Who's afraid of the Big Bad Glock?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by netfotoj, May 13, 2007.

1. netfotoj

netfotoj Internet Photoj

Not my 10-year-old, 80-pound grandson, Logan Myers, that's who. Check out this shot of Logan ripping off rounds with my new (to me) Glock 29 10mm. And no, he isn't just posing. The little whippersnapper fired three magazines of those big, bad 10mm rounds downrange and he hit what he was aiming at, too, and has the holes to prove it. My camera finger just wasn't fast enough to catch him with the gun in recoil action.

[​IMG]

Here's some of Logan's holes, plus some of mine and my son's also, in 10mm, 357 Sig, .45 ACP, 9mm, .22 Magnum and .22 LR.

[​IMG]

It wasn't exactly precision shooting. Rain conspired to keep me away from the range yet again, but this time my son came through with Plan B. Out behind his home in the country, he hammered together some 2x12s for a frame and we set it up in the rain 25 feet from the shelter of his outbuilding and blasted away with all guns. It was stand and deliver time. Next week, we'll set up a bench and do some precision shooting. But Saturday was more fun in the rain than the law ought to allow for the Myers boys, grandpa, son and grandson. Yeeha!

Logan is wearing my son's (or is it his?) Ruger 22 magnum/.22 LR revolver and my son added his Ruger P345 .45 ACP semi-auto to the Myers arsenal for the day. I brought my new until-Saturday-unfired-by-me G29, my Steyr M357-A1, my S&W 669 subcompact 9mm, my new Kel Tec P11 9mm pocket pistol and my Walther P22.

Everybody fired everything. And no wrist surgery will be required for any of us. Biggest surprise of the day is how soft-shooting that "baby Glock" in 10mm turned out to be. I ripped off a G20 magazine first and was surprised to pronounce it lighter recoiling than my S&W 1076 all-steel 10mm, for which I traded it.

Then my son shot it and said he couldn't tell much if any difference between the G29 recoil and his P345, and his P345 has the softest recoil of any .45 I've ever shot, and that's several 1911s over my nearly 60 years.

So we asked Logan if he wanted to give it a whirl and he smiled and said "Sure" and let 'er rip.

Frankly, I was expecting to get more of a hand jolt with the G29 than with my traded 1076, not less. This is my first experience with shooting a Glock, but I must note this one is heavily customized with HD Wolff springs, satin-finish slide, 1911-angle grip and a trigger job. Plus I liberally lubed the slide and rails with Slide Glide prior to shooting. Maybe a stock Glock wouldn't shoot so sweet in 10mm, I don't know. I just know I love this G29!

Here's one final shot of the back side of our target frame with some mighty big, jagged holes in the 2x12s from all calibers, including both FMJs and HPs in 10mm.
    [​IMG]

2. Masque

Masque Re Member

I miss my grandparents.

Wanna fill in? I think you'll do nicely.

3. Akita

Akita gone

I love posts like this.

4. nickE10mm

nickE10mm F.S.F.O.S.

Nice. This is a fine example of America in action. He looks like he's having FUNNNN!! :supergrin:

5. netfotoj

netfotoj Internet Photoj

Most of the 10mm rounds shot by me, my son and grandson were 180 gr. FMJs, but I did shoot a couple of 9-round mags of hollowpoints, Cor Bon 150 gr., rated at 1,325 fps; and Winchester Silvertip 175 gr., no rating.

I was shooting as quickly as I could acquire and reacquire the sight picture, mainly to check function of cycling HPs vs. FMJs. Nary a problem with either and very little difference in recoil between the FMJs and HPs with the Cor Bons being slightly snappier. With the Cor Bons and Silvertips, I managed a fairly respectable pattern. There's 18 holes in the target, some of them overlapping. (You'd think 18 10mm HPs would at least make the blue man take his hand off his hip!)

[​IMG]

This weekend, I hope to have a bench set up to do some pattern testing with various HPs, including in addition to Silvertips and Cor Bons some Federal Hydra-Shok 180 gr. and some Winchester Black Talon 200 gr. SXTs.

I'll have to order some DoubleTap ammo to give that a try, too. The previous owner told me he shot almost exclusively DoubleTap in the G29 for defensive ammo, for which he specifically had the HD Wolff springs installed.

Whoever the Glock armorer in Kansas is who did all the custom work is owed a whopping big thanks from me!:thumbsup:

6. nickE10mm

nickE10mm F.S.F.O.S.

Did you get that pistol from glock10mmman? If so, I know him personally. :thumbsup:

7. netfotoj

netfotoj Internet Photoj

I traded my S&W 1076 for the G29 with a landscaper in Houston, Texas, who told me he bought the G29 from a Glock armorer in Kansas, who did all the custom work except for the slide refinishing, which was done by CCR Refinishing.

Perhaps the unknown Glock armorer in Kansas is glock10mmman?

See Two big pistol trades in one week

8. nickE10mm

nickE10mm F.S.F.O.S.

I'm pretty sure thats him, yes. Nice G29!

9. netfotoj

netfotoj Internet Photoj

Finally got my bench rest out and did a little shooting for accuracy with my new-to-me G29.

Five rounds of 10mm Federal Hydra-Shok 180-gr.(At $30 for 20 rounds, five ought to be enough for a test. Besides, I'm cheap!) Shooting at 11x17" Redman target from 25 feet.

Four in a group slightly high and to the right, one I'd call a "flyer" except it's the one that hit the "X". Close enough.

[​IMG]

Hate to waste a perfectly good Redman, so let's put 10 rounds of 10mm 180 gr. FMJs on top of the Federals.

[​IMG]

10. nickE10mm

nickE10mm F.S.F.O.S.

Good shootin ...but... You benchrested At 8 yards? :)

11. netfotoj

netfotoj Internet Photoj

Yep. Shooting at my son's house at a homemade range with one distance and one only, 25 ft.

Just wanted to make sure where the G29 is shooting. When I get the chance, I'll go to the paid range and test at longer distances. But I figured if it's on at 25 feet, should be OK at longer. I do the big majority of my practice at 25 feet or even closer at 21 feet 'cause stats say that's where the majority of real-world encounters occur, or even closer.

12. zeke013

zeke013 CLM

Just so you know, netfotoj - THIS picture is the reason I went out over the lunch hour and bought a G29!!! :banana: :banana:

I'd shot a G20 - but couldn't get my hands on a G29. But I figured if your grandson could handle it . . . I ought to be able to with a little practice!

Thanks for the inspiration!

Zeke

13. netfotoj

netfotoj Internet Photoj

Thanks for the good word. I had two teeth out today and could use a lift.

And if your experience is anything like mine with my G29, practice won't be required to like it. I've loved if from my first magazine I shot in it.

My grandson shot it again this past weekend, plus my 9mm S&W 669 and my 357 Sig Steyr MA1. I asked him which he liked to shoot the best. He chose the G29! :hearts:

I love it, too!

14. MusingDaddy

MusingDaddy

15. susan28

susan28 already gone..

some fine shooting by all concerned! thanks for sharing..

16. netfotoj

netfotoj Internet Photoj

You know it's going to be a great day when the phone rings and it's your 10-year-old grandson wanting to know when you're going to come over and bring your pistols for an afternoon of shoot 'em up! Just when you think the whole world's going to hell in a handcart, there's a hopeful sign for you -- a card-carrying 10-year-old NRA member who loves to shoot a Glock 10mm! :thumbsup:

My grandson Logan is the one who's not afraid of the Big Bad Glock G29 10mm, if you recall.

Anyway, we did a bit more shooting. I started with my godawful-heavy-trigger-pull Kel Tec P-11 (which still has an 85-lb. pull. Maybe Kel Tec will send me my missing decimal point sooner or later). I knew if I didn't shoot it first, I probably wouldn't shoot it at all. Best I could do with my bench rest was about a 3" group, so that'll have to do.

It fills its role as a backup, but I can't imagine why anyone would make it a daily carry weapon. Too hard to shoot. I'm already thinking about one of those nasty little Taurus 2" ultra-light, hammerless snubbies in 17HMR. Gotta research the round and see if it's really capable of sufficient penetration of bad guy mass to be a serious carry weapon, even as a backup? Any 17HMR experts in the house? Wish somebody made a .22 magnum snubbie, but all I've ever seen is little 2-shot derringers. Gotta have at least 6 rounds to qualify as my backup.

Then I did a bit of hollow-point load testing with my S&W 669 9mm subcompact. Top left is Cor-Bon +P 90 grain, bottom left is Cor-Bon +P 125 grain, both groups at right are UMC 115 grain HPs.

[​IMG]

I hate to say it, but groupwise, I have to give it to the UMC HPs. Cheap, but dirty rounds. I bought a 100 box at Wally World just to test my two 9mms to make sure they would cycle HPs cleanly. From what I've read here and elsewhere, I don't think UMCs really qualify as a serious carry round. So that makes Cor-Bon 125 grain winner, even though both Cor-Bon groups are pretty much the same. I'll usually choose a heavier grain over a lighter one, just because.

We also had a lot of fun with me, my son and grandson all shooting each other's pistols. My son got his Ruger P345 out plus a .22 rifle and I brought all five of my pistols, in addition to the two 9s, my M357-A1, G29 and Walther P22. A good time was had by all.

And when all the shooting was done, I asked my son and grandson both what they had enjoyed shooting the most? Both agreed, the G29 rules! I love this pistol. It's already rooted other contenders from top pecking order in the sock drawer and will likely stay there as soon as my new tactical light I ordered arrives. And with the double-mag pouch coming in the same order, it'll probably be my number-one carry piece. I'm already taking it with me in the car everywhere I go, but it's a bit too large for a "church gun." :shocked: :supergrin:

17. Crazy Ed

Crazy Ed Senior Member

That's pretty awesome! The little guy has a good jump on what qualifies as a great handgun. Now he just needs some eye protection.

Ed :supergrin:

18. netfotoj

netfotoj Internet Photoj

My bad on the lack of eyewear. I remembered the ear protection, but since I wear my safety glasses all the time, I didn't think of him. Problem corrected.

My numba-one grandson now has his very own shooting glasses!

I'll shoot an updated pic this weekend. I probably ought to send a photo with glasses to Glock. They could make a great shooting testimonial ad from it. He could get his 15 minutes of fame early.

19. Crazy Ed

Crazy Ed Senior Member

That's still pretty cool how well he can handle the 29!

Ed :thumbsup:

20. nevada rain

nevada rain

I can't believe this observation came so late.... It's the first thing I looked for and noticed in this (and any) post of a youngster enjoying the sport. I'm no super hero - but I'd have packed up and left before letting my boy shoot w/o eye protection. All the gear all the time.

Sorry to preach - sure there was no ill intent and chance for bad very remote. BUT, glocks, do sometimes KB - and a G20 KB is the mother of them all. Off my soap box.