close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Who's brave enough to eat...BALUT?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by The Pontificator, Jan 18, 2005.

1. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

Do you even know what balut is? ;)

2. TooShyGuy

TooShyGuy

Hindi ako!!!

Oh-oh, Talaga!!! ;b

3. hispeedlodrag

hispeedlodrag needs vacation

4. EUPHER49

EUPHER49

...I think I saw that in a movie once...

5. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Strangely enough, I was born in Baluty (plural of "Balut"), a section of the city of Lodz. Somehow I don't think the name had anything to do with a partly hatched duck egg, but I will check into it. ^8

6. S2nd

S2nd One happy cat

Been there, done that, not terribly inclined to eat any more. If I want duck I'll eat duck, if I want eggs I'll eat eggs.

7. harrybosch

harrybosch

8. Stephen

Stephen Hola! Millennium Member

The opportunity has not presented itself - but I can say with a great deal of certainty:

"I am a balut weenie."

9. noway

noway

Balut, the chicken egg with a crunch is what we use to call it when I was assigned down to the Philipines. Nope I never tried it, but did eat the blood stew. Give me panchit, caldo and lumpia or the broil fish.:)

10. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

I've been in the pet business all my life...
    Mainly into fish, but I'm also a reptile guy... Most other stuff too...

In my younger days, at the occassional Christmas party, I might've been coaxed into swallowing
    a live pinky mouse ot a handful of mealworms...
    No big deal...

But I will not ever try Balut!

My new sister in law is a Filipina and the subject has come up at the annual Phillipine festival in Tampa...

Na-gah-dah!

;c

11. Penman

Penman Goauche User

Not interested in trying it, but I have terrific memories of Fillipino food at the best restaurant in Seattle, the Elisa and Elena Cafe, which used to be in the Pike Place Market. Old Alex turned out the best food on a little household stove in a tiny place with a counter and ten stools. Alex, I miss you, my friend.

12. jawjaboy

jawjaboy Casual lead ho

Ate one once while in the PI. Strange how alcohol will make one do strange things.

13. G22-Joe

G22-Joe I C Red People

I have had a Vietnamese style one, it had so much spice and sauce, I could not really taste anything. I only had about 3 in my life.

Yet I have a very long list of other "delicacies" that I have tried all over the world.

14. Dandapani

Dandapani

Not to highjack this thread, but what's up with all the Filipina brides in Florida? My wife and I were at the SS office in Port Richey few weeks back and a couple of really, really old farts come hobbling in on their canes with their very young, Filipina (mail order?) brides on their arms. Damn.

15. S2nd

S2nd One happy cat

I think you answered your own question. Old farts want a pretty young thing, the pretty young things want citizenship/a better life. Can't say I blame either party ;f

16. retvet46

retvet46

Hell yea, flash back to Olongapo city, gordan and rizol av. victoria station, The Brown fox, Meraposa's, Hat city disco. The **** river bridge. Out to the Barrieo to Oak harbor and papa johns clubs like My other place, and My other place 2. the all girl boxing at the Casablanca. Red horse beer for 15 cents at the sorry sorry stores.
    Balut? Bastos inday iyaco yawn. I have no clue how to spell it but it says "nasty no i don't like". And yes I tried it what drunk Marine or Sailor didn't. we did things there that most people would never believe. I got traped out in town and spent 6 days running from pissed flipps and NPA when we flew Marcose out. the wood sides of the **** river bridge were on fire, the flips were throwing rocks and btls and the Marine guards of company B and C were throwing C.S. gas riot control granades. some people helped us and hid us others wanted to kill us, to long to tell all and I'm to old to remember it all anyway. I wish I was still in the shape I was in those days. every day we would run from Navmag down to and around the flight line with mask and fins in hand, get in the water at the red label swim to dungaree beach and back get out of the water and run back. Oh well nothing lasts forever I watched it all get trashed when Mt Pentatobo blew its top. no more trips to the flight liner dinner.

17. noway

noway

Most people reading your above post have no clue as to what you are talking about, but I do ;)

Philipines was cool when I was there.

18. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I like the crunch part at the bottom of the egg and the juice. Usually I'd trade out the bird with another fellow eater for the crunch part. Not too many people like the crunch part, but I do.

PS A Vietnamese-styled balut with spices and sauce? This is a first. I've never had balut that way, not even in the old country. It sounds like a local concoction or probably not even balut but maybe one of the types of herbed eggs like the thousand-years-old eggs? They pack these eggs with various herbs and spices that look like mud on the outside of the shell and let them sit for a long time. When you boil the eggs up and eat them, the yolk look real orangey and tastes salty, right? Otherwise, I have no clues as to some different kind of Vietnamese balut. All the Vietnamese that I know eat the regular balut.

19. kneeoh

kneeoh Dammit Jim!

I will, on occasion eat a balut... I couldn't for about 20 years after watching my little brother freak out when he noticed the duckling's head... but I got over it. The one thing I could never bring myself to try is the deep-fried day old chick... or, come to think of it.... aso (you don't want to know!)

Thinking about this now, we Filipinos eat some pretty strange things but it sure is yummy! I wonder if I have a balut in the frig?

20. Screech

Screech

"Philipines was cool when I was there".

+1 1982-1988

Marines ate BALUT