close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Who shoots USPSA with a GLOCK?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by pangris, Aug 11, 2003.

1. pangris

pangris Moderator

Greetings, all. I am starting to shoot USPSA and while I initially played around in limited with my Para P-14.45, I think that the good ol' Glock will probably serve me best in Production class.

Who else shoots USPSA, and with what? How have you done? What holster do you use? Any interesting war stories?

THANKS!

Paul

2. marvin

marvin sci-fi nut

i shoot a glock 24 with a beaver tail that i put on myself, bomar sights. i'm an A class shooter and i think that a glock takes some of the thinking out of the game i don't worry about my gun if i feed it good ammo she works great. I use a CR Speed holster.

3. Guest

I compete in USPSA limited, limited-10 and production divisions with Glock 34s and 35s. Check out specific equipment details in the "Blasters" page of my website.

Chris Patty
    Team AGrip
    www.cpwsa.com

4. Navy joe

Navy joe TFL Member

I shoot a 34 and 17 in Production and Limited. The 9mm Limited is just for fun. I am straight C( A47012, I suck) class in L10, Lim and Production, but think I am doing better than the classifiers reflect. Basically I Don't want to make B in any class until a major match. I think shooting minor in Limited keeps me sandbagged without me trying. The amount of points I drop is criminal, but I do it quickly. ;f
    When I decide it's time I will pony up for the STI and shoot Limited for real.

The Glocks have been good to me so far, I've had one 10 months now and the other seven and have shot a ton of matches with them. When shooting winter matches it makes me feel ggod to be able to clean my glock or 1911 mags in a clean mud puddle while the STI guys are back at their bags rubbing, scrubbing, hoping, and praying. I use real world holsters like a G-Code paddle or a Blade-tech because I carry with them, they are production legal, and I'm not getting a Buck Rogers get-up until I get a STI.

5. Jakk

Jakk Millennium Member

I have used both the G35 and G20. I have managed to come in first at a couple of local matches. I switched to the Glock because my wife likes shooting the Para. I shoot them mostly in Limited. I'm classified in L-10 and Prod, but I like playing with the big mags.

I really like the Uncle Mikes Kydex (plastic?) holster. It really doesn't feel that slow compared to my race holsters for my other guns. And is holds the gun securely. No fear of dropped guns here.

6. Flexmoney

Flexmoney

G35 - Limited, Limited10 & Production. Pretty much stock, except for sights and trigger tuning. (Any old holster...Hogue, Fobus, Uncle Mike's, etc.)

I'll sneak around with my girlfriend's G17 sometimes too.

She is now using a G20 with a 40(KKM). That shoots pretty nice.

I have an Open G34 that I'll try if I ever get around to finishing it.

7. Gonad

Gonad Millennium Member

I have used a Glock 35 in USPSA for the last 4 years. I shoot in the Limited 10 division. I never feel under gunned with the Glock. It works every time and gets the job done. It's a better gun then I am a shooter but it has helped me improve tons since I got the 35.

Funny story about the 1911 guys VS my glock. I always laugh inside when I see the expensive 1911 style guns have jam after jam every week when my Glock never jams or misfeeds.

One week I saw a 1911 style gun owner after shooting one stage take all his mags apart and brush them all out with a brush then spray tons of lubricant into the mag tubes. Then the best part was he took all the rounds of ammo and put them in a zip lock bag and then sprayed the same lubricant into the bag and shook the ammo all around in the lubricant and then put the mag back togather and added the lubricated rounds to the mag. I'm sitting there thinking to myself gee I clean my mags once a year in Simple Green and have never used a brush or lubricant and have had zero problems.

I'll stick with the Glock 35 thank you very much.

8. Ricky T

Ricky T Millennium Member

Glock 17 with A-grip, Heinie sights, 3.5 lb trigger, Blade Tech vertical drop holster. I'm not a member of USPSA so I don't have a classification. I'm an Expert in IDPA.

9. Mark Mullineaux

Mark Mullineaux

Pangris,

What is it that you want to do with a Glock? Have you purchased or decided on a model yet? You mentioned limited class but referenced a gun that would probably have been major.

There are a lot of us here who would be happy to give you advise if you ask a question.

My Glock 24 has become just about anything I have asked of it. I am currently shooting major open, although not as it came from the factory, and couldn't be happier with it.

After consulting opinions from other Glock Talkers and spending alot of time looking up holsters on the Webb, I went with a CR speed holster. I have asked other questions and received valueable information to consider. The point is we all have opinions and most of us like to share them.

10. johnbob

johnbob Millennium Member

I use a G21, mostly limited class but this weekend my club did a special classifier and I did my rounds for a production card. 3.5 trigger, hogue sleeve (but I have an A-grip not installed yet), and a fobus holster and mag pouches, stock plastic sights (interested in a Hi-viz front). The most expensive thing I've bought is a couple Taylor Freelance Ext. base pads. I don't practice, make a match probably 5-6 times a year, shoot cheap factory hardball, don't have to worry about the Glock choking up. Wouldn't mind a cheap G-17 for cheap production rig, but might try a Beretta 92 or a Browning Hi-power to learn it's manual of arms.

11. pangris

pangris Moderator

I appreciate the willingness to help... I own a couple Glocks.
    Right now (it does change) G17, G21, (2) G22s, custom G24(Caspian slide, KKM barrel, etc etc), and (2) G36s. One G22 is on long term loan to my dad.

I think I am going to start in production with ??? and limited 10 with my Caspian/24 thingie.

Just wondering who shot, and how successfully - I laugh a little when they clean their mags after every stage, too :) But I own a Para P-14.45 and love it!!! It is a carry gun, though, not a race toy.

But I will build a race toy - oh yes, I will...

Paul

12. joseywales

joseywales

Pangris,

Started USPSA last summer using a G35 in L10.
    I didn't know it until it happened, but the frame on this pistol was subject to the Glock frame recall. Long-story short, the rear frame rails sheared off, so I was without an L10 pistol for a while.

So, I took up USPSA Production with a G34.
    Here's what I use in Production.
    -Heine fixed sights (CGR race-cut)
    -Little bit of skateboard tape on the grips
    -Kytac Sooper-Hooper II holster & mag pouches (had Uncle Mikes - Kytac is much better IMO)
    -Charlie Vanek trigger job

When the G35 came back, I started shooting Limited.
    I use the exact same setup as the G34, only added a couple of hi-cap mags with Arrendondo extensions.

Good luck with your shooting!

13. vettman1

vettman1

I shoot a G22C (open class, major) with my USPSA club. Everything is stock on the gun, adjustable sights, 5.5# trigger, etc. I love beating the guys with the STI guns that cost about 5 times what mine did. I am one of the very few that shoot glock during our matches. Actually I'm the only member of the club that does. I catch so much hell about it, but after I shoot and the scores are posted, it usually keeps them quiet for a while. I just laugh at the comments like "hey you better get out of the sun so your gun doesn't melt". I fling it right back at them and tell them that I hope that their gun doesn't jam on them. I usually get a nervous laugh from them. Anyway, it's all in fun and everyone respects everyone else. Great group of guys.

14. ryucasta

ryucasta IDPA/IPSC Cuban

Let's see a G35 for Limited a G34 for Production and a G17 in Open (Refer to Avatar for G17)

15. mlanush

mlanush

I shoot a g-21 in Lim-10 and some limited (with Grams +5 basepads) I enjpy lim-10 the most. I think when I can out shoot my 21 then i will think about a STI or Para but that is a loooong time coming......................ML

16. Glk21C

Glk21C

21 w/Mepro Night sites, 3.5lb trigger, fobus paddle holsters and mag holders. Production class. Only recently started competing and my goal for just the near future is not to finish last for my own satisfaction. So far, so good.

17. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

I have one for every USPSA, IDPA and GSSF division.

18. pangris

pangris Moderator

Here is my 24... glad I didn't sell it!

Paul

19. vluc

vluc

G34 for Production and Limited 10. All stock save for some trigger tuning...that some phillistines want to stop us from doing!!!!!

20. sarge

sarge Millennium Member

I shoot a G35 in limited and limited 10, a G21 in L10, and a G17 in production. I shoot whatever I am in the mood to shoot that match, but mostly the G35 in L10.