GlockTalk Forum banner

81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
12,792 Posts
I submitted my training request for approval

They cut me down to 10 handgun rounds and 20 shotgun round per student. With a two hour time.

That’s pretty pitiful. They want me to use dummy rounds for the majority of my loading repetitions.

I guess with the current ammo situation I can’t be too upset, but it really isn’t what I was wanting to do.

I’ve had to cut it down to a bare bones nomenclature, department directives, basic operating and pistol transitions
Freaking bureaucrats! :fist:

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I qualify with my SG next Monday. If it is the same as last year it is 5 rounds of buckshot and 5 rounds of slugs. I don't remember the distance.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
That makes me absolutely furious.

In 2019 four of my co-workers got shot in two seperate incidents.

Three pistols were dropped on the ground. None of them had backup guns.

A lot more of our guys carry backup guns after seeing that.
I'm not going to say anything more than I'd rather answer for violating a policy than being dead.

·
Registered
14,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Thanks is for the ideas guys. I got the training approved, however, the allotted time and round count had been cut down to practically nothing.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
You named your shotgun Lamar? HA! That's awesome! Mine is named grandpa. It's funny how most weapons don't receive names, but shotguns usually do.

Like you, I also started my LE career with a good ol' wheelgun (S&W 681) a pair of speed loaders, a model 60 on my ankle and ol' grandpa next to me. The state troopers had a patrol rifle (Ruger Mini 14) but us city boys did not.
Mine is E F Hutton.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_ygqPepLjM

·
Heavy Mettle
3,776 Posts
Carried an 870 every day up until the last day I worked. Incidentally, got to go to the range that day and qualified on my Benelli M1... felt like an operator because it says imported by HK on the side.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
We are required to have one long gun in the vehicle. It’s Officer preference (if qualified) which one they take, when I was a Sgt I always took both a shotgun and a rifle to give me options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
19,511 Posts
I submitted my training request for approval

They cut me down to 10 handgun rounds and 20 shotgun round per student. With a two hour time.

That’s pretty pitiful. They want me to use dummy rounds for the majority of my loading repetitions.

I guess with the current ammo situation I can’t be too upset, but it really isn’t what I was wanting to do.

I’ve had to cut it down to a bare bones nomenclature, department directives, basic operating and pistol transitions
Wow. That is barely a familiarization course, I would be hard pressed to call it training. How do they expect them to have enough training repetitions to be able to recall under high stress?

·
Registered
14,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Wow. That is barely a familiarization course, I would be hard pressed to call it training. How do they expect them to have enough training repetitions to be able to recall under high stress?
They don’t care. Plain and simple.

Four officers shot and one killed in 2019. Not a shot fired in return on our part. I thought that would motivate them. But obviously it didn’t.

·
Registered
19,511 Posts

Four officers shot and one killed in 2019. Not a shot fired in return on our part. I thought that would motivate them. But obviously it didn’t.
Unfortunately for a lot of pantywaist administrators they see it as more beneficial (for their career) to shed crocodile tears in front of a camera when an officer gets killed than to have that same officer shoot and kill his assailant.

·
Mr. Awesome
10,269 Posts

WTF. Not one shot returned, out of five? How is that possible?

·
Registered
14,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
WTF. Not one shot returned, out of five? How is that possible?
One was shot five times on a traffic stop before he had a chance to return fire he was wounded very seriously.

The other three were ambushed in total darkness on a DV call by a POS wearing NV goggles, body armor, and using an AR15 with an infrared laser. They didn’t have a chance. It was all over in a few seconds.

Two were wounded but escaped. One, who was my close friend, was killed.

·
Mr. Awesome
10,269 Posts
One was shot five times on a traffic stop before he had a chance to return fire he was wounded very seriously.

The other three were ambushed in total darkness on a DV call by a POS wearing NV goggles, body armor, and using an AR15 with an infrared laser. They didn’t have a chance. It was all over in a few seconds.

Two were wounded but escaped. One, who was my close friend, was killed.
Jesus. I’m sorry. Did the asshat with all the gear hit the National news? It sounds vaguely familiar.

·
Registered
14,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Jesus. I’m sorry. Did the asshat with all the gear hit the National news? It sounds vaguely familiar.
It got a little national media attention but not much, and not for long. It was a much bigger ado locally.

·
NRA Life Member
911 Posts
We are required to have one long gun in the vehicle. It’s Officer preference (if qualified) which one they take, when I was a Sgt I always took both a shotgun and a rifle to give me options.

Two comments:
Better to have it an not need it than to need it an not have it.
Right tool for the job at hand.

Reactions: Badger54

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
I found out today by the end of 2020 our 14" Remington 870s will be taken out of service.

We'll still have M4/M16 SBRs or Sig MPX carbines.

Recently while out in the field my team was re-tasked with finding a violent felon. Since I carry both an SBR and a shotgun I was able to give the shotgun to another officer in the field.

Sadly most officers don't want to carry the shotgun so they sit in the armory.

Given the current operating environment and hostility a shotgun might be more palatable to the rabid cop haters out there.

·
Registered
14,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
I found out today by the end of 2020 our 14" Remington 870s will be taken out of service.

We'll still have M4/M16 SBRs or Sig MPX carbines.

Recently while out in the field my team was re-tasked with finding a violent felon. Since I carry both an SBR and a shotgun I was able to give the shotgun to another officer in the field.

Sadly most officers don't want to carry the shotgun so they sit in the armory.

Given the current operating environment and hostility a shotgun might be more palatable to the rabid cop haters out there.
I hate to hear that. I would love a 14”

I can see no longer ordering new shotguns, but why take the existing ones up?

I’m fighting to get shotguns we have in inventory issued out and make use of them. They aren’t doing any good sitting in property.

We never get rid of anything.......may as well use something that can arm some rookies up even if it’s not a rifle.

Blows my mind that AR15’s require a 24 hour Patrol rifle training, but I can hand you a shotgun right out of the closet.

Shotguns require way more training and practice to run properly under stress than a rifle. Hell, an M16 starts out with 30rds and reloads with a 30rd mag. Our 870’s start out with 4 rounds and reload 1 round at a time...........

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Have your Congress critter facilitate repurposing our shotguns to your department.

My fear is that they’ll be cut in half/destroyed after they are returned to the (national) armory .

I’d rather they go to a local police department.

The shotguns are set up well:
14” barrel, shortened LOP speedfeed pistol grip stock, +1 extension, Scattergun ghost ring, SF LED lights, sling, side saddle.

81 - 100 of 104 Posts