close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Who uses a .44 Mag Rifle or Carbine?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by A_Swede_17_1911, Nov 12, 2004.

1. A_Swede_17_1911

A_Swede_17_1911

Hey the area im hunting is really brushy and shots are going to be close and probably going to happen pretty fast. Right now my only big game rifle is a 7mm Rem Mag, with a 4-12 scope, so while I can hunt with it, I would like something else.

How many of you use a .44 Mag Carbine or Lever action rifle? Another idea would be one in .45 Colt. I've been looking at a couple different rifles, a Ruger 44/96, and the Deer Field Carbine, or a Marlin .44 Mag lever action. I also havent ruled out a 30-30 lever action or even one chambered in .35 Rem. Mostly I want a clean killing rifle thats pretty fast handleing.

I live in state that allows semi autos, if the capcity is 5 rounds or less, also this is for Whitetail deer. The Area has brush about waist to head lever, and some thickets really dense you cant walk through with out hacking some stuff out of the way.

What rifle would you suggest, also the area im hunting is right around 3000 Acres and has some farmland and home surrounding it. So hence part of the reason I would really perfer a larger pistol caliber rifle. Thank you.

2. vafish

vafish

I have a Winchester Model 94 Trapper carbine in .44 mag, 16" barrel.

Have never shot a deer with it. My son has carrried it the last 2 deer seasons, but hasn't got a shot at one yet. This year he plans on carrying the 30-30.

I deer hunt with a 14" Barreled TC Contender in .44 mag. I've seen deer shot with a lot of guns from 30-06 on down.

The .44 mag at anything under 100 yards puts them down just as fast as the 30-06 does.

The .44 mag carbines are smaller, lighter and quicker handling than the 30-30 or .35 Remington (which aren't bad choices either).

I think You'd like one.

3. TMK

TMK Let God Sort'em

Marlin 1894 and S&W 29 are my FAVORITE swamp and brush guns when I hunt in NE PA :)

Regards, Ted

4. TexAg

TexAg

I've got a Marlin 1894 Cowboy in .45 Colt and have shot one doe with it and it worked well. I will be carrying it this weekend too and hopefully I'll have more to add. It is a very smooth and quick handling gun though, and one reason I bought it was for pig hunting in thick brush (havent shot one yet with it though). Iron sights so I can get on target quick and a quick throw of a lever for a fast follow up shot should it be needed. There are .45 Colt loads that compare or excede .44 mag, manufactured by Cor-bon and now PMC as well.

5. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I use a .44 mag with an 8" barrel. Works pretty good on deer. Holds 6 rounds in a cylinder that rotates with each pull of the trigger. Or you can cock the hammer with your thumb to rotate the cylinder. With open sights it is pretty accurate out to 75 yards. Loud as heck, though, and shoots a lot of flames.

6. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Marlin 1894 in the caliber of your choice.

The Ruger leverguns have crappy iron sights.

7. Sixgun_Symphony

Sixgun_Symphony NRA4EVR

The .44 WCF, also called the .44/40, was used to take alot of game in North America in the late 19th and early 20th century.

It is possible that more deer and black bear were taken with a .44 WCF lever rifle than anything else.

8. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Anyone of the rifles you mentioned will be good.
    We have and use, (AT TIMES), the winchester 45LC lever action.(very accurate). A single shot 44mag H&R...(very accurate).

The last guiding job i had in Okla. before we moved to the ranch in Tx. I took a canyon buck at 175yds. with a 35 rem..... Excelent gun out to 200yds. (the clinet froze, and i shot it for him and placed "his tag" on it).. :)

The winchester Trapper 45LC, with "open sights" will hold a 1-1/2" to 2" group at 100yds, with my reloads. And another realy nice rifle is the winchester Legacy, in 45LC... we have done some really fun shooting with this one at 8" steel plates at 200yds.. very nice gun. That was using our 300gr. cast bullets.

If i had to choose between these, i would go for the Legacy 45LC, and cast bullets..... Or the 35Rem. For a gun that will work fine for deer out to 200yds, (with scope), and depending upon 'your ability,' should do fine at 100 with open sights, if youe can see good enough.

There are better calibers... but, these are the ones 'you ask about'!

Good hunting!

CanyonMan

9. Charlie-NY

Charlie-NY

I've owned an original Ruger 44mag carbine for many years. It always shot good and killed whitetails reliably. What ever a 44mag handgun can do, the 44mag rifle will do better, much better.

A couple of years ago I traded in the old carbine for a new Ruger 44 Deerfield. I mounted a 1.5x5 scope on my rifle. I shoot 300gr Hornady XTP bullets with a max load of W296/H110. Although Ruger recommends 240gr-265gr bullets in this rifle, the 300's shoot into 3" (or less)@ 100yards and carry more energy downrange.

I shot a medium size buck @ about 75yards. The 300XTP smashed through his shoulder, took out both lungs and exited. Deer staggered about 30 yards on 3 legs and fell over dead.

When I'm in the woods it is RARE to get shots @ 100yds but the rifle and cartridge quite capable out to about 150yds. High quality bullets are also available if you prefer them. I've also shot some Swift A-Frame bullets but they aren't really necessary for shooting whitetails.

My vote - Buy the Ruger 44mag Deerfield

The Deerfield is short, light and nearly recoil free. It is my favorite shortrange biggame rifle.

10. WFR

WFR

I have a Marlin 1894 in .44 Magnum.
    It's incredibly accurate and handy to carry.
    If I use it to hunt with I also carry one of my 3" S&W revolvers for backup. I love it!
    For close in, wooded areas it is hard to beat. I also have a 1894C in .357 and it's a sheer joy to shoot as well.
    If you get one try some .44 Specials. It's like shooting a .38 round out of a .357 rifle. No recoil and really accurate.
    Get a Marlin and enjoy!

11. Match10

Match10 NRA Life Member

I have a nice old 44 Ruger Deerslayer carbine and a long barrel Ruger SBH in Stainless. Both are excellent out to 125 yards. The Carbine can go a little longer. I use boxes of the Black Talon in the SBH as I went out and bought all I could before they were "disappeared". The SBH really zings them in there in a very tight group. I use other handloads to practice. I need to go shoot the carbine more, as I cannot remember what I shot through it!

However, little of my hunting is done where the ranges are less than 150 yards. So the Colt 7mm Rem Mag is used most.