close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Who has to ask permission to buy a gun?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Terry G, Mar 20, 2017 at 6:54 PM.

1. nrajeff

nrajeff

My wife has seen that most of the guns I have bought have appreciated in value (I used to own an early Cobra Lightweight, a King Cobra, a pre-Gold Cup National Match, and a Delta Elite 10mm) so she pretty much trusts that if I buy a gun, it could probably be sold for close to purchase price if we ran short of dough...which has happened, and is why I no longer own the Delta and the Cobras. :)

2. nrajeff

nrajeff

"You don't need your parents' permission to rock!"

Jack Black

3. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

No. My wife bought me an "engagement gun" because she said it didn't seem right that she got a diamond ring and I got nothing. She got me a Beretta 92F, which I obviously still have. 25+ yrs later and nope, no permission required.

nrajeff likes this.
  4. 2bgop

2bgop

I have to ask the Feds for permission for some of the guns I buy.

certifiedfunds likes this.
  5. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy Silver Member

I have to ask the government thru a 4473 each time, does that count?

certifiedfunds likes this.
  6. Current Resident

Current Resident

You are spilling your guts on a forum and telling us that you already don't. What is the answer you are looking for? As I read your post it's clear to me that you make your own choices.

7. TK-421

TK-421

I guess I'm supposed to? Even though I don't?

I live at home still, unfortunately, but being autistic and not good with jobs/people/school/whatever makes it a little hard to find a good job that pays enough that I can move out. Mom said I'm only allowed 4 guns, as she's not fond of guns being used in self defense, and I've made it perfectly clear that if someone breaks in while I'm home then they're going to be shot.

I told her sure, that's fine, I won't have more than 4, mainly because I already had 4 and I didn't want to ruin that illusion for her. I think I'm up to a dozen now, and I have no plans on stopping.

So I guess I'm supposed to ask permission, but I don't.

8. RenoF250

RenoF250

That is what we do. We are supposed to discuss anything optional over $50. She has never told me no but we do redirect each other sometimes. "I thought you wanted a new welder, why are you buying a gun, can we afford both?" sort of thing. I made the rule to keep myself in check, I am pretty tight.

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.
  9. BobbyS

BobbyS Truth always sounds like lies to a sinner

what guit did you buy

10. Joco34

Joco34

All of us do from the Federal Government when you fill out the forms!

11. moeman

moeman

If you need to ask permission... isn't that a mental health disqualifier for purchase?

nrajeff and crockett like this.
  12. fg17

fg17

I've only been married 22 years, been together 30 years. We barely talk about anything. I've got XX,000 in a savings account that she's only vaguely aware of.:supergrin:

13. DocPoison

DocPoison

Never have to ask permission but I have a very strict 2 or three guns in maybe one gun out sometimes.

14. NH Trucker

NH Trucker Needs coffee...

There was a time I consulted my wife before making a gun purchase. It was always met with resistance and sarcasm, so I simply decided to remover her approval from the equation. Even when I was carrying something she had never seen before, she never really noticed I had bought another gun.

About six months ago, I was working on stuff in the basement, had the doors on the safe open, and she saw all of them in there together. She said "I don't remember you having this many." I just shrugged and mumbled something to the effect of "I dunno." She didn't say anything after that.

I keep up with my end of the bills and household expenses, how I spend any extra I have is my business.

crockett likes this.
  15. crockett

crockett

My ex tried to talk into my purchases at some point when her true control freak came out. That didn't end well, especially considering that I paid all the bills around the house. I could never go back to any kind of relationship where permissions or compromises might come up. Hence why I will stay single until the end.

While I do understand how most marriages work and compromise is a huge component for success, I'm not capable of this anymore. Being able to do 100% whatever I want with my time, money, dreams and needs is my definition of true freedom. Why would or should I ever compromise that (again)...

16. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

That is just to ensure all of our safety

17. KBKEITH

KBKEITH aka The Wolf Silver Member

18. yz9890

yz9890

We are not in a financial position to spend the cost of most firearms without discussion and planning. So it's not really asking permission as much as it is making sure priorities are met first in my house.

19. smitty22gunr

smitty22gunr

My wife and I have always talked about large purchases before pulling the trigger. If we were flush with cash it would be different, so for now it's a group decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Big, educated kitty cat!

I don't have to, but wouldn't do it without asking. Especially right now with us focusing on getting completely out of debt.

I need another gun like I need another hole in the head anyway. I never shoot the ones I have and should probably sell some of them.

Kentucky Shooter likes this.