GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
troy ounce gold
1,435 Posts
The only aftermarket part/s I have used on my GLOCKs are:
a) an AA 22LR conversion kit on a gen 3 G19 frame.
b) a stainless steel 9mm conversion barrel on a gen 3 G32.

OEM part/s is always the preferred choice unless NOT available.

·
Banned
8,991 Posts
Over the years, I've tried various sleeves (Pachmayer etc) and grip tape on my EDC G26 Gen3. Right now I only have tape on the front strap and back strap. Seems to enhance the grip without enlarging it too much (tape on the sides of the grip didn't seem to really help with the grip that much, anyway).

How does everyone else carry their Gen3's? Naked or covered up?
naked

·
I'm your huckleberry....
17,477 Posts
How does everyone else carry their Gen3's? Naked or covered up?
I was using TALON rough/grit finish 'cause I thought it gave a good grip. Just to see, I bought a set of TRACTION GRIPS http://tractiongrips.com/id47.html rubberized finish and it made me change! I took the grit stuff off, replaced with rubber finish and haven't looked back. Looks and seems to hold up better, too. My grandson likes his as well.

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Try it with wet hands.
That's why I left grip tape on the front and back strap, although I'm leaning towards doing away with it altogether.

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Naked Gen 3 27 here. Tried all the tapes and grips. Just feels better naked.
That's exactly how I'm starting to feel (pun intended).

Reactions: JHCJR

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
that's interesting.... do all matches have things like that going on?
I've been considering starting competitive shooting w/ a buddy from work.

to answer OP, naked... prefer Gen 3.
Not really, that's more hard core IDPA, geared for experienced competition shooters. Takes allot of setup and staging. But if you are new, best thing is to find the closest IDPA/USPA match to you, call the match director and jump in.

·
On the Border
15,281 Posts
Side panels only for me, per Production rules. Carry guns are the same way.

Even if it was legal, I would not want tape on the front and back straps. That gets me way too committed to the initial index. The gun needs to stay loose on draws and reloads until right before the mount comes together.

Especially with reloads on a gen3 Glock. It's critical for the gun to pivot freely immediately when it comes out of the mount. With that tiny little mag catch, there's not much margin for error.

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Side panels only for me, per Production rules. Carry guns are the same way.

Even if it was legal, I would not want tape on the front and back straps. That gets me way too committed to the initial index. The gun needs to stay loose on draws and reloads until right before the mount comes together.

Especially with reloads on a gen3 Glock. It's critical for the gun to pivot freely immediately when it comes out of the mount. With that tiny little mag catch, there's not much margin for error.
Interesting take. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Talon rubber texture grips on my G36 and Kahr CM9.

·
On the Border
15,281 Posts
Interesting take. Thanks.
Of course this is pretty personal, and the specific size and geometry of a shooter's hands play a role.

I remember Miculek talking about how he used talcum powder on his revolver handle to facilitate draws and reloads, because he needed the gun to be able to move in his hand right up to the last instant. That's pretty extreme, but it illustrates the point.

It's almost impossible to get a 99% draw index every time. But you can learn to break it down into steps that occur while the gun is in motion. For me, that requires the gun to stay loose until the sights are almost on target.

The gen3 reload is one of the hardest things to really nail consistently. For me, it's imperative for the gun to pivot immediately after the last shot is called to get a fast standing reload. If the gun sticks to your hand as it comes back, it's very difficult to get consistent sub-second reloads with that tiny button and wide grip.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Right now on my G22 I have the rubberized Talons only on the sides, and Grip Force beavertail back strap.
I really like the beaver tail add because not only does it eliminate slide bite, it also takes some of the "hump" out by flattening out the upper part of the rear grip.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
QwikGrips for competition and Talon Rubber for carry. I used to run an IDPA stage that had you start with your hands in soapy water to simulate blood, try picking up a stock Glock after doing that. Course we put a towel next to for the 1911 guys.....
This sounds terribly unsafe.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
This sounds terribly unsafe.
Yeah...it really does. I'm all for trying to prepare for bad situations, but I don't think bloody hands is something you can really prepare for. Soapy water sounds like a good way to shoot yourself, or worse yet, someone else.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts