close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Who here has upgraded memory on their PC?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by goatranch, Mar 9, 2006.

1. goatranch

goatranch

I have a Dell Deminsion 2400 with 512MG RAM. I have been thinking about upgrading to 1G. I recently received an email coupon from Dell for 25% off memory so I bought some. It just showed up.;a I have also researched the net and found many good sites with detailed instructions on how to perform this. My question is how do it go? Was it worth it? I use this PC for business and it is 2 years old. Thanks for your response.

2. pyblood

pyblood

Do you already have the memory and need help installing it or do you want to know if it’s worth upgrading your PC to 1GB from 512MB.

I’ll see if I can’t address both:

Open up your case and you should be able to see your motherboard. Near the center of the MB is your processor. To the right of it are your memory module slots. You should be able to just install the new stick of RAM right next to the old one.

I think that it may be worth going to 1GB from 512MB. In my opinion Windows XP doesn’t really breath unless it has at least 512MB or RAM.

3. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Remember to unplug everything first.

4. goatranch

goatranch

Thanks all. I got some more feedback over in the NonGlocking section as well. I believe I can do it alright. I printed off some good instructions off some other sites about changing and upgrading. I just wanted to hear about others experience in doing it.
    Got some new memory from Dell at a discount. I am fairly handy in doing stuff and have been in the pistolsmithing industry for 16 years so I am not an idiot.;f Thanks again.

5. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

No flame intended here as there is no drought you’re one smart cookie tending to firearms, but, but would you use your garbage man to advise you on dental surgery? ;f

Having been in electrical/mechanical/electronics & computers since 1975 I might say this: forgetting to pull the power off a PC is a common and sometimes disastrous mistake! The 5 volt power line, in an ATX form factor PCs, is always active for the power button as well a sleep mode to work. Pulling a Memory chip, card or drive out the system or plugging one in can lead to a total burnout of the motherboard.

;P

6. goatranch

goatranch

Well, I just upgraded the memory and booted up. Things seem ok in that everything still works fine. Adjusted swap file to 3 times the size of memory and restarted. Can't tell alot of difference. QuickBooks Pro 2006 runs faster. It took me longer to figure out how to open the case than to insert one 512MB stick. It already had 1. I thought it might have 2, 256's since Dell said it only has 2 slots for memory.

Thanks to all again who chimed in. All seems well.