Whole new 'PACK'

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by tonka45, Sep 29, 2007.

1. tonka45

tonka45

My first posting here,, could not believe a gun forum with a section on PETS!! Great!

Well wanted to share a story,,We have 2 Labs (yellow and black) both rescued, both great)
    Last week I was notified of 2 dogs being put down in a local shelter since they were owner turn-ins and place is overcrowded.
    One is purebred black lab other is 1/2 shepherd 1/2 lab they are 4 and 5 yrs old,, and have been together since pups..
    anyway called the wife she said GO!!
    I got there less than 30 minutes before their 'time' was up!
    They are great dogs,,housebroken,, somewhat trained to commands and very loving..
    HAve taken to sleeping on bed (yes we are bad!) and hanging with us everywhere..
    so now the family has 4 4 legged members each avergaing 100lbs...oh well I mean HOW much can they really eat!!!
    Just thought I would share!!

Semper FI!!;)

2. mike1969

mike1969 NRA&GOA

YES Gun owners have doggies !!!!!

Congrats on getting some great dogs. If they are 4 and 5, they are mostly out of the I am Dog, I will eat your house stage. Labs are notorious for being chewers as puppies. But once they get passed that stage, they are still good.

Dang and too luck getting doggies that housebroken. The one I just adopted is a sweet girl. She is almost 2 and I discovered she knows some tricks. Sit, fetch, down, shake, play dead, roll over and jump up and give loving. I want to teach how to crawl, and a really neat one is to bow.

www.petvideo.com has some vids that show how to to teach them some tricks..

3. Platz

Platz

That was really great of you to adopt both of them. :) Congrats on your new family.

4. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

Awesome!!

I just want to tell you one thing, there is NOTHING wrong with having the dogs on the bed. It's the most natural thing in the world for the pack to sleep together. Now, if the dogs control the bed, that may need a little bit of work. Otherwise, keep it up! Rescue dogs are the BEST!

5. Platz

Platz

I agree. Mine are allowed to sleep on the beds as well, but they know they are bottom of the pack and when told "off" or to scoot over, they do so quickly and without complaining. I know people, however, that when the dog is resting and the owner directs it to move, the dog issues a growl. Not acceptable! It just kills me that people allow their pets to get away with that kind of behavior. :shocked:

6. G20man32904

G20man32904 Guest

NIICE!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Welcome to the board, lots of great info here.

7. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

That is just fantastic that you adopted both of those dogs from the shelter and saved their lives. I have two dogs and two cats and I keep telling my wife we are going to move to the country on some land so we can get some more from the shelter.

8. tonka45

tonka45

Thanks everyone,,,they are doing fine,,I will post pics soon,,,
    Amazing how fast they adapted and became family members!!

9. NyGlockcop

NyGlockcop

That was realy nice of you and your family adopting the 2 together. Its nice to hear good stories like yours. :thumbsup: