close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Whose gone from a local agency to a Federal agency?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Hollywood D, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Hollywood D

Hollywood D

I'm considering applying. Curious if anyone here has left a local agency to go Federal and what you thought about it. Did you regret it? Are the politics the same? How many times have you had to relocate? Any input is good input.

2. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

I did several times, drove right from my local agency over to a Federal agency.

:supergrin:

3. i8547

i8547 Without Equal

No mobility agreement, so no transfers on my part. Just had to accept my initial duty station and was lucky enough to be offered two stations... one of which was my #1 choice in the first place. Some aren't as lucky.

The politics aren't the same at the federal level, but they do exist in a more subtle way. I've lost assignments to people junior to me that I was more qualified than, but they were buddy buddy with the right supervisors etc.

You do start right back at ground zero... your experience is respected by most, but some will play it down and others will outright ignore it. The seniority is no longer there so the off days you're accustomed to now probably will take some years to get back. Also, if you work a compressed schedule now... be ready to give it up.

4. Hollywood D

Hollywood D

I was more concerned with peoples employment experiences, not their federal indictments lol

5. JJS

JJS RIP Col.Moroney

RepublicofTexas a former member here went from Austin PD to DEA in the late 70's,did that gig for a year and moved on.Totally turned him off to le work all around.But then again a few friends of mine made the move and love it.

6. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

I have gone from state department to a federal agency in corrections. Of course, in the federal agency it is, "We don't do it the way where you came from." regardless of where you came from. The funny thing is that in some ways they actually did.LOL.

The politics were about the same type of thing, and it seems like on day watch and some on evening watch there were most likely to be some who were competing for attention, advances and what not. Some are favored, others are not, and the rest of them are just sort of there and doing their jobs regardless.

The laws applying to certain things were a bit different, in that federal corrections within the BOP is considered LE whereas in the state department I was in it was not fully considered LE. And, in federal there were those still used to the idea that corrections are not considered LE within some state or county levels so they had the problem of being used to the idea that federal corrections were considered LE.

Then to complicate matters more, federal firefighters are not considered LE except just to where they receive LE benefits, and then it depends on agency.

And, since in BOP everyone is correctional staff you have the fact that everyone is LE regardless of position, or profession. So, that gets to be a little interesting.

7. cessna_driver

cessna_driver Donut Molester

I went from county to a three-letter fed agency.

Dumbest thing I ever did. Of course, Miami Vice was still on TV and I thought I would get me a Ferrari, a cool as hell Scarab, and a black guy from New Yawk who spoke with a Jamaican accent to be my partner.

WRONG!

The pay WAS significantly better, and my pension is a lot better....damned near what guys with my old department are making as a salary now...but, hell money ain't everything.

The politics was BRUTAL at times, and truthfully...there are more lawyers and bureaucratic horse ****e to deal with at the federal level.

Hindsight being 20/20...I would have stayed with the county.

8. Hack

Sometimes I think the same way. But, look at this way, you are closer now to retirement than you have been, your retirement income at it's lowest might be close to what you were making at county, and then depending on your TSP maybe even better. Not knowing your county I don't know the maximum retirement age, but perhaps you could become re-employed with them and continue earning that retirement as well.

9. Hack

Oops. I see you are already retired and enjoying life.

10. COLOSHOOTR

COLOSHOOTR

Thats the first mention I've heard of a no mobility agreement with the feds before..... A former Detective from my Department went USSS and was told she could stay at the office in Colorado. Well at first she did but a few years go by and they said we need you somewhere else and sent her to the east coast. After hearing about that I thought there was no chance of ever staying in one location. I'd like to hear more details on how you got that agreement since I was under the impression that they won't hire you unless you are willing to move. Feel free to PM to keep it off the open forum.

My Department is a pretty dead end place right now. At my District the average is 10 years in Patrol before you even get TRAINING. Now add the 4-10 additional years (depending on unit) before you can get a position as a Detective or in any special unit like K9 or SWAT. I'll be on the job for 20 years before I'll ever make it where I want to go. So I'm STRONGLY considering going to a Federal agency. I got the go ahead to look into it but the wife is very concerned about the relocating aspect. Especially if there are kids around in a few years. Any advice or help any of you can give me would be great.

11. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I've gone from my local agency to a few federal agencies, parking there is a *****!

12. LAWDOGKMS

LAWDOGKMS

Ummmmm....Between 1998-2000, I was making 19.5K-23K at the PD, sharing a patrol car (no take home) working the mid and evening shift on the road, responding to traffic accidents in the rain, domestics, retail thefts, cats in trees etc... I was barely eeking out a living for my family of five out of that salary while my wife waitressed to supplement, living in the little 2-bedroom shack of a house we had to move into when I left my halfway decent military paycheck to go into LE. I thought it was a pretty good job at the time, and enjoyed the uniformed-cameraderie, and excitement of being part of the reactive-LE force. Then, I saw an opportunity to move on to something different with a 4-letter fed agency and I did.

No regrets, I promise...best move I ever made..

It is now 2010, and I make more than 5X the above mentioned salary, am full-time on a fugitive task force, (leading it for my division actually) work primarily 8-5, unless we're doing an early-morning hit or late night surveillance, but early or late hours are my choice, so that takes the sting out of them, and they are usually reserved for really, really bad fugitives, so they are exciting and fun cases you don't mind working extra for. I no longer work shift work, set my own hours, come and go as I please, pick and choose the cases I want to work, choose the clothes I want to wear to work (usually blue jeans and an untucked shirt). I have a take-home late-model suv (which I think of as a substantial addition to my salary when you figure what I would spend in gas and maintenance on my 30 minute commute to work). My retirement calculator says I should easily be able to make 85%+ of my high-3 average in retirement. I love where I live, (big house in the country), my agency doesn't force-transfer anybody, but I can very easily transfer anywhere in the country (and have, twice) for a change of scenery if I desire. What on earth could I not be happy about?

The two main guys I worked with on the PD have both bumped one promotion in the last 10 years, one from Patrolman to Sgt and one from Sgt to LT. Neither makes more than 60K yr, and are doing the same old thing. One told me last week that he was jealous that I left and said I was the one guy at the PD who "made the big time". Like I told him, I didn't make any big-time, and I will not become rich, or famous or anything else where I am, I just chose a more enjoyable, more satisfying, and much better paying LE career path.

Now, my PD was a rural, South Georgia PD and the pay down there was historically low. We had no fugitive squad or special-divisions to branch off into, it was just regular "Mayberry" patrol work.

I can see that a decision to go fed would be much harder if I worked for a big-city PD, with a decent salary (like the 110K/yr White Plains NY, PD Detective I know) or were a local officer on a fed task force or something.

Where I was however, it was the right thing to go fed..

YMMV

13. LAWDOGKMS

LAWDOGKMS

USSS and some others, move their people every couple years, mandatorily.

There are some fed agencies (mine included) that will NEVER force you to move.

Seriously, I could have stayed in my first office for my entire career.

The guy that just retired there after 30+ yrs did...

Many fed agencies require a mandatory tour in DC as well, and that just sucks all the way around, uprooting kids, wife from her career, extreme cost of living increases for DC etc.

Many I know just leave the wife and kids "at home" and geo-bachelor it in DC, but there is no guarantee that they'll get their home-office back after their DC-tour either..

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  14. Hack

BOP is a mix of things. You have some people who are more than willing to sign a mobility agreement. You have some facilities where people don't stay around all that long before moving on. Then, there are places like mine, where the median average amount of years of seniority is around ten years, all at one spot. They are known as homestead joints because people can wind up and do spend all of their career there. I could be one of those people depending on how things go otherwise for me, or I may finally make the jump and move to a joint or two while in the same pay grade, especially if it is one of those newer joints that needs to be freshly opened up and broken in. Which means I get paid to train new people.

If I do make a move to a new joint, I hope I can at least make my high three years before retiring as a GS-11 LT or maybe some other higher paying position.

15. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

That's pretty much what I would expect... it's about the same here that the pay and work incentive for us SoCal guys is not as great because federal pay is not much better, usually worse, and you have to uproot from SoCal as LA is usually a desired location.

Our 3@50 retirement is hard to beat. As for assignments, working shift work is not so bad in our area. I mean, we do get rain and it does get cold, sometimes down to 34F even, but usually, it's 50-80F most of the year.

I have looked into it and checked out the various differences and decided I like staying here and going through life in one place. I am glad it worked out for you and it sounds like you are a lucky man indeed. A man who truly enjoys his work does not "work" for a living.

Haha... when you said 4-letter agency, I immediately though FDIC as that has been on my mind a lot lately, the solvency of banks, didn't they just close a few in Georgia?

16. TexasSchool Cop

TexasSchool Cop

Most of the time moving over to the Feds means much more money. Most not always. The guys I work with on the Task Force have it made. If they start to get bored just a little, they can put for some TDY details that can go anywhere from 1 week to 3 months. I wish that I knew back then what I know now. I would have gone to the Feds, However knowing what I do now it would have been a 4 letter agency, where you can stay in one office if you choose, and sometimes promote and stay.

But I do make good money now after 30 years in the business and several promotions.

17. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Hey! Indicted but NEVER convicted!!!

:tongueout::rofl:

18. Knute

Knute "Nothin"

I have a co-worker who left our agency to go to ICE. Got assigned to Southern Cali and hated it. Got put in an area where he says guys have been trying to get re-assigned for years and haven't gotten out of there. So he's coming back. Money isn't always the best reason to leave. If it's truly what you want to do then go for it. If it's money then you'll always be searching for the bigger and better thing no matter where you are.

19. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

20. i8547

i8547 Without Equal

Where in SoCal did he get assigned? Calexico? If so, then I can understand... But San Diego? Los Angeles? Pfft.