Who prefers to carry a full size pistol?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Wolfdad, May 15, 2018.

1. Wolfdad

Wolfdad

I was told long ago to carry what you shoot best and for me , that`s a full size gun. I carried a G 23 and also have an XDs, both good guns but I`m not comfortable with the grip. I prefer a G 21 or G 20 and shoot them more comfortably. I carry 357 mag level rounds in the G 20 saving full house loads for the woods. Carrying concealed, as I prefer, requires some forethought but I find it doable. The Secret Service carries some big guns and you would never know it. I know the trend now is sub compact single stacks and they are fine for what they are, but are they the best for you. In a self defense situation, I want what`s best for me in my hands.

2. jmohme

jmohme

I carry my G20 everyday.
    I do own a G19, but prefer the full size handgun.

3. arkdweller22

arkdweller22 Cuhootnified

Before moving to FL, I carried a G-20 most of the year.
    Switched to a 29 after moving here. Too damn hot to conceal anything bigger.

Wolfdad and F14A like this.
  4. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Where do you live?

I'd like to "EDC" a full size, but in southern summers, and while actually moving around and doing things around other people, it's impossible to do so without either printing, or wearing extra layers of clothing that are just plain hot + look suspicious to anybody looking for that sort of thing

Cali.Glock, BEANCOUNTER and Wolfdad like this.
  5. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

I have carried a FN 5.7, a 4" .357 Magnum, and presently a G41. Summer garb is T shirt and jeans. I prefer full size.

6. A6Gator

A6Gator

I've yet to read an after-action report where the good guy wished that he had a smaller gun or less rounds.

I shoot a 5" 1911 much, much better that a G43. I don't do deep undercover stuff, so I just dress around the gun.

7. Bwillis

Bwillis NRA LIfe Member

I appendix a cz 75 bd spring, summer, fall and winter. Before I carried a m&p 2.0 full size in a tuctite annex and I started with a g17 in a trex sidecar.

Attached Files:

Wolfdad likes this.
  8. Wolfdad

Wolfdad

I live in Northern New England in a rural setting but do travel to the city occasionally.

9. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Ive tried, but full size doesn’t conceal to my liking for me. Still, I prefer the ability to get a full grip, which a G19 does for me, or much better yet an EDC X9.

Wolfdad and cghelton like this.
  10. Glockman4

Glockman4

I do regularly. I’m over 6 ft tall and over 200 pounds though so it’s not that difficult.

To me a Glock 19 is a “small” gun, relatively

Wolfdad and G19 fan like this.
  11. skyfall

skyfall

I carry an HK VP9. Every day and have for over a year with no problem.

Cali.Glock and Wolfdad like this.
  12. Decutor

Decutor

Occasionally I carry my duty pistol, a 17. But very, very rarely. Typically when I change before I leave the office to go out somewhere.

Good on you for carrying the largest gun you can stand to carry though. That's the mindset I wish most carriers would get into. Carry in-waistband to offset that longer barrel and use a holster with a slight cant forward to help hide that muzzle and you'll be good to go even in a t-shirt.

As for me though, the guns I carry the most are 19 sized -- P229, M2.0C, P320, etc. Something large enough to fight with, but small enough to hide without being inconvenienced.

Equally as rarely as I carry the 17 do I carry anything smaller. I am trying the P365 now for the summer. Results have been good so far, with about 500 down the pipe.

fredj338, orangejeep06 and Wolfdad like this.
  13. Wolfdad

Wolfdad

My G 23 was a Gen3 and I liked the gun but I just needed a little bigger grip. A Gen4 with the bigger back piece would have been better but would still need an X-grip. My G 20 is completely stock.

14. Pistolay

Pistolay

I like to shoot larger guns, but I won't carry them due to my extreme aversion to printing.

Wolfdad likes this.
  15. F350

F350

Does a 5" fat body 1911 (double stack mag) count as full sized??

I'm in Wyoming so during cold weather I "conceal" because a coat of some sort is required. During warmer weather I OC which doesn't draw a second glance except from tourists; God bless Free America.

16. F14A

F14A

P220ST here. It's a beast of a pistol.

I will carry a snubby .357 in summer.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    Wolfdad likes this.
  17. John_AZ

John_AZ

Round here we dress in the winter how most people dress in the summer in the rest of the USA.

Luckily, my hands are small to medium. The Glock 19 fits pretty well. A little cramped, but close enough that I don’t notice much difference with it or the 17 in the hand. The 19 carries a little easier.

I carry the 19 year round. Occasionally substitute the XDs or j frame if just going to be around the house or to the family’s for dinner. But if I’m out and about, it’s usually the 19.

18. newglocker10mm

newglocker10mm Texas Born & Bred

Carry a full size Beretta, Beretta Centurion, HK USP, Sig P220 or Glock 30 year round. During summer here in Oklahoma I usually wear jeans, t shirt and a cover shirt most if the time anyway. No printing at all unless I’m bent over picking something up. Most people don’t pay as much attention as we think they do.

orangejeep06, glock1097 and Wolfdad like this.
  19. Jerry52

Jerry52

2 357 j frames works for me

janice6 and Wolfdad like this.
  20. Smokey613

Smokey613

My new Sig P365 has been the best thing to happen to my off duty carry options. I use the 12 rd mags in a Vedder IWB Light tuck which works great in the Texas heat. Not only that, I shoot it as good or better than anything else I have. It really has been, dare I say it, a real game changer for me.