Why All the Demand for "LINKS" these days?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Carrys, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

I can understand if someone is referencing something very specific, but just a subject in general?

Why the demand that someone else look something up for you? What's the big deal with typing in "three legged goats" in Google for yourself? Folks act as if something just isn't true without a "link" anymore. Never mind that they can acquire the exact same info in one or two minutes.

Is it laziness?

Are we just that much like Pavlov's Dogs that we expect another to automatically supply us with what we want?

Is it disbelief? If so, it could be cured in a minute's time, with minimal effort to boot. I noticed some folks here, folks whom I've considered somewhat bright based on their past posts, demand a "link". Demand it when they could easily type in a few words and come up with all the info they could ever desire on a subject.

I've thought about it, and come up with no sensible answer. If anyone states anything, a "link" is demanded. They all want you to do the work for them.

If I post anything that's what I see as fact, one is free to believe it or not, I don't care. But if they just won't believe it because it may not be accompanied by a "link", that's pure laziness. Typing a couple of words into their computer could solve all their doubts, concerns, or disbelief. But the prevailing thought appears to be, "If there's not a 'link' I won't believe it. Nor will I bother to investigate on my own, not worth my time.".

As I said, I can understand if I'm referencing a certain picture, a story that may contain a specific topic, or a specific quote. It's understandable that one would require a link to that picture, story, or quote. By just information in general. Never fails that a poster will reply with, "Link for that?". Like they don't know how to find anything on the web, so you got to do it for them.

People have the knowledge of the entire world at their fingertips when in front of their computer. It's like no other time in history, we can find out anything in a matter of seconds. It truly is a wonder. Just think about it, anything we want to know. In seconds.

But whenever someone states, "Got a link for that?" over an opinion or statement of general information, I always see the picture in my mind of that huge naked fat guy in front of his computer. And I always suspect he is just that lazy.

And I know that he'll never "get it".

Venting over.:whistling:

2. GlockerMike

GlockerMike God Help Us

Giving credit and a link to the source is just good manners. :wavey:

3. alphacat

alphacat account deleted

Could it be because we don't trust each other?

4. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Jay Leno and J'Lo report they are expecting a child.

In a news conference today, Jay Leno and Jennifer Lopez announced they are soon-to-be parents. Their relationship has been a closely guarded secret for more than ten years. But, with a child on the way, they decided to come clean and announce their relationship.

Miss Lopez is due to deliver in June.

5. napp32

napp32

:needspics:

6. Jeff82

Jeff82 NRA Benefactor CLM

Why "Links?"

Because of "Liars." Well, "Blowhards" too.

Besides, sometimes you'll amaze yourself finding out what you thought you knew.

7. Annoyedgrunt

Annoyedgrunt Dry Heat my ASS

You sure do get all fired up over stupid crap, don't you?

You couldn't just... oh, I don't know... ignore and skip past the people that inquire about links? You actually had to write a 9 paragraph dissertation about your interpretation of the mindset of people that ask for links?? :rofl:

Relax, man. You'll live longer.

8. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Why should anyone have to go find out whether a statement someone else said is fact? If it is true, or fact, then you should be able to provide a link when you make the statement. It is just plain lazy to not do so.

9. G23c

G23c

10. GAFinch

GAFinch

11. fmfdocglock

fmfdocglock

Because there are too many trolls who post ridiculous stuff just to cause a stink on internet forums.:faint:

12. DRZ

DRZ

Ditto

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  13. Fumble

Fumble RIP Poom . . .

Got a link for that opinion of yours . . . :rofl:

Seriously though, I think asking for a link is often like calling someone's bluff. So if I call your bluff and ask for a link, isn't it your responsibility to provide it?