close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Who is Federal loading this 10mm load for???

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by glock20c10mm, Dec 7, 2010.

1. glock20c10mm

glock20c10mm

Federal has a 10mm Auto load in one of their Law Enforcement lines of ammo called "Ballisticlean® RHT®". They're using a 125gr bullet @ 1300fps claimed from a 5" test barrel.

[​IMG]

About Ballisticlean® RHT® they say;
    "BallistiClean® RHT® features frangible RHT bullets that break-up immediately on contact with metal targets, significantly reducing ricochet and backsplash danger. All BallistiClean loads feature a copper-plated primer and an "NT" (non-toxic) head stamp to clearly identify BallistiClean as a training round at a glance, eliminating confusion with duty rounds."

So I get that it's primarily intended as a practice round. My question is; Who are they loading it for? Anybody know? Thoughts?

2. Mountain10mm

Mountain10mm

Me. A long time ago I went to an indoor, firearm training center with a realistic house layout and mannequin targets. (Valhalla outside of Telluride, CO) I was required to use green frangible ammo, but none was available in 10mm. I reluctantly had to exclude the G20 from the range ended up using a 1911 45acp. After laying down a few hundred $ for the indoor range experience (or should I say lack of experience with the G20) I whined really loud and apparently Federal heard my pleas for help.

Maybe a few other G20 nuclear holders asked for some indoor practice ammo too. Or, perhaps the ranges were getting tired or rebuilding berms and backstops after a single hit from a full power 10mm.

3. Careby

Careby

Sure, it sounds weak on paper. But it's a 10mm! So, you know what that means. 10mm!

4. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

those arent very impressive numbers for a 10mm, 125gr. @ 1,300 fps? about 300 fps slower than what it should be.

5. Kegs

Kegs Ol 8 fingers ;)

400 fps slower if you;re loading to wimpy SAAMI standards and a lot slower if you're not. :cool:

6. CTSixshot

CTSixshot

Can't say if they're loading the Sinterfire bullet, but you can get the SF40-155 RHFP through frangiblebullets.com, if interested. It appears as though they simply re-sell SinterFire products, but I can't swear to this either. Check both sites for availability:
    http://frangiblebullets.com/xcart/Bullets-NOT-Loaded-Ammo.html
    http://frangibleammo.com/ A SF40-125 RHFP is also offered.

FWIW, I've shot the SF45-155 RHFP at steel plates from about 12 inches. No blowback, debris, nothing. Just like in their video. Not a recommendation for everyday firing, of course!
    SKS at 4 foot: similar.
    7.62x51 at 4 feet tends to blowback any debris that is on the plate; not the Sinterfire bullet, but old lead/jacket material embedded in the plate.

From what I hear, the SIG Academy (in New Hampshire, I believe) requires frangible ammo in their ranges, but best to contact the venue instead of relying on my hearsay.

A local indoor range in Bridgeport, CT allows centerfire rifle use, as long as they clear your frangible ammo supply.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  7. triggerjerk

triggerjerk

FBI HRT uses the MP5 in 10mm.
    Maybe they like to use frangibles to train indoors with???

8. dkf

dkf

Someone who really wants an expensive .40 S&W round. I was thinking of buying some frangables in .357sig only beacause midway has them over half off.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  9. vafish

vafish

That was going to be my guess.