Who makes the best aftermarket mags?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by bfg1971, Jun 16, 2020.

1. mley1

mley1

I use nothing but Wilson mags now. I use 47D’s, ETM’s, and for my compact the 47ox and 47dox. I’ve tried chips, the factory mags for Springfield, checkmate, mecgar, and metalform. They never were 100% for me. Wilson’s have been. At some point I may try those really expensive Wilson Vickers model, but the other Wilson’s are doing great. So, I haven’t seen the need.

Sent from my iPhone using Glock Talk mobile app

2. 0311INF

0311INF

The 1911 mag follower (and spring pressure) are supposed to help provide some resistance to last round feeding, hence the little nub on the face of the GI style follower.

The purpose of the resistance is to prevent the last round in the mag from being pulled too far forward (a double feed) as the second to last round is fed.

While Wilson and some other mags with smooth followers provide this resistance, they do so with spring pressure alone. I find that a bit less comforting than the nub follower method/insurance.

The plastic Wilson followers also take a beating over time that generally requires regular replacement.

So the moral of the story is the guts of the Wilson mags need to be watched relatively closely for proper function, and replaced probably more frequently than your typical GI pattern mag. Not saying they're unreliable; I've owned quite a few myself. But also not my favorite.

3. chemboy

chemboy

I’ve had good luck with Wilson 47Ds for many years. First tried them with an early 2000s mfg Kimber that was giving me fits. No more problems with that particular Kimber from that point.

Gary1911A1 likes this.
  4. collim1

collim1

I have Wilson 47’s, Checkmate GI, and Mecgar 7rd.

They all seem to work fine with any ammo, JHP or FMJ, in my Colt and Springfield 1911.

The only mags I don’t like are the OEM style wadcutter mags. They don’t jam, but often fail to lock the slide back when empty.

5. hmsailor

hmsailor

wilson combat 47D. swap out plastic base pad to lopro alum.