Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought used (concealable) vests from Kiesler's with good results, but they haven't had any in a while. I have a friend who has a small security company and he is always looking for some for his new-hires. They need to be under $100. Any links?

· Registered
3,322 Posts
Bad, bad, idea. Your trusting your life to it, spend some money and get a new one. Second Chance used to have a program where they would let you make interest free payments for a year if you were in a sworn position. It's not often I recommend using credit cards but if that's your only option, do it.

· Registered
11,886 Posts
There is a reason why there is a warranty on vests . . .

Many vests are worn for AT LEAST five years which means you buy panels that have been subjected to extremes in temperatures, hydrolosis, flexing, folding , poor storage, possible separation between bonded layers and so on. Plus, when they get replaced, they are usually pretty frausty (ewwww). Some have been known to wear the vests against bare skin. So no matter if someone changes the cover, you have "da funk."

While the adage of "any vest is better than none," does your friend who owns a business want to use used vests to protect his officers? A failure of an expired vest will mean a huge lawsuit and the end of your friend's business. Regrettably, the initial cost is why many security companies do not issue vests.

I applaud your friend for thinking of them but please reinforce that used vests are not the deal that they may seem on face value.

· Crazy CO
18,146 Posts
http://bulletproofme.com/

http://www.unicor.gov/shopping/ViewCat_m.asp?idCategory=560&iStore=CTG

I don't know about UNICOR policy in selling to security businesses. I have thought that they were mostly involved in selling to government agencies, (any government agency or department as long as they are not enemies). You may want to have your friend give them a call. The vests are more than $100.00 but they are quite a bit less expensive than other commercial items and they do work.

· Registered
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is a reason why there is a warranty on vests . . .

Many vests are worn for AT LEAST five years which means you buy panels that have been subjected to extremes in temperatures, hydrolosis, flexing, folding , poor storage, possible separation between bonded layers and so on. Plus, when they get replaced, they are usually pretty frausty (ewwww). Some have been known to wear the vests against bare skin. So no matter if someone changes the cover, you have "da funk."

While the adage of "any vest is better than none," does your friend who owns a business want to use used vests to protect his officers? A failure of an expired vest will mean a huge lawsuit and the end of your friend's business. Regrettably, the initial cost is why many security companies do not issue vests.

I applaud your friend for thinking of them but please reinforce that used vests are not the deal that they may seem on face value.

These vests are for his guys to buy at cost. Guys who are making $11 an hour generally cannot afford a $500 vest. My first one was a 8 year old hand me down when I was still working security (and yes, it was somewhat beat up and a little funky).
Also, when I was a range instructor for our academy, we shot up a bunch of vests, some as old as 20 years old. NONE ever failed to stop what it was rated for.

· Registered
11,886 Posts
I appreciate that Otto but unfortunately, if this owner is providing these vests and one of his officers get shot, that expired vest (unless recertified by the maker) will become a HUGE liability for his company.

If your friend is willing to have himself and his company assume that risk, that's his call. But in our litigious society, an expired vest on on officer (security or cop) shot is bound to be costly when the lawyers sink their teeth into it. Is he able to get a SB loan that will allow him to get new vests? Will his insurance company provide the same coverage if the officers are using expired vests? Will his insurance company even cover his company if he is using old or expired vests with his officers? Just some thoughts.

· VIVA MEXICO !!!
3,684 Posts

· Super Moderator
20,185 Posts
I'll go against the grain---when the choice is between a used vest and heavy starch, go with the vest. Yeah, get new stuff that hasn't been exposed to who-knows-what for the last 7 years when you can. But when the choice is used or nothin'.....

Lawsuits and other such are Problem Two. If the employer is worried about that, there are waivers and classes and warnings that put the responsibility where it rightly belongs, on the user. First issue is to survive the real fight, and good on him if he's taking steps to give new guys a better chance of that.

Finding a company that sells used armor is difficult. Here's a search engine that shops e-bay offerings for you. As always, you have to do your part to ensure that you're finding a deal and not a scam. http://www.usedbodyarmor.com/shop-by-price/

Already mentioned is bulletproofme. They're probably the cheapest non-agency source around, and they sell new stuff.

· Keystone Cop
2,145 Posts
Shoot it first and make sure it works, at least.
Make sure you wear a current vest underneath the expired vest. Ya know, just in case. :rofl::rofl:

· Huh? What?
228 Posts
Galls still has their house brand body armor cheaper than the name brand. IIRC, its made by Point Blank.

Point Blank used to (still does??) have a discount for reserve officers. IIRC, it was about 50% off the cost for a new vest. Its a long shot that they would have something for security guards, but it never hurts to ask.

· Blade Runner
800 Posts
I'd tend to side with the guys who stress buying new gear in this instance. I've never actually purchased body armor though. It's always been issued by my agency. I have had the same experience however as an earlier poster. At SWAT training, we've shot the crap out of expired vests, shields and body bunkers and have never experienced a failure at their rating level. It sure is convenient for the manufacturers to have a 5 year lifespan on their product. YMMV.

· Registered
11,886 Posts
I bought my own vest when working security many years ago. Expensively painful but worth it in the long run. But, I bought it out of pocket so it went with me when I changed jobs.

Having a friend who is a civil lawyer opened up my eyes to things. He's generally against nonsense crap lawsuits but even he pointed out that there is a reason why there are silly warning labels on things and why expired food doesn't sit on store shelves or in reputable kitchens . . .

38,473 Posts
Galls still has their house brand body armor cheaper than the name brand. IIRC, its made by Point Blank.
Galls has cheap house brand vests and so does Quartermasters. Their vests may be as cheap as $299 or something and I think they are either PACA or Point Blank, not sure.

My agency has gone to issuing Survival Armor prefab vests which come in generic shirt sizes, e.g. Small, Medium, Large, etc. The fit is fine for me because I have an off-the-rack body so the Medium fits me just fine.

I didn't really need a custom fitted Second Chance like at my first agency. The fit was the same for me. With the adjustability of the carrier, you would be hard pressed to not be able to get it fitted correctly toward at least 90% correct.

· Crazy CO
18,146 Posts

· Registered
409 Posts
I believe Streichers has their house brand Level II vests for $300ish
A bit cheaper...

· Massive Member
27,153 Posts
I'd really hesitate to buy anything used but a IIIA. Maybe if it has degraded, it's still able to perform to the level of a II, but if you buy a used II and it's degraded....

Randy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts