Who wears a mask in public while grocery shopping?

Discussion in 'Covid-19 News/Info' started by Mr Meeseeks, May 26, 2020.

1. N95 or higher

2. Cloth or surgical mask

3. Nothing

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Colt M-4

Colt M-4 AK-74 Silver Member

My best interest is to stay alive, And enjoy Life.
    Not to be some afraid Chicken frikkin little at every turn. From a guy who spouts Col. Kurtz from Apocalypse Now.{Which I like} I Don't have any beef with you Dave.

Yeah this Marine 1968/74 is getting just finally fed up.Like my Buddy {Frenchy} R.I.P. 165679_142868529100223_100001312301831_220440_3592599_n.jpg

2. racerford

racerford

Emphasis mine.

These are the words of someone attempting to shame or guilt someone. This is not a logical reason alone to wear a mask. You don’t even believe your own words that people should wear masks, because they might be asymptomatic and spread the disease, so the right thing do to protect others. Otherwise you would wear it at home, and you would continue to wear it after your government stop asking you to, because the risk will still exist. It shows you not doing it to protect anyone, but only because the government asks you to. If so great, that may be enough for you, but at least be honest with yourself.

So if you goal is to persuade, you have failed.

The Machinist likes this.

3. Dave514

Dave514

Nope. People in the same household will be exposed for too long. Eating together, sleeping together, sharing transport. You're being obtuse.

It's as absurd as saying I should drive 20mph on the interstate because the speed limit is 20mph in my neighborhood. Public safety isn't black and white. It takes reasonableness into account.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  4. Dave514

Dave514

Masks aren't so much about protecting the wearer. They are about protecting your neighbor from the asymptomatic spread of covid 19. They wear theirs to protect you. You wear yours to protect them. You know what it means to care about the guy next to you.

5. The Father

The Father

The regular flu kills up to 50,000 every year in the USA

It is very obvious that masks should be worn at all times 365 days a year 24/7

Unless we are saying 50,000 deaths is acceptable per year. Just anything over this is a problem.

BobbyS, redneck ron and JimWillson like this.
  6. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

I will wear a mask in acute settings and I will properly dispose of a mask or gloves upon clearing such an environment. When wearing PPE, I will leave those items alone, refrain from touching it, moving it, adjusting it, laying it down, or potentially contaminating my nose, lips, eyelids, hands other items and surfaces. I will wash my hand often and avoid close proximity to others.

What I see people routinely doing with their masks and gloves ( in the name of protecting others) is nothing short of cringe worthy. I will wear PPE (sometimes) but not broadly or routinely. That is assuming that the law does not require it.

What I consider acute would be a hospital, cramped mass public transportation( subways, busses, aircraft), or caring for the sick.

So long as it does not violate the law, I have no plans to wear a mask to a sparsely occupied grocery store, walking down the sidewalk, gas station or other similar venue.

I make these decisions based on what I personally think and not public hysteria. I also do not participate in virtue signaling.

Sfaql likes this.
  7. Dave514

Dave514

Why do you continue to do that?

It's been explained repeatedly that the flu doesn't appear to spread asymtomatically like Covid-19 does.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2646474/

Wearing a maks while asymptomatic with the flu would not have the same effect in slowing the spread of the virus.

Pretending to not grasp this only makes you look bad.

8. Dave514

Dave514

I hope that your personal beliefs are more correct than the CDC and US Surgeon General.

DrMaxit likes this.
  9. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

There is a certain risk to touching, moving, adjusting, taking off-putting on a mask 100 times a day ( all over town). There is also a certain level of risk if you refrain from wearing a mask. I will weigh the risks for myself based on my specific circumstances. Same as I have done all my life. I will continue to do that so long as it conforms with law.

I am not suggesting to anyone that they refrain from wearing PPE, that's silly. I will simply say that I will decide the when, where and to what degree so long as the law does not compel me otherwise. The CDC has their metrics and I have mine.

redneck ron likes this.
  10. The Father

The Father

Here is the definition you may be looking for. Go back to your med school notes and you will find it.
    In medicine, a disease is considered asymptomatic if a patient is a carrier for a disease or infection but experiences no symptoms. A condition might be asymptomatic if it fails to show the noticeable symptoms with which it is usually associated. Asymptomatic infections are also called subclinical infections.

I will assume with your extensive medical training you missed this day of med school. Take the mask off your eyes and read the last sentence. With your extensive medical training you can easily research multiple sources citing that the flu is/can/will be transmitted by individuals exhibiting no symptoms.

“Writing in a linked Comment, Dr Peter William Horby from the Oxford University Clinical Research Unit in Vietnam says, "In view of the undoubtedly high rates of subclinical influenza infection, an important unanswered question is the extent to which mild and asymptomatic influenza infections contribute to transmission…A large number of well individuals mixing widely in the community might, even if only mildly infectious, make a substantial contribution to onward transmission."

So everyone needs to wear a mother f’n mask 365 days a year 24/7 according to Covid-19 logic. Either up to 50,000 deaths a matter or they don’t ? Which is it ?

BobbyS and redneck ron like this.
  11. Dave514

Dave514

I've already explained this to you. And I don't need my notes. Of course someone can have the flu and be asymptomatic. However it doesn't appear that they shed the virus in a significant way.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2646474/

People with Covid-19 appear to shed the virus much more that influenza patients while both are asymptomatic. That's why a mask helps slow the spread. It would not be useful for the flu.

Additionally, even if it were found to be true that the lower mortality rate disease for which we have vaccines and antivirals, The Flu, was transmitted by asymptomatic carriers it would NOT negate the usefulness of masks to slow the spread of Covid-19 by asymptomatic people shedding the virus now.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  12. Capone

Capone

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  13. Capone

Capone

14. Capone

Capone

Sorry Dave I messed up my first response hope you don’t hold that against me

15. Capone

Capone

One other thing I forgot to ask you Dave. How is it kids two years old and younger don’t have to wear a mask? I mean I’m sure you know more about immune systems than me but I always thought young babies like that have not built up an immune system yet at that young age. The reason I ask is because I seen a mom at Costco today with two very small kids in the kids seats in the cart. One had a mask and the other didn’t. What is your expertise opinion on this? Possible medical condition?

16. Dave514

Dave514

Bad practices I guess. So you do want us to lie to the private business about a health issue we don't have so we can be absolved of wearing a mask.

I presume that young children will not leave the mask alone and defeat the purpose.

And it's "I saw". Not "I seen".

But back to that lying about having a medical condition that you want us to do....

17. Agonizer

Agonizer Unmasked

[​IMG]
    Donald Trump Jr.

✔@DonaldJTrumpJr

Why is the media no longer concerned, and often almost gleeful, about all the mass gatherings that would have been so deadly due to COVID 19 just a few days ago?

I guess these people magically aren’t “killing their grandmas” by going outside anymore?!? [​IMG]

NJ1911, MFC4, larry_minn and 4 others like this.
  18. Grumpy_old_man

Grumpy_old_man

Common Core "Education". Trust me, its possible these days.

Grumpy

19. jstrange

jstrange

You should you commie bastard!

20. BobbyS

BobbyS Truth always sounds like lies to a sinner

I asked that of the "wearers" long ago: are you going to wear a mask the rest of your life? since the cv19 knows no time frame, and, it will be around long after some dem governor blows the all clear.