close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Who here has built the Bench they are truly happy with?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by The Old Bloke, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Rusty Gun

Rusty Gun Still learning to shoot

Thanks for posting all the great pictures.

I have a reloading bench related question. I have a bench I built 20 years ago and it has been moved several times. Made with 2x6's with smooth rubber truck mud flaps on the top. To ugly to post a picture but is very solid.
    I noticed pictures of a chair or stool with roller feet. I tried that and the darn thing rolled away when I tried to sit down. The only thing that saved a few hard landings was my cat like reflexes. Tried locking wheels but it still was unsafe for a man of my stature. How do you guys make a rolling stool stay put while setting down? I liked the idea of the seat and bench connected but I seem to reposition a lot while reloading.

2. DWB57

DWB57

Get a piece of carpet or some type of rubber matting the type that you can get at tractor supply.

3. refugeepj

refugeepj

maternal grandfather built mine. RIP 1967, he was WWI vet.
    it isn't much to look at. and a bit small, but HE built it, and i will use it until i can no longer.

Uncle Don and Rusty Gun like this.
  4. Uncle Don

Uncle Don Wood butcher

My Grandfather (the avatair) was also a WWI vet. Had he built my bench, I'd have never switched either. Hope you have someone you can pass it to.

refugeepj likes this.
  5. refugeepj

refugeepj

indeed sir i have several options.
    no hurry for that decision.
    i have already passed along the boarding pass for my father from 1935, ship was the SS Conte Di Savoia.
    i will soon pass along the steamer trunk that held his possessions, pictures, and a great deal of other family history.
    mom's side here pre revolution, dad's side from southern Italy, pre WWII.

6. dstegjas

dstegjas

[​IMG]

I built this bench several years ago in a previous house I owned. It was great, sturdy with plenty of room to do whatever I needed.

We have since moved and the bench I built in our current house is only half this size. Even though it's a nicer house, I really miss my old bench.

Jim

TGT and DWB57 like this.
  7. jmorris

jmorris

I use a regular office chair with casters, nothing special. I guess I have never thought about how I sit down, I may grab an armrest to swing it under me or just look at where it's at before I plop down.

Nowhere near as difficult as a stationary bar stool after a dozen drinks or so...

Rusty Gun likes this.
  8. weaselfire

weaselfire

Gave Harbor Freight my debit card and coupon, came home and assembled it, drilled some holes for bolting presses down and it's been working great for years.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

9. RustyFN

RustyFN

10. Rusty Gun

RustyFN you have an impressive bench. Question for you.... I noticed you have your tool heads mounted on an interesting piece of what looks like black pipe attached to a flange and a neat little 90 degree elbow. What do you put in the 90 that fits into the center opening on the tool head? Also what size pipe is used to make this?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  11. RustyFN

RustyFN

Thanks. They are made out of 3/8" nipples and fittings. On top of the elbow is a pipe plug with a square head. it fits perfect in the Lee turret.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I even put my Lee lead hardness tester in a turret. Hope these pictures help.

Taterhead and DWB57 like this.
  12. Rusty Gun

Perfect pictures thanks for posting. This is a nearly genius alternative to the expensive little stands sold on eBay and at Dillon. I am on the way to the hardware store. I promise to give you credit for this invention when it appears on my bench.

13. BDW

BDW

My bench top is a solid core door that is screwed to 4X4 posts. I put an industrial epoxy finish on the top and nothing has damaged the surface yet after 20 years. The door was a factory 2nd, it had a scratch on it. I paid $5 for it.

DWB57 likes this.