close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Who Reads EBOOKS

Discussion in 'The Book Rack' started by bubllehead, Jan 23, 2007.

1. bubllehead

bubllehead

I'm curious if any one else is reading on a screen. I've been reading Baen books for a couple of years and have a fictionwise acount. Must have 50 books on my laptop.

What devices do y'all use to read them?

2. GAC

GAC

The Library I worked at in Phoenix sunk a lot of money into e-books a few years ago buy purchasing 100 electronic readers. I think the company was RCA (bought out by Gemstar). The e-book readers were really neat and you could add bookmarks, take notes, adjust the screen brightness, all that stuff. I liked the readers but the company did not last and the Library had trouble organizing how the books would get loaded onto the readers.

I don't think I'd like to read a book on a laptop; the screen wears out my eyes. Netlibrary is still around and I have read some of their titles - a bit at a time - when I had more access to their collection.

I've never bought an e-book and I doubt I will anytime soon. Paper copies are much more numerous and I enjoy reading them.

3. bubllehead

bubllehead

I can see the abjection if it's uncomfortable to read on a laptop for you. personally I like it though. I just sit on a chair at the table or w/ a lap desk and read away.:banana:

I like Baen best, because they publish some of my favorite authors, they put books out in open easy to use formats, and they charge about $5.00 per book at about the time of hard cover relies. They also have a free library. More like free samples, mostly dated material or the first or second book in a series. lots of stuff here; http://www.baen.com/library/ :cool:

4. Razor

Razor Millennium Member

Thanks to Baen and their free library, I have quite an extensive collection on my Palm PDA.

5. creekwalker

creekwalker

Baen's e-books site is great. You can also find H.Beam Piper's books as well as other long out of print books on line at the Gutenberg site. Once you get used to reading books on screen you find its far simpler to aquire reading material.
    creekwalker:wavey:

6. Razor

Razor Millennium Member

Arrgh. You just had to remind me about the Gutenberg site. There goes the rest of the space on my memory card...:supergrin:

7. bubllehead

bubllehead

8. GAC

GAC

I'm not much of a Sci-Fi fan but I have been reading Eric Flint's 1632 series. I think the stories tend to run too long but I've mostly enjoyed them.

9. reerc

reerc Just a member

I've read a couple of books on the laptop; first when I discoverd MS Reader six or eight years ago, then again when I bought a SanDisk flash drive, and it had a little applet on it for partitioning the drive and downloading free content. (It's a white flash drive with two caps - one with a ring and one with a lanyard; obviously marketing to the student crowd.)

I'm not horribly opposed to it, would do it again, just don't think it's as convenient as picking up a "real" ink-on-paper book.

(Actually, if i can find a good deal on one of those SanDisk flash drives in 1GB, I may get one and just fill it up with stuff like dictionaries, and such and use it as a reader; forget the file copying.)

10. sorcerer

sorcerer