close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Who Loves Ya Baby Back? (Rib Recipe)

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by GlockSpeed31, Jul 4, 2004.

1. GlockSpeed31

GlockSpeed31

I cook my ribs the way Alton Brown from FoodTv does. If you are interested in the recipe, check it out here http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_11125,00.html

Just a side note: these ribs are not your typical BBQ. It has a different taste, but good and tender. Slide off the bone tender.

Two things that I do differently is
    1) Remove all the "Silver Skin" from the backside of the ribs. I learned this from the main cooking instructor from Chili's restaurant when I worked there.

2) All the dry rub spices, I put in a blender to make a fine powder, seems to be able to get more consistant flavor that way.

Hope you enjoy this if you try it.
    GlockSpeed31

2. Glock_Geezer

Glock_Geezer Aiiieeee....

To date, the best baby backs I ever ate are the ones I make using my New Braunfels offset BBQ smoker and hickory logs. I use an excellent dry rub from a BBQ book I purchased that shares many of the ingredients in the Alton Brown recipe you just referenced.

HOWEVER, Alton's recipe looks interesting and is a tempting variation of the ones I make. Just as i have learned there is no one "best" way to make two of my other favorite foods - chili and potato salad, I will give this a try before rendering judgement.

I am an Alton fan, and I am sure these would be quite tasty, though I do not usually care for "falling-off-the-bone" tender (reminds me too much of the mushy "boiled" ribs served at way too many popular eating joint nowadays). I usually prefer the tenderness at a level that provides just a bit of resistance when being bitten, and a gentle "tug" too pull it cleanly off the bones. As with all things regarding taste, there will be many different preferences on this issue.

Since it is not always possible to fire up my smoker, this certainly looks like an excellent alternative, and I'll bet I can adjust the cooking time to approximate the level of tenderness I prefer.

Thanks for the receipe, and let me get back to you on this in the (hopefully) near future.

3. GlockSpeed31

GlockSpeed31

"I am an Alton fan, and I am sure these would be quite tasty, though I do not usually care for "falling-off-the-bone" tender (reminds me too much of the mushy "boiled" ribs served at way too many popular eating joint nowadays)."

The texture of the ribs is nowhere near the mushy texture of boiled ribs. I like to eat good tasting meat, not something that you can possibly get soap out of by boiling fat.
    This recipe is not your typical, sweet messy ribs. It is a diff. taste, but good.

4. Glock_Geezer

Glock_Geezer Aiiieeee....

Glad to hear that. I have been a little sensitive about the issue of meat that "falls apart" lately.

My in laws recently purchased a case of "frozen Kansas City Steaks" that (according to them) were so good and tender that they actually fell apart on the grill when they tried to flip them. I don't know about most folks, but I do NOT want my steaks to fall apart when I flip them. They wanted me to "go in" with them on another case. I politely declined.....

5. Remander

Remander

I have done that exact Alton Brown recipe a couple of times, and I like it a lot.

But last weekend at 4:00 on the way to the store for dinner supplies, my wife said she "might like some ribs." Which means, anything else will be a waste of my time to make her happy.

Crunch time. I put regular ribs (not babyback) in a "chicken roaster" type oven container that has a cover and a rack to keep the meat out of the liquid. Rubbed the ribs good with Stubb's brand rub. Put beer in the bottom of the roaster, and "beer steamed" the ribs at 350 for 1 1/2 hours.

Then I put them on the grill to dry them out and give a little "crisp" flavor, and I basted them with Stubb's BBQ sauce.

I would not choose this method if I had more time, but it was awesome (!!) for only having a couple of hours. Another 1/2 hr. in the steam would have optimized the tenderness, but they were pretty decent for short-timers.

The Stubb's products are really good.

6. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 13 Air Medals.

Been wanting to try Alton Brown Ya Baby Back. The recipe calls for Jalapeno seasoning. I can not find it. Can anyone please send me in the right direction. I my be looking in the wrong section of the stores. Thanks