Who is a Verteran?

Discussion in 'Veteran's Forum' started by MADISON, Nov 18, 2005.

1. MADISON

MADISON Millennium Member

In 1973[?] Nixon and Congress made the mistake of abolishing the DRAFT. Since then America has "An All Volenteer Army". I was in the military during the 60's but, not Vietnam. Under no circumstance do I want to defame those who served in war time! Am I a verteran or someone who served?

2. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

It's "veteran".

Under the "rules" of nowadays, you are indeed a veteran, just not a combat veteran.

Everybody calls me a veteran and I've only been in six months. But I'm not a combat veteran.

3. skyboss_4evr

skyboss_4evr

Murphy is correct. A veteran by definition is anyone who served in the uniformed services whether during peacetime or wartime. Just don't ever refer to yourself as a "verteran" ;)

4. 19-2

19-2

I'm a combat vet. 60's USMC. Problem now days, that and a quarter won't buy you a cup of coffee. Sorry had to vent a little.
    [​IMG]

5. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

I am from the planet Verteran ;b

6. habu3

habu3

The way I figure it, if you wore the uniform of one of our uniformed services and served honorably you are a Vet!

7. Rigormootis

Rigormootis Semper Gumby

There is such thing as "protected veteran" status. This is still used on most state/federal job aps and other forms. To qualify you must have served during a time where you were awarded an expeditionary or service medal pertaining to a specific wartime or combat operation (the GWOTSM and GWOTEM are of course the 2 most recent such medals).

8. Guest

Madison, I'm in the same boat - I served Active Army (ASA) from Jul 65 through Jun 69. Although I never got to Vietnam (despite 4 requests for transfer...I think they were concerned for the 'Cong!), you and I are both considered "Vietnam Era" vets. Certain considerations apply for this distinction (you're eligible to join the Nam Knights, for example, if you ride).

Hope that helps.

9. MSgtJoe

MSgtJoe MSgt, USAF, Ret

Veteran's come in many different flavors and it really depends on the situation in which you are applying the term. If you are identifying yourself as an honorably discharged member of the Armed Forces (could mean you only served one day) or Public Health Service then you are considered a Veteran. That status may not mean a lot if you served one day and were kicked out of Basic Training because you were homesick. If you are applying for employment and are attempting to use preferences in either a competitive or non-competitive situation under Title 5 or Title 38 then there are specific requirements that must be met. If you served and were honorably discharged during any war or conflict (even if you were not in theater) then you are considered a Veteran of that war or conflict. I served for 22 years in the Air Force and based on the time periods my service covers my Veteran status can mean many things.

What I believe to be important is not that you have the status, but how you respect and honor it and those who served with you regardless of uniform.

Bottom line...if you served your Country honorably, then I would consider you a Veteran and salute you for your service!

10. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

As defined by the VA, " A veteran is someone who served the armed forces for a period of 180 CONSECUTIVE days in Uniform.

11. MSgtJoe

MSgtJoe MSgt, USAF, Ret

Agree...but that is in order to be eligible for benefits.

12. hogship

hogship Patriot Extraordinaire

Yes, you are a veteran.

hog

13. APD

APD Trunk Monkey

Veteran for your service.
    I hear alot "Panama vet" "saudi vet","desert storm vet",etc.

14. APOLLO

APOLLO IDPA Member

I'm a combat veteran of Operation Iraqi Freemdom 04-05 tour. I served as an MP, and I was sure more fortunite than the Viet Nam vets. We are recieving alot more benefits than they did. Heres to us veterans....;c

15. rjardy

rjardy

Certified Combat Veteran :)

Just separated and I am going through some strange things. I am really missing the lifestyle. Part of the adaptation process I would guess.

Rob

16. semperfiostoj

semperfiostoj Brutal Candor

Takes a while, especially getting over the urge to choke civilians the **** out.

;0 Nasties!

17. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

Amen, and I separated in 1971...still get the urge. Still give instructions/orders, not "pretty please if you feel like it requests".

Yep, takes a while.

:cool:

18. rjardy

rjardy

Thanks guys, good to know. The wife wants to know when I will stop "acting so Military" I tell her, when she stops acting like she needs direction :) that usually gets my slapped lol

Rob

19. reconvic

reconvic Recon Marine

2 tours in Man (Marine grunt and 81's )
    2 tour Recon Battalion after Rip training in the states.
    !00 % disabiled from Nam , I pass :)

20. semperfiostoj

semperfiostoj Brutal Candor

;? ;c ;I ^c ~2 ;Y

Thanks.