close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Who here grew up with guns?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by vart, Jan 31, 2010.

1. vart

vart

Reading the "What was your first gun?" thread was surprising to me since so many did not get their first gun until they were an adult.

My step dad was a cop and my dad owned a chain of gun stores and wrote for Outdoor Life, plus I grew up in semi-rural Idaho so I had a gun with me since the age of 7.

It's weird to think about not ever owning a gun until adulthood, but I am thankful for those people since they are desperately needed in today's society.

Did you grow up with guns? If not, how did you get interested in them?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  2. pangloss9

pangloss9

Hi. I grew up in a very rural area. There were guns in my parents house before I was born. There are more there now. I received my first firearm for Christmas when I was in 4th grade. It was a single shot 20 gauge. I think I was in 11th grade when I got my first pistol.

3. Davegrave

Davegrave Dapper Dan

I loved guns growing up and would by Guns and Ammo and Handguns and Soldier of Fortune.
    But didn't shoot one or own one till I was in my mid 20's because it's such a hassle in Illinois. I love being in Indiana now.
    Now I just need to find someone to take me out hunting with them.

4. metro273

metro273 Glock 19 Rocks!

From the time I was born, my dad always had a gun! Not sure of brand name but he always liked .380s!

5. Emoore

Emoore

My first "real" gun was a single-shot Handi-Rifle with an interchangeable barrel that could be either a .223 or 20ga . I was about 10 and Santa brought it to me. It wasn't until years later that I found out other people thought it was strange that Santa was bringing firearms.

6. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

I definitely grew up with them. My dad, granddad, uncles were all hunters and shooters. Naturally I wanted to follow in their footsteps. They have been a part of my life literally for as long as I can remember.

7. Aces and 8s

Aces and 8s Dead Mans Hand

I grew up with guns..

Simple answer to a simple question

8. PBCounty

PBCounty

I grew up with them. BB guns in the yard by four or five years old and I received my first firearm at seven. It's a Marlin .22lr lever action which still sits in my closet today. I wasn't a real big-baller though until I got my first revolver at eight or nine, a Ruger Single-Six .22lr / .22 WMR. Cowboy baby.

9. cobra4246

cobra4246

I also grew up with guns

10. holyjohnson

holyjohnson

i grew up with them.guns were always around in our house.
    i was pretty young when i got my first BB gun,before that i had a .22 that my uncle bought but was pretty much mine.
    the first gun that was legally mine,in my name was a Mossberg 500 i bought at sears on my 18th birthday.and i still have it.
    and i grew up just outside of Boston,but went to NH a lot to shoot.

11. ShamGlock

ShamGlock

Always had 'em in the house. My Dad was shootin' with us from as far back as I can remeber.

12. Hyksos

Hyksos

I did NOT grow up with guns. I was raised in New York, my parents think guns are terrible and when they found out I had bought my first handgun at 21 they practically fell over and have informed me that I am banned from ever bringing it into their house. If any talk of it ever comes up (my brothers know too) they immediately silence it.

I really wish they would see the light.

13. Praetorian27

Praetorian27 NRA Life Member

Definitely grew up with guns. My father had a carry permit before I was born. Not a huge gun collector, but he always had around 5 or 6 in the house. I got my first BB gun for First Communion...and got my first rifle (Savage .22 Hornet) when I was 11. Both of which were given to me by my grandfather...and neither of which he asked my parents first!

14. majic man

majic man

Yes, my dad had his PD issued G23 and a revolver all my life. Up until about 13 or so I was I was content with my Red Ryder and airsoft guns. Then I wanted to move on to the real thing. Even now, I'm the one dragging him out to the range, he's not really a "gun guy".

15. Praetorian27

Praetorian27 NRA Life Member

At least you broke the chain of misinformity!

16. hpracing007

hpracing007

I didn't grow up around real guns. I had plenty of toy guns though.

To this day, I don't know if my parents have any guns (I think they do but are hush hush about it).

I bought a G30 because I wanted a gun for protection that I could take with me. I liked the way it felt in my hand and after going to many sites like GT, Glock seemed to be a good gun for me because it was relatively simple.

Then I bought an AR-15 because I went to go buy a G26 and they were out of those :whistling:

17. pugman

pugman

Hunted for 20+ years with my father and two brothers until my dad's knees started to give out and the Uncle whose land we hunted sold it.

18. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

Grew up with them. Dad was a cop for part of my childhood, but that's not how we became a gun owing family since Dad was already into guns before he took the cop job. We had over 50 guns in the house.

19. Krigloch

Krigloch BACONEER

shot my first gun when I was 26. got my first gun (G17) a couple months later.

20. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

I grew up out in the sticks, guns were as much a part of life as bacon and eggs! :supergrin:

I wish someday I own a place I can shoot from my front yard without any hassle.