close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Who's bought a new Harley lately?

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by tehan2, Mar 24, 2007.

1. tehan2

tehan2 NRA & GOAL

I've decided to sell my heritage and buy an '07 street glide. Most of the local dealers have bikes at MSRP + DOC + Freight.

Has anyone bought new lately, and got their bike below MSRP?

It's not like 3-4 years ago when they were getting 2-5K over MSRP, and had a wait list. All of the locals have bikes on the floor waiting for buyers.

A second question. . . does anyone know what dealers pay for a bike, or how much they make at MSRP?

2. WellArmedSheep

WellArmedSheep NRA Member

Around here they go for whatever the dealer wants to charge. There's a deal near me that had their Road Kings on sale (!?!) for $21,000 a few weeks ago. The lowest price I found (within a couple hundred miles) was $500 over MSRP. That took some barganing, though.

BTW, that was for an '07 Road Glide in a color they didn't have in stock, and they traded with another dealer the same day to get it for me.

Also turns out it's the dealer closest to me. I'd rather buy from this one since they'll be doing any warranty work (heaven forbid) if the need arises. I do all of my own services, though.

ETA: go to www.roadkingriders.com : You may be able to search for a list of MSRP dealers there.

3. whogasak47

whogasak47 JPFO-GOA

MSRP + $2000. credit to buy acc. or whatever at dealer.

profit 18%
    Good Luck and Ride Safe:thumbsup:

LA = Louisiana

4. tehan2

tehan2 NRA & GOAL

Thanks, I can buy at MSRP from 4 of the 5 dealers within an hour of me, I looking to see if anyone knows a place BELOW MSRP. the 5th on is MSRP also but everyone of the bikes there are "customized" by the dealership. They put $1000 worth of chrome on the bikes and ask $4000 more for the "custom bike"

I'd love to sell my current bike private, so I don't have to trade it in. Not only will I take a hit on what it's worth, I'd like to pass some savings onto someone looking for a solid bike

5. tehan2

tehan2 NRA & GOAL

So a bike that has a MSRP of $18725 has $3370 built in for the dealer?

Are you pretty sure of that?

Thanks

6. whogasak47

whogasak47 JPFO-GOA

yep just for the fun of it check out some new 2007 goldwings on Ebay.
    16400.00 msrp 19759. +setup/freight/other small charges.

the ones selling for 16,400 get a rebate for selling units.

I am sure the 18% is on vrods and sportys are less percentage,
    soft tail probally have the least, cause they are in demand the most.

Good luck and Ride Safe:thumbsup:

would you really want a vrod even with a 18% discount? What were they thinking?The left side of the engine is disgusting to look at.:ack:

7. whogasak47

whogasak47 JPFO-GOA

thats not that much.
    Price of Real Estate and building . Large They look like Upscale Dept.
    Stores not Typical Bike Dealer.

Inventory 50 - 100 Bikes Lots of Bucks

Parts Lots a bucks too

Shirts ,Motor Clothes Acc. There's the Profit stuff

10- 15 employees inc. mechanics $1200 a day minimum

Utilities Big
    Good Luck and Ride Safe:thumbsup:

8. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

I would be more concerned with the issues with the '07's than what they're going for. The two biggest problems as I understand it are that they are running just too hot. Hot enought that there has been a last minuted service advisory for what's called the "parade flash". It's an ECM flash that has the computer shut down the rear cylinder at idle when it exceeds a certain temperature, a temperature that the earlier twin cams and evos just would not attain. The second problem is that in fifth gear, they whine like a standard shift car driving in reverse. I'd wait until '08 myself. HH

9. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I'm no Harley mechanic but I figure that the motor putting out more oomph will run hotter than the old 88 block, AND now because of emission, it will be running lean as hell and sporting catalytic converter. Good thing about EFI is that you can easily retune them to run richer. Just get one of those Power Commander or similar fuel-map changing thingies, yank off the catalytic converter, put the bike on a dyno and retune that mother.

Or ride faster than 5 MPH and things will be fine too.:tongueout:

10. coldmcrider

coldmcrider

I have an 07 electra-glide ultra and I love it. I have added a Screaming Eagle intake, exhaust and remap and have no problems at all. 5th gear makes a little different sound than the 2-4th, but you have to really listen for it. The sound is not a problem, HD went to helical cut gears on 2nd, 3rd, 4th and standard spur cuts on 1st, 5th, & 6th for easier shifting and greater strength.

To answer the OP, I paid MSRP and got $500 of accessories for free.

11. CU4X4N

CU4X4N 5th of November

When I'm in fifth gear, or any gear for that matter, all you can hear is my Thunderheader exhaust!!!

12. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

Why the need for "new" Harley. Is there some cutting edge technology being implimented now that wasn't in-use back in the middle of the last century?

If it were me, I'd try to do some research on a dedicated Harley forum.

13. tehan2

tehan2 NRA & GOAL

Cutting edge? no, but the '07 has larger engine displacement and a 6 speed tranny.

I've decided on a new bike this year. I've looked at the BMW K-1200 LT, and R-1200 ST, Honda Goldwing, and the Street Glide. I've been riding since '85 and have owned MANY differant brands. This time around (for me) the Street Glide wins

14. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

15. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

16. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Their products may affront your sensibilities, but they are living the American Dream: making money out of the wazoo for doing what they want and like to do.

Various companies are commissioning them to make theme choppers for these companies.

Even if I were to have money, I wouldn't get caught dead on those monstrosities, but hey, capitalism is the American Way.

17. tehan2

tehan2 NRA & GOAL

I met and spoke with them at marcus dairy when they were first starting out. I was impressed with what they were making at the time, and were really decent people to talk to. Somewhere in the last 10 years they turned into a55holes.

18. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Has their show changed, or do they still not measure anything, then have to practically rebuild the whole bike because the rear wheel, or some other part doesn't fit? And do they still waste half their time playing or screwing off in the shop (led by Paul Sr.) and then have him yell at everyone because they are running late?

The show - a bunch of cartoon characters. The bikes - overpriced. Lots of other builders make better bikes.

19. myglockisa23

myglockisa23

Timms Harley Davidson in Anderson, SC... During the winter, I've seen them for sale for up to $1000 below MSRP.....

20. desmo

desmo

my dad bought a new street glide yesterday. msrp+ tax+title.