close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Who here has built the Bench they are truly happy with?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by The Old Bloke, Jul 20, 2017.

1. The Old Bloke

The Old Bloke

I retired from shooting some years ago, due to ill health. But over a thirty year period, I built 7 benches until I found what really worked for me. The biggest was 30 foot by 3 foot wide! I was once told if I added lily ponds it would of compared with the Taj Mahal. The smallest was several plates welded to the front Bullbar of my work vehicle to hold ,Press and Powder thrower and a bolt on table of about 2ftx2ft. I ended up with a bench that was 4ft x 2 1/2ft and a hell of a lot of draw and cupboard space to keep everything in order

TGT likes this.
  2. daboone

daboone

Over the years I've had 5 benches. Each one was an improvement on its predecessor. Each bench went thru several reorganizations to improve work flow and or to accommodate additions. Benches seem to be organic and have a life force which accommodates its requirements. Of course the 2 benches that are currently in vogue are perfect till I change my mind.

TGT and dudel like this.

3. dudel

dudel

I've built several benches, and have been happy with all of them (at the time). Each subsequent bench had improvements over the prior ones. I find I keep the smaller benches less cluttered.

TGT, orangejeep06 and fredj338 like this.
  4. BigMoneyGrip

BigMoneyGrip

I built a small one in the garage, 2'x4'. I cut a whole sheet of 3/4 plywood into the 2x4 sections then screwed and glued them into one 3" thick piece. The 2x4 stud frame is super strong and is screwed to the wall studs and anchored into the concrete floor. You could sit a Sherman tank on it and do an oil change.

MO Fugga likes this.
  5. fredj338

fredj338

I'm on my my 6th, its just about right. I built it on cheap kitchen base cabinets, 8ft worth, with a 28" wide 2x top. Lots of shelves & some drawers. Only thing i would do diff is go smaller width base cabinets with some addl drawers. Hopefully o get another shot at it when i leave kommiefornia.

TGT and dudel like this.
  6. Uncle Don

Uncle Don Wood butcher

Been at it since the mid to early 80s. First was a parts bench I bought at an auction for $10. The second and current one was built by a friend and I in 1992. It's the NRMA bench which I've not found the need to improve.

7. njl

njl

I lucked into this at Sam's Club about 10 years ago
    [​IMG]
    It was recently discontinued, and I got the floor model at about half price. I don't have room for bigger. I guess it's been discontinued so long, the only image of it I could find online was this one I posted here 7 years ago :)

8. JBnTX

JBnTX

I've never had a reloading bench that was big enough.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    MO Fugga likes this.
  9. rangerhgm

rangerhgm NRA Member

When we moved to this house I built an L shaped counter in the basement. Kitchen cabinets above and below with a range mounted in the long part of the L. I've since removed the range and mounted a 3/4" piece where the range was. It's supported with 2x8s under it with 2x6 side and back supports with the back brace bolted into the wall. The counter is about 8' x 4' and solid as a rock.

10. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

My first and only reloading bench I built turned out perfect.

It's built from a couple sheets of 3/4 inch plywood, a couple 2x2's and a couple 2x4's.

The whole plan was to have a light weight, takedown (if needed), smallish bench, that was easy to build.

The sides, top, seat and under seat storage are all screwed together.
    This allowed the bench to be light weight and any amount of push/pull on the press handle didn't matter because the person is, in effect, pushing/pulling against their own butt.

hot weather reloads.JPG

9mm in can.JPG

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  11. sig357fan

sig357fan

last bench I made was small, less that 2" x 2" top with a file cabinet under the left side and a table leg on the right side under the press mounting plate, bench is screwed into the wall behind it, lighting so as I can see into a charged case on which ever press I'm using, a shelf at eye height for the scale.

this way I have nothing on the bench but what I'm working on at the time, all components are stored either in the file cabinet or on shelves next to the bench, finished ammo is stored closer to the gun cabinet.

this set up works for me as everything can be put away from prying eyes and little hands yet readily available when I want to make ammo.

sig357fan

TGT and orangejeep06 like this.
  12. jmorris

jmorris

I have a number of benches and had a lot more in he past. The last one I built for reloading was built specifically for the room it's in.

It's only 18" wide so there is plenty of room for the presses but not so much I am tempted to stack a bunch of crap around them. The bottom shelf, once full, adds to stability but the wing is what gives it most of its stability. That and it's a 5" truss with cross braces at every press all welded together and to the top.

I also added a quad box at each press that needs powder that are all controlled by one switch, flip it and everything on the bench is off and two outlets controlled by the other switch, that is for the air compressor.

The top is drilled and tapped so it's not too difficult to swap presses around because I just didn't have room for everything.

I'm happy with it until I have a larger reloading room.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

13. F350

F350

I once built a reloading bench in a house I rented. It covered 2 full walls of a bedroom and I could permanently mount all my presses (Dillon Square Deals in .38, .357, 9mm, 10mm and .45 and a Lee auto turret for 308 and 5.56 and a Lee turret without the auto index for 7mm Rem Mag). I'll never have a set up like that again, it was during my single again period.

TGT likes this.
  14. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

The base of my bench is an erector set style metal frame left in the garage by the previous owner. I replaced the table top with an 8 foot by 4 foot piece of sub flooring. I covered the surface with those gummy backed, stick on tiles. I'm happy with it, but of course, it could always be bigger.

15. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

My bench is simple, yet elegant! It is somewhat over 11' with 3 drawer cabinets under both ends. It holds the bare minimum: Hornady Case Prep, 650, a ChargeMaster and a Dillon D-Teminator, a T7 and 1050. On the other side of the room is an enormous amount of floor to ceiling cabinet storage. It holds everything!

I have that HarborFreight bench and a Craftsman roll-away chest (plus the upper toolbox) that is almost completely empty. I have a ton of room. If I really have to use one of the 550s, I will clamp it to the HF bench.

It doesn't matter if it is the 'best' bench, it is the last bench. I don't see us moving again. My wife finally has her dream house with a veritable forest in the front and back yard. She's happy and I have a dedicated building (11-4 x 15-6) for my reloading.

16. Victor Dubya

Victor Dubya The Kindly Curmudgeon

I built this bench about 35 or so years ago. Very solid and suited me just fine. I got the plans from the outfit in the image. I have to dismantle it to move it.

bench.jpg

I might add, I built a bench just like this one. Not the one in the photo in case anyone was wondering.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    Taterhead, Uncle Don and orangejeep06 like this.
  17. Uncle Don

Uncle Don Wood butcher

I didn't have the photo - that is the bench my friend I built in 1992 and still use. Nothing more planned or needed.

Victor Dubya likes this.
  18. Taterhead

Taterhead Counting Beans

I built that bench too. Except for I elected to not put doors on the cabinet. It has been a great setup. I built it to a comfortable height for me.

When I built that I lost more than half of the linear feet of my old bench, but it let me come indoors from the garage into climate control. My old bench is now used for a casting station.

Here's a pic before I moved everything into it. It is jammed full now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  19. The Old Bloke

The Old Bloke

Some very practical and tidy benches there. My problem was that not only did I shoot for a living ,my favorite past time was shooting and I just couldn't resist buying gadgets (much to my Gun Guy's joy:brickwall: and to my wife's displeasure )

20. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

Love mine.

top is 72x35. It is 39 inches tall. ( I am very tall)

4x4 legs with a 2x4 sub-frame.

2x6 was the original top and it lasted 14 years. I just added a 3/4in cabinet grade plywood sheet making in very attractive (and 3/4 inch taller). Also added an over sized draw, just because. I trimmed it up for a finished look and did the cut-out for my Lee press.

Whole thing is bolted to a the wall and would required major bit of work to remove.