shooting Norinco ammo in 7.62X39.

The kicker is that the boxes were clearly marked "non-corrosive"!

Someone on this forum (sorry I can't give credit to the author), once said words to the effect that, "don't trust the ammo from any country where you would not drink the water".

As far as I am concerned, this is good advise.

Now, to the actual topic....

Do I KNOWINGLY fire corrosive?.....You bet!

It becomes a matter of simply using the correct cleaning procedure when I do.

Consider, when you buy Russian "non-corrosive" ammo and find out your barrel is rusted to pieces, what do you do, complain to... Vladimir Putin?

BTW, before I get "jumped" I do realize that Norinco is Chinese! I use it to illustrate a point.

18. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

I shot two of my rifles yesterday. They are sitting in my safe, uncleaned. They will probably remain uncleaned until after the next range session - or maybe the one after that.

Why would I ever want to shoot corrosive ammo? Non-corrosive is not that much more expensive.

19. Ruble Noon

Ruble Noon "Cracker"

It doesn't bother me in the least but, I have also been shooting front stuffers for a few decades.

20. Ruble Noon

Ruble Noon "Cracker"

Depends on what you are shooting. I have some 7.62x54r that cost $30 for 300 rounds.