close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why are amateur and masters scores listed together?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by legacy38, Aug 18, 2011.

1. legacy38

legacy38 Millennium Member

I shot my first GSSF in 2009; so, perhaps the answer to this question has long ago been given.

Why are the amateur and master scores listed together in everything but Civilian and Guardian? It would seem simpler to do a list of master shooters in order and then a list of amateur shooters in order instead of making one big list and denoting the master shooters with an asterisk.

It certainly would make it easier for the amateur shooters to see how they compared to other amateurs without having to go though a lot of effort, and simply doing two list wouldn't be anymore difficult than denoting the masters.

2. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

Other that GSSF paying the Software company another 10 grand to change the program!:upeyes:

It as simple as taking the Masters (*) and over look their names. It cheaper than the alternative.

Dan:cool:

3. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

Because amciv/guardian competitors can shoot in master stock but not the other way around. Besides, it lets the amatuers see which master shooters they beat. :supergrin:

4. legacy38

$10K to create a spreadsheet is a bit ridiculous.

As it is now, you have to count the number of masters, subtract that from the total number of shooters in the division, and then go back and count down the placing among the amateurs to see where a shooter placed solely among the amateur shooters or the reverse.

5. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

And your point?????????????:dunno:

Dan:cool:

6. legacy38

The point is that printing a list of the master shooters in their order of finish and the amateur shooters in their order of finish would just make too much sense I guess. Why do that when they can all be jumbled together with little asterisks by the master shooters' names so that the competitors have to go through a bunch of steps to separate them? It isn't like the scores aren't imported into a spreadsheet that can then be sorted or anything...

7. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

I think it's great and pretty simple just the way it is. I have no problems seeing the info I want quickly and easily. If it aint broke don't fix it, and it aint broken.

Don

8. ede

ede Bama's Friend

this, i'm pretty slow and it took me about a nano second to figure it out when they started doing it. i tihnk at one point before GSSF started doing the * there was a bit of discussion here about it and someone kicked out the idea of a M after the Masters name and it evolved into the *.

9. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

I have problems with weight, strength & vision, but no problem with the way scores are presented.

10. mbree

mbree SE Minnesota

The only thing I would suggest is to add a note/mention on the report so newbies know what the * represents. It seems the question is asked every year.

I think it is nice seeing where you rank among ALL competitors. You should smile when you see your name listed above one with a *, and note the scores of those ahead of you. If you work/train to put yourself at the top of the list, I believe you will likely find yourself climbing up the list year-to-year.

11. SARDG

SARDG

:) ...and you're a shooter so your hearing can't be any good. What's left there Danny?? :tease:

12. mike g35

mike g35

I agree, I just shot my first match and when I finally figured out the *'s were the master shooters I had no problem figuring out where I really placed. I didn't read about it and nobody told me, it's obvious.

13. mike g35

mike g35

One quick side note, I would rather the GSSF spend 10K on bringing us more and better matches than using it for a spreadsheet nobody needs anyway.

14. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Kitty; I don't think you really want to know. :faint:

Don

15. mikey357

mikey357 CLM

...or MORE "Random" GLOCKS!!!....mikey357

16. jdwatson

jdwatson

I wouldn't mind if they posted the data in a spreadsheet consumable format. I like to do a little analysis on the match. One of the IDPA clubs does that. I like to see how accuracy fairs/fares against speed. Plus, when I did compete regularly I would pull my "line" out of the data to keep track whether my practice was helping or not.

17. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

The programmers who designed the GSSF Scoring and Admin database where not all that swift about designing output spreadsheets.

The GSSF database spits out the results directly in a pdf format. That is what you see posted.

Scott used to have it spit out in an Excel format and then would edit it into something easier to understand.

The spreadsheet was so convoluted with interconnected and nested lines, columns and cells and subcells and you name it that he told me you could correct something on page 2 of the Civilian results and it would at the same time delete something on page 8 of the Subcompact results and you might never know it if you did not spot it once you got down to page 8.

It took most of a whole day to produce a cleaned up set of results, and he just could not continue to squander than kind of time on every set of finals. Especially when the other GSSF Rangemasters never even bothered to try to do the same with the finals that they were responsible for.

You just have to learn how to read it. Glock is not going to improve it any time soon, if ever.