close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Who here has seen a plane crash?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by HKMark23, Oct 6, 2004.

1. HKMark23

HKMark23 Millennium Member

EDIT: I ment to put this in GNG to get responce from "non-flyers"

I flew into an airshow this past weekend with some friends where a pilot crashed during the show. Last night we were watching the video on-line trying to figure out what happened, the conversation turned to how many aircraft each of us had seen go down over the years. We all figured how many we had seen and between the 4 of us we had seen a total of 27 planes go down(the 8th one for me).

After we talked about what the circumstances were & really thought about it for a while, we kinda got creeped out by the numbers, it seemed like allot but we have all been in aviation for years.

We were wondering what the numbers might be for people that dont fly regularly, so who here has seen a plane crash and what were the circumstances?

http://www.krqe.com/video/expanded3.asp?RECORD_KEY[Video3]=ID&ID[Video3]=933

2. CFII

CFII

I have seen 3 accidents, one killed 4 people. It always send a chill down my spine. Its the life I choose, so I accept it. I grew up in a fighter pilot family, so I personally know 4 people who have died, in 4 seperate accidents, 1 near deathe crash, and 1 survived mishap.

3. hispeedlodrag

hispeedlodrag needs vacation

I've seen four. Personally, I've known people involved in 16 separate incidents. I've also witnessed three human/earth collisions.

4. Bill Powell

Bill Powell Cross Member CLM

Answering this gives me an extreme sense of deja vu. I think before I answered, does being inside the plane looking out count?

5. J. Parker

J. Parker

I was an Air Traffic Controller for thirty years so I saw a bunch. Just before I left Oakland Tower in the early nineties I saw a real bad one on a graveyard shift. They would shuttle twin beeches from Oakland to Hawaii filled with fuel in bladder bags. One took off about 2:00am, didn't get airborne and exploded into the biggest fireball I had ever seen. I was almost speechless when I rang the crash phone. Believe it or not both pilots lived because I guess they wear special suits of some kind when they do those flights. Saw a whole bunch of gear up landings, usually no big deal. Some intentional, some not. Nasty ones with fatalities are stressful to watch and deal with but the "nobody gets hurt" gear ups were kinda fun to watch. ;f

6. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

Reading this made me think of the Discovery Channel show on the Alaska Air MD-80 that went down off of the coast of L.A. when the horz stabilizer broke. They played the recordings of the other planes in the air that were reporting back to Center... "yep, he's inverted and going down", and "yes... ahhh... they just impacted the water". ;P

Time from altitude to impact was right at 60 seconds. That had to be the longest 60 seconds in the lives of those 88 folks.

I understand that the 747 over Lockerbie took almost 3 minutes to impact the ground after the explosion.

I love to fly, but if something happens, I hope it happens fast. Especially if my family is with me.

7. Reheater

Reheater Yarr

I watched a Senior Flight Instructor and Student bring a Seminole in Gear up my first week at Embry-Riddle. Kinda bad that they were practicing engine out landings and managed to forget to lower the gear until right before the props caught the pavement. The next day I started flight training..... yeah they wernt a little edgy at all.

8. 40Cal

40Cal Modurbator

When did you go to Riddle? I graduated last year.

9. Reheater

Reheater Yarr

I was there Summer 01 threw Summer 02, left because I simply couldnt afford it anymore. Not when Im looking to the military as a life long career. It was a great place to learn, and I wouldnt dog it for what it is, just what it costs. Granted no degree in Aviation is cheap, but I spent more in one year there as a flight student then in three years at Kent State as a Criminal Justice Student.

10. Patriot328

Patriot328 B756

Were you AeroSci?

I grad in 99.

11. 40Cal

40Cal Modurbator

Yup, I was AeroSci. Were you at the Daytona Beach campus? Member of a fraternity?

12. Patriot328

Patriot328 B756

Yeah I went to DAB. No frat here, though.

Fun times.. could have used a few more chicks, though!!!

I'm flyin at Independence right now.... tryin to hang on to this whacked industry.

13. Guest

My best friend and flying mentor once counted all the people he had known who had been killed flying and I think the list was 16 or 18. He is 60 and has been flying for 40 years. I’ve; worked airplane crashes as a paramedic where I had to find all the parts, watched or heard planes go down and then went looking for them, known people on my field who crashed and died, those who crashed and lived to fly another day, and those who crashed and quit.

The odd thing is that this isn’t my most dangerous hobby, oh yes, I’m a pilot. I know more people who have been killed riding motorcycles; did I mention I ride motorcycles as well?

14. tstand310

tstand310

After the Texas A&M / Notre Dame game 11/2002, I dropped some friends at the airport to catch a commuter flight to Houston. We watched a twin engine plane take off. They went gear up. One second later, white smoke both engines. They went out of sight in the trees. The airport emergency vehicles rolled and went cross country through the trees. After seeing this, our friends had to board their plane for the hop to Houston. They were not thrilled. The plane that went down made a gear up landing on the median of the freeway near the Texas A&M Campus. Everyone was OK. We drove right past the plane setting just off an exit ramp.