close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Who's running HID offroad lights?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by AK_Stick, Feb 1, 2010.

1. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

I've already got my truck converted over to HID's now I'm looking for more light. Primarily interested in the Light Force internal ballast HID's but show me what the GT crowed has.

For the anti HID guys, yes, I've taken the time to properly aim my headlights so they don't blind oncoming traffic, but when running at night, where large animals are present, you can never have too much light. The primary use of these lights is on the highway, at night, outside of the city.

2. akhunter3

akhunter3 Alaskan Glocker

I'm interested in this as well, looking at putting a set of Lightforce 240's on my truck for those October trips to the Kenai bear mountains :supergrin:

Jon

3. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

ive got the large hellas, they were around 200 a piece IIRC, and converted them to HID,

they are very bright and carry for about 2 miles lighting up the road,

its like a wall of sun shine in front of my truck,

total i have 2 100 watt kc lights,

2 of the driving beams hellas using regular bulbs,

and the 2 converted pencil beams ..

eventually i want to also run a low profile LED setup on my roof, but i do not like the roll bar mounts or rack mounts they just look cheesy IMO,

4. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

LED's aren't worth the cost.

I've seen or run pretty much every bar made save the new Patriot bar from Vision X, and Rigid industrys. While bright, they're only good for what the bar is pointing directly at, and have very little spill. But price wise, you get much more light from an HID. I would love to run a 55inch bar on the front of my truck, but I could put more light out, for a similarly priced HID set up.

5. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

wish you were local to get a chance to see em ..

they are bright and you wont be disapointed with them,

6. Medic3166

Medic3166

I have a set of Hella 500FF's on a safari bar on my Trailblazer. I put a set of H3c HID's in them, and mounted the ballasts to the back of the bumper cover. They work great, but due to the design of the reflector on the housing, they're way too bright for on-road use.

The H3c bulb is a little shorter than the standard HID H3. The entire bulb is only about the size of your thumbnail.

I'll try to get some pics when I get home from work.

7. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

Back when I had a jeep(97), I had a set of 6" lights mounted on the windshield hinges, and another set mounted on the bumper. With those 4 on, plus the headlights, I could see anything as if it was the middle of the day. I can't imagine how much light I could have had if HID's were around then.

On a side note, I'm getting my headlights(Mazda6) back tomorrow from my retrofitter. Removed the stock HID projectors and replaced them with ones from a TSX. Didn't like them, so I ha FX replicas installed. Can't wait to see how they are.

8. harlenm

AK, you've got the Tacoma with the Lexus LS430 projectors retrofitted into them, right?

9. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

No, I've got a 03 GMC 2500 HD with aftermarket Halo projectors and HID upgrades in the low beam of those.

She's currently getting new mirrors, bumper, and lights, so I'll have some pics when she gets all finished up

10. harlenm

Oh, someone here upgraded a Toyota and it looked really good.

11. hunt_ak

hunt_ak

Stick, I know this probably isn't what you'll get, but a buddy who I work with has the Shucks special HID's on his F250 and for 100 bucks or whatever they were, they work pretty darn well for him. I've ridden with him and I can say they are pretty bright!