close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why am I so much stronger?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by Glock19Fan, May 24, 2006.

1. Glock19Fan

Glock19Fan Cool Guy

Not even two weeks ago, I remember I could barely bench press 225 two times.

Yesterday, just for fun, I put on 205 and max out on it. I got 10 pretty easily. Today, I put 225 on, and maxed out at 7 times, although I might have got another if I tried. My largest bench press was 250, and right now, I guessing I am doing around 260-270, and I havent done any workouts in the past month, maybe 2-3, and none within the last two weeks.

Whatever is happening, I want it to keep going. I only have enough weight to put 250 on including the bar. Does anyone have an estimate on what my bench press is?

BTW im 5'9" 185 lbs, not that big at all.

Thanks!

2. Marty_G19

Marty_G19

Don't know why you've gained that much strength lately. I know that taking a break and allowing your body to fully recover can make a big difference and allow you to make a good size step up when returning to the gym.

If your using an olympic bar, I think they weigh 45 pounds, so you can add that to the amount of plates your adding on to get your total. Good luck with your routine...

3. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

The only way to know for sure what your max is, is to max out. Use a competent spotter. By the way, bench pressing means your butt never leaves the bench, feet stay put, and the bar touches the chest.

It is difficult to estimate how much someone can max by looking at how many reps they can do with a given weight. It can be different for people, based on how they train. You might be able to get a rough estimate, but it probably won't be accurate.

You got stronger because you probably were doing too much before. Less is more. The strongest men often only bench once, no more than twice, per week.

4. malkore

malkore

Initially, a lot of it has to do with your brain's ability to control the muscles perfectly. After a few weeks, everything is running smoothly, and you have more control over the weight and will find it easier to move.

This couple with the fact that as a newer trainee, any stimuli is going to cause increase in strength and muscle mass.

This is why people often get fast results the first month of dedicated training, and then things slow down to a realistic level.

5. Tilley

Tilley Man of Steel

Are you taking any dietary supplements, like whey protein, eggs whites, power drinks, Dynabol, Joe Weider's Mega-Max, or human growth hormones?

6. Glock19Fan

Glock19Fan Cool Guy

My diet is regular, nothing out of the ordinary, and I havent done any workouts for the past few weeks. Also, I am positive that both bars are 45 pound. My butt stays on the bench (although I noticed pressing you back down, while keeping everything toughing, helps), and I dont bounce the bar off my chest (like some people I know).

I will see if I can max out tomorrow on another friends weight set, and I will tell you guys what I get. Im hoping at least 260.

Also, does anyone have any good workouts? I asked this about a year ago, and lost it all. The workout routine that I have been using for a while goes something like this, although its not 100 percent correct.

Wk 1: 6x10, with the weight going up about 10 pounds each set
    WK 2: 10,8,6,6,6,6
    WK 3: 10,8,6,4,4,4

It goes all the way to week 7 BTW, and I remember the rest right now. Anyone know where to find it?

Thanks!

7. Tilley

Tilley Man of Steel

Sounds good. Bodybuilding takes years, but it's fun and worth it. Remember two things:

1. Pamela Anderson wasn't built in a day.

2. Consistancy is the mother of Arnold!

Great old gym saying: Just shut-up and train!

8. bdcochran

bdcochran

Thanks for the word on Pam Anderson. I thought it was built in a day - and by a plastic surgeon. Glad that I have had my thinking corrected. What an accomplishment!

arnold - consistency. I thought that he admitted that he had taken steroids. Again, I am happy that my understanding was not correct.

9. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Steroids do not equal success. Schwarzenegger may have taken steroids, but without consistent hard workouts and the desire to be the best, he'd be flipping weinerschnitzel in Vienna.

10. bdcochran

bdcochran

Understand that I had dinner in his restaurant last weekend in Santa Monica. I also drive by his block up Mandeville Canyon, CA every few days.

Obviously people had to be dedicated to get success - whether it is the terminator or Hillary.

I am just happy to have now learned that Pammie got hers through exercise.http://www.welovearnold.com/images/I36908-2003Aug08L.jpg