Who still carries a 357 sig Glock?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by VIS07, Oct 19, 2019.

1. troysglock

troysglock Member

EF07DBAD-389C-426E-8B75-7143241071E8.jpeg The movement is gaining velocity.

Teecher45, Deputydave and AdamRodgers like this.
  2. AdamRodgers

AdamRodgers No Stock Glock's

Now that's funny. :animlol:

Teecher45 likes this.

3. archery68

archery68

I love reading the caliber threads, I really do. Lots of great info on the calibers.

Here is my two cents worth. Shoot and carry what you want. They all will work depending on your needs and uses. I am not LE. I own pistols for one reason, to protect myself and my family. I own and enjoy shooting 9mm, 40 and 45. My favorite 9mm is a Glock 19.4. My favorite 40 is an HKVP40. My favorite 45 is a Glock 30.4 I rotate around quite often on which I carry. Also depends on time of year. Summer is always the 19. Other times, it’s owb with a shirt concealing whatever I am carrying at the time. I carry one extra mag with me no matter what weapon I have. That is enough. If I have to use them, my objective is to protect myself, my family and others if I have to and to stop the threat but to, as we said in the military, to un-ass the area!!! I do not feel under gunned or over gunned with any of them. I shoot them all well and trust my life and family’s life with any of them. I have never owned a 357 sig or 10mm. Think they are great and if that’s what you want, go for it. For me personally and my needs, I have never had a reason to own one. I have 9, 40, and 45 in case the crap ever hits the fan, in my part of the world, that’s the calibers people have. Lots of LE folks use all three so I should be able to find some if I happen to run out. Not likely to run out though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdamRodgers likes this.
  4. Teecher45

Teecher45

But all of them except your 19 is worthless.

JK. A well thought-out reply. And I agree with it.

I just have a hard time siting back and listening to people who think their “feelings” outweigh data.
    Maybe it’s the math teacher in me, dunno.
    I just keep thinking there are some people who are reading these threads, with an open mind, looking for a pistol to protect themselves and their families.
    I just want to make sure they hear both sides.

AdamRodgers likes this.
  5. unit1069

unit1069

You're good to go with your setup.

I own two self-defense calibers, 9mm and .357sig. The 9mm pistols get most CCW time in the city but the .357sig has a greater range of effectiveness. I'm not often out in remote woods or open range country so I don't feel the need to buy a .40S&W OEM barrel for my .357sig as a Hornady 147-grain XTP at 1250 fps and 23" of penetration ought to be sufficient for where I live. If I really thought that wasn't enough I'd run a 125-grain TC round.

I try to keep out of the many caliber wars on GT threads because each individual has to make a decision reliant on his/her own counsel. I believe in total gun/ammo reliability above all else, with accuracy a close second; and for all the chaff that's thrown up in these threads it seems to boil down to power vs. follow-up split second shots. I have a quandary because my .357sig is the most accurate pistol I own. I'm not a great marksman and certainly not an accomplished gunslinger but still I'm amazed at how good a shot I am with the .357sig round. So if one has two unquestionably effective self-defense calibers --- one with slightly quicker followup shots and the other more powerful and accurate --- which is the better choice?

Bus007, archery68 and Railsplitter like this.
  6. thoin

thoin

There it is. ^ After all is said and done, a weapon (firearm, etc.) is a tool. Pick the right one for the job and the one that you can do your "best work" with while being proficient in its' use.

Teecher45 and TacticalDesire like this.
  7. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

The 357 Sig was a great woods gun from the beginning but then Underwood Ammo came along and brought it up to a new level much as they did for the 10mm. There are very few 4 legged threats that a 357 Sig loaded with Underwood can't take care of.

My general purpose woods load is the rugged bonded UA 125gr Gold Dot and for boar or black bear threats I load with the UA 125gr FN FMJ round. This bullet has a large flat meplat for it's size and 600+ ft/lbs of energy out of a 4 inch barrel to ensure good penetration.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/colle...rain-full-metal-jacket?variant=18785726169145

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    LS357, Bus007 and Deputydave like this.
  8. AdamRodgers

Well I can say this, the NC Highway Patrol will more than likely have the 357 Sig as there cartridge of choice for the next 4 to 5 years, possibly more.

They got about 2,000 Sig P226 357 Sig's in 2014-2015 they like the barrier penetration of the round.

The NC Highway Patrol has had a long relationship with FAST .355 - .358 bullets. I remember being just a small little dude when Daddy showed me a Trooper carrying what I think was a Colt Python 357 Mag. I am not 100% about the Colt but I do know for 100% there caliber was the 357 Magnum and there last Revolver was a S&W 686 357 some with a 4 inch barrel and some with a 6 incher.. I believe the older, senior Troopers who didn't pull as much road patrol duty carried the 4 inch version.

I will ask a friend to see if he could enlighten me a bit on that, he is a current NCSHP Officer and loves the history of the NC Highway Patrol.

Sorta off topic, but most of my post go that way. Just thought it was interesting. :cheers:

9. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

Howdy Adam, does your State recognize the .357 sig as a hunting caliber for deer. Are pigs and bear consider feral, or is there a season with prescribed allowable cartridges?

AdamRodgers likes this.
  10. AdamRodgers

Yes Sir. The 357 can be used for Deer, Hogs, and even Bear.

The Hog situation in NC is getting sorta bad in spots. S8 I can hunt hogs with my G17. Now I limit the size of the hog to no more that say 200 lbs..

These hogs can turn our fields into a mess over night so there sorta considered a pest, a tasty pest. :D

I am on my cellphone so I sorta fumble with posting links so this screen shot will help.

Screenshot_20191115-074823_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Rocky7 likes this.
  11. Rocky7

Thanks for the response. Im on a phone as well as my location is never static.

Indiana's hunting laws do not allow the .357 sig but do allow a 40 S&W in a 4” barrel. The family has 300 acres of prime deer territory soooo it does see use but legally. We have no hogs or bear that roam the woods or fields. The coyotes we have are protected as there is a season for them as well.

Hogs have yet to be reported this far north in our area, but I can only assume its just a matter of time.

AdamRodgers likes this.
  12. thoin

thoin

Back in the day, many of the NCSHP Troopers were issued and carried the Colt BORDER PATROL. A sweet pistol but not quite as nice as a PYTHON The U.S. Border Patrol ordered them, hence the name, but either only took part of the order, or refused all of them, can't remember for sure. But, half were purchased by the NCSHP and the other half by a state out west. They were marked BORDER PATROL on the barrel and were in .357 Mag with 4" barrels. The pistol served well for many years and was/is a prized possession by those that had/have them. The S&W Model 19 was in the mix with the BORDER PATROL pistol until the move to the S&W 66, then the S&W 686, then to the semi-autos of various makes and calibers, to the current Sig P226 in .357 Sig. The first pistol in .357 Sig caliber was the Beretta COUGAR.

AdamRodgers likes this.
  13. Rocky7

Actually that was a remarked Colt Trooper, good revolver.

AdamRodgers and thoin like this.
  14. archery68

archery68

You are saying my HK Vp40 and Glock 30 are worthless? Really? Because of the pistol or caliber? Your opinion. I do not agree they are worthless. I shoot them well and are comfortable with them. I assure you they will get the job done if need be. Any of them.

15. thoin

thoin

Yes it was. All were nickle plated from Colt, but many of the guys had them chrome plated.

Rocky7 likes this.
  16. SDGlock23

SDGlock23 JABRONI AUTIST

I definitely think highly of the 357 SIG, over the years I've had a few 357 SIG barrels and I do believe I bought a G31 once. I can't say anything bad about it, I do know that you can handload it to levels that are extremely impressive because I got the urge to try loading up some actual .357" Hornady XTP bullets in the 357 SIG and was highly impressed with the ballistics using 800x. They were just shy of maximum 357 Mag handloads from a 6" revolver, so it's definitely got a LOT of performance potential.

That said, I don't use it as a carry round. That's not because I don't like it, it's just that traditionally it's a round I never shot a lot of, mainly due to price. The other aspect is that I've decided to consolidate pretty much to all .40 S&W for semi autos (except for my pocket G42). I've toyed with getting a 357 SIG barrel or two in order to keep playing with it, and I might because it's a good cartridge, especially if one is in the mood for light and fast. Typically I think the 125gr 357 SIG and 155gr .40 are very similar performers, for factory loads anyways.

AdamRodgers likes this.
  17. AdamRodgers

Yes Sir, not a problem.

We do have barrel length rules for deer and bear but soon as they throw the wild or feral hog into the Varmint, Feral, or Non Native Species class the rules get slackened quite a bit.

My friends and I have used the rules to our gain. We don't do anything crazy or un ethical but I have no problems popping a piggy with a good 9mm self defense load. I keep my range to no more than 30 yards and I pick my shots plus picking 200 lbs or less hog. I have never had one to go more than 40 to 50 yards and I have not had to hit one more than 4 times and that was cause the rascal was running AT me..:eek:

This is a way we get food of our families, and we give also to homless shelters and some Churches know folks that need and appreciate a nice fat hog. Also we get to test our carry loads.

We don't hunt them year round like some do, we will start about the time archery season comes in for deer and we hunt them all fall and winter. We like to eat our critters we shoot and being this is not 1820 I see no reason to shoot a hog in the summer with all them ticks and fleas on em, YUCK! :confused: pass on that.

Edited : Need to clarify something.

I said I see no reason to hunt wild hogs in the summer, well if there tearing up crops the way they do in some places then by all means do what is needed to keep the crops in the field.

Bus007 and Rocky7 like this.
  18. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

I agree that the GD makes a fine general purpose round, in most every caliber except perhaps .380. I think for woods carry purposes you made a good decision on the UA 125gr FN FMJ for the extra penetration characteristics.

I had several 'woods carry' threads in CC a while back. Tough choice between 40 and 357 for the woods. Ultimately I decided to stay with 40 in my G22.4 but as I mentioned in a different thread, if I saw a 357sig barrel for my G22.4 at a 'can't pass up price' I'd be very tempted to get it 'just because'.

Railsplitter, Bus007 and AdamRodgers like this.
  19. Rocky7

I’ve never felt a true Woods gun was small diameters and just fast. Hunting in the Woods with brush and trees saw many a hunter and myself with larger diameters and ability to get to the target.

Granted for open fields over soy beans the .357 sig dispatches ground hogs if you do your job, or a coyote in a clearing.

If I was contemplating another barrel I would get the .40s&w and a longer barrel..... lets say 6”.

Deputydave likes this.
  20. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

I fully understand and agree with you in regards to woods and brush. It can definitely be an issue for smaller/lighter rounds. One of the reasons I like/prefer my G22.4 in 40S&W in 180 grain weight. Although I've spoken negatively about the 357sig in terms of SD I don't want that to be confuses with a dislike for the round. I wish the round wasn't as expensive as it it (locally) and had more availability (locally) than it does. Although it has the negatives I've mentioned above and in other threads, it is still a viable round and I've always liked it and the .357 magnum for various purposes. I think in my A.O. it would do a very adequate job for most woods defense needs with the exception of going through heavy brush as you mention. I think it would go through heavy brush to a certain extent, but I think a smaller/lighter round would be easier to deflect than a larger/heavier round. That is my belief, however, I'd have to do some research to see if that pans out.