Who Likes (Carries?) S&W .380 EZ

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by MGGLOCK9, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Lawdog3

Lawdog3 " Fast is fine but, accuracy is everything"

I think the just came out with the EZ in 9mm. If they work well than it's a good option for those with limited hand strength.

hrt4me and n2g like this.
  2. 45caldan

45caldan

I too think the Browning 1911-380 is similar in use as the Shield EZ. It has a very easy to rack slide (especially if you cock the hammer first) and mags are not hard to load either. it’s also better looking for what that’s worth...
    Mine is very accurate and easy to shoot with speed. It will be my EDC when my hands become more feeble.
    Even now I sure don’t feel unarmed with this loaded with 9 rounds of XTPs.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020

3. MGGLOCK9

MGGLOCK9

Well...I sold our EZ a couple months ago-due to the stove piping issue. Not even new mag springs from S&W solved the problem.

But you folks have me reconsidering it...perhaps later production guns/mags resolved that issue?

4. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Just picked up an EZ 380 for my wife. Been looking at them since they first came out and finally got a NIB one through a series of trades. Haven't shot it yet (hopefully tomorrow) but it's nice sized pistol, not too big or too small.

[​IMG]

Mine came in a nice package.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    hrt4me, fxstchewy, gamecocks and 5 others like this.
  5. Lagamor

Lagamor

I really like mine, a medium sized gun in a light caliber tames the recoil.

n2g and Quade like this.
  6. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

I've been curious about this as well. Pistols like the LCP are 2.75 inches so we're looking at almost an inch longer. I would 'think' that bullets like the XTP (which seem to have adequate penetration with minimal expansion in the smaller pocket pistols) would perhaps expand a bit better while still having adequate expansion.

7. Deputydave

Found a video to consider using the G42 as the test pistol.

Glolt20-91 likes this.
  8. 45caldan

45caldan

That's my carry ammo in a Kimber Micro.
    If I can't get any Precision one then ANY load using XTPs.

n2g and Deputydave like this.
  9. Deputydave

The LCP has a barrel length of 2.75 inches. The Glock 42 has a barrel length of 3.25 inches. The result was 7.5% more velocity, 4% more expansion and 4% less penetration. However, the average penetration depth was 13.15 inches out of the G42 which is still over the FBI minimum. The 380 EZ has a barrel length of 3.675 inches. So a tad over a 1/4 inch longer than the G42. So I would surmise the penetration would be slightly less, though still acceptable (over the 12 inch mark) will have the same or slightly bigger expansion.

Glolt20-91 and hrt4me like this.
  10. MedicineBow

MedicineBow Formerly TFLWYO

FYI, I have run numerous loads by the chrono for both the Glock 42 and the EZ .380, and the EZ generally runs about 50fps faster than the Glock on rounds like Hydra Shoks, Critical Defense and Hornady Custom. The Speer Gold Dots from the the EZ were 104 fps faster, the 99 grain HSTs were 111 fps faster, and the PDX1s were 91 fps faster. Unfortunately, I don't know the expansion parameters of the ammo to know how the expansion/penetration tradeoff would work.

Glolt20-91, gamecocks, Deltic and 2 others like this.
  11. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

For plinking, get a 22 because the ammo is cheaper. But for defensive use the 380 is a lot better.

Deltic and n2g like this.
  12. Deputydave

Thank you, good to know.

13. ShaneS

ShaneS Millennium Member

I like the EZ. 380 and recommend it all the time to people who would benefit from its features. My wife and I have (3) G42s and really like them. I've thought about buying her an EZ .380 too.

I like the low recoil G42 and EZ .380. They are a pleasure to shoot. I handload .380 ACP and find it interesting to load and test.

I pocket carry a G42 daily but would not carry an EZ .380 because it is bigger. If I am going to carry something bigger, it will be a 9mm.

I wish some of its features were different or some were optional. However, it is a great handgun for the intended market.

14. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

I like it in as i can see its perfect for the niche audience it was desinged for but its not the gun for me. So its in the like, would reccomend, wont buy myself category.

n2g, ShaneS and Deltic like this.
  15. Deltic

Deltic

16. wanderson

wanderson

I’m a big fan of Walther pistols and own a few but the CCP has had a LONG history of issues.
    I hope this gen fares better.
    Every report of stove pipes with the EZ I’ve read about (including mine) were mag related and were the older weak sauce mag springs. I tried to retrofit a Makarov spring but the EZ spring is actually pretty close to the size of a single stack .32acp spring and no one makes an inexpensive replacement that’s long enough. The spring nests inside the follower when fully loaded.

17. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Finally got my wife and her EZ out to my range to shoot. Initially have some stove piping but I attributed that to my wife limp wristing and trying to find her grip. She has very small hands. After that no malfunctions over the course of 50 rounds. It was wet and cold out, my wife doesn't do wet and cold very well. She found it very comfortable to shoot and handle, load etc. Follow up shots were easy with little recoil. Sights are good. I ran it on on steel plate drills and it is very fast on multiple targets.

The only thing I am concerned about is the grip safety is very stiff and difficult to fully depress. Going to have to run my wife through more shooting sessions before having her use the EZ for SD.

zaitcev and hrt4me like this.
  18. J_Rico

J_Rico

My mom still loves hers, though we found some ammo it does not like on the last range trip.

She fired and it extracted, but did not feed.

Cleared and she tried again and case stovepiped.

I took a closer look and she was shooting some JHP PPU that I dont remember buying. Must have been a long time ago. I usually like PPU, but this stuff did not work.

Switched to WWB and a couple mags of HST and 100% rest of the day.

Going to chrono that PPU stuff.

19. 45caldan

45caldan

I have not heard of any issues.
    The original version was dis-liked because a tool was needed to field strip.
    Other than that many don't like the trigger much but I haven't read of ANY issues with reliability....
    I think if priced right, the .380 CCP will give the EZ a run for the money!
    The EZ doesn't interest me but this CCP .380 had me pause and think....maybe as I get older....

20. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:9

My wife and I have been looking at one for her. Now that there is a 9mm version out, we will probably look at it as well.

n2g likes this.