close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Who Makes a Decent Keyboard???

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Nalapombu, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Nalapombu

Nalapombu Millennium Member

Hey all,

My Microsoft Keyboard just croaked. I had to go and buy a cheapie to get me through until I find a new one that I like. The problem is that I like the "clicky" kind that used to be on the IBM's of old. I have had some others that were pretty good too that were not IBM boards. I think they are mechanical switch type keyboards. I am talking about the ones that make noise when you type.

Just about every time I go into a store that has computer stuff I check out the keyboards looking for that RARE good feeling keyboard. Almost all the time I come away disappointed. These keyboards today really suck, they aren't very good at all. The keys are mushy and they don't give very much feedback when you type.

Does anyone know who is making good keyboards these days? What is your opinion on the keyboards of today? Do you have any suggestions on what I should look for?
    Thanks for any info you can give me.

Nala

2. pyblood

pyblood

I am not really big on keyboards, but I think that Logitech makes pretty good peripherals.
    Why not look on eBay for a keyboard that is identical to you old one?

3. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

By far the best keyboard I ever bought was the Acer Future Keyboard. It is superbly ergonomic and light-touch. I put a little riser under the rear (my side) of the keyboard because I like it slopping forward even more than it is. A few of my friends tried it, and some of them fell in love with it, some hated it. It is definitely different. I developed CTS long time ago, and on this keyboard I can type for hours without any unpleasant effects.

Unfortunately, they do not make them anymore (I guess they looked too futuristic), but you might get one on Ebay if it's new. I have two of them and would buy more if I found some.

BTW, the early ones were even more light-touch than later ones, but all were hands and shoulders above the current crop of generic keyboards on the market.

4. Blue59

Blue59

If you want nothing but the "real deal" IBM keyboards, they still do turn up on ebay for just a few dollars now and then. I have heard of people finding nice, clean like-new pulls for $10-$20 + shipping. You need to make CERTAIN that you are buying a "PC" keyboard and not a terminal keyboard; they aren't the same thing.
    ----
    If you want something "just like the IBM" but brand-new, and if you can pay a few dollars, then check out http://www.pckeyboard.com/ , and bring about $100. They build gov/mil-spec keyboards pretty much identical to the old IBM's, as well as some variations IBM never had. -And here again, you want a "PC" keyboard--not a terminal keyboard. PCKeyboard sells many of their items in both versions.
    ----
    I like the clickey-keys but really prefer the old Microsoft Natural ergo keyboards--if you look around you can find them for $20 every now and then. The original MS Natural keyboards are the ones with no multimedia keys or an f-lock key, the way God intended.
    ~~~~

5. srhoades

srhoades

I love the clicky kind as well. I beleive you need to buy a FOCUS keyboard. I have bought several and they are really rugged.

--edit

After poking around it seems FOCUS has discontinued several of their older keyboards. You may have to check ebay for some surplus sellers to get one of the clicky ones.

6. 9jeeps

9jeeps

for over two years now. $20. and change. Speakers, mic, cd install.

rugged. Up 2 U.....

7. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

keyboards were indeed IBM, and were manufactured in europe for many years after they stopped being standard equipment here.

you can still buy new (old stock) .. at around 50$ i believe.

however.. 1-5$ at thrift stores will often get you an armload.

i have several in the closet, and expect it's a 20 year supply. :)

Clackers Rule!

8. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I'm not real big on this or that Keyboard/Mouse. I've got a Dynex Keyboard and Optical mouse, they both work plenty good enough for me.

You can only get them at Best Buy.

IGF

9. USMC_G19

USMC_G19 Ham Salad

Logitech makes nice products. I have their wireless keyboard/mouse combo that works great. I'm a computer engineer by profession and would definitely recommend Logitech.

10. redshift

redshift

Think of it as a tactical keyboard... http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/7727/

Kidding aside, I'd vote for Logitech too, I've used and abused their products for years, and they're the only thing I've found that can stand up to 5 years of constant abuse before needing replaced.

11. Blue59

Blue59

The "Das Keyboard" got poor reviews a couple places I saw it. They claim the "five different weighted zones" is a Big Deal, but most people who have tried using one don't notice any difference.
    And at least one place I ran across was selling similar (blank) keyboards for $10.
    http://66.216.68.88/
    scroll down to "keyboards"....
    "Black Stealth 109-Key PS/2 Keyboard (Blacked Out Keys!)"
    (I can't link directly to it because of the way their website is set up)
    ------
    This place has changed names a few times (Package2You, TigerSurplus and now txMicro), they have never had a domain name at all (just used the IP numbers) BUT I have ordered stuff from them in the past and it was all done correctly. They have been around a few years now, they deal in salvage/close-out stuff, if you ever want it this place is worth looking around in.
    ~