close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Who has to ask permission to buy a gun?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Terry G, Mar 20, 2017 at 6:54 PM.

1. Terry G

Terry G

I have to admit, saying's like "I slipped one past her, I put one over on my Wife, My Wife say's I can buy..." I mean, man., you have got to be kidding, Do you earn a salary? Do you consider yourself a responsible person? Why would one adult need another adult's permission to do anything? If your holding a decent job, know what your bill's are and pay them, and have disposable income left over, why do you need to ask your Spouse if you can buy something? Does your Wife need your permission to spend money? Maybe I'm in the minority, but my Wife and I split mortgage payment's, Children's College tuition, and household expenses for 35 years and have separate checking and savings accounts. She wanted a new car. she bought it, she didn't "Ask my permission". I bought a fishing boat, not a rowboat either. I didn't ask permission. I bought it. I certainly wouldn't ask her if I could buy another gun, she'd look at me like I had grown another head. Maybe we are turning into a nation of wimp's or reverting to teenager's when we Marry.

2. Wyzz Kydd

Wyzz Kydd

I don't have to ask my wife, nor she me, but I do have to ask Uncle Sam most times.

ronj1, refugeepj and huskerbuttons like this.

3. glock collector

glock collector

My wife knows if I'm gonna buy something, I will talk about it...I mentioned an airplane last week and got the " it'd be nice if ya let me know ya are gonna spend 100k....

4. patw

patw

I always run it by the wife first and she is usually ok with it,funds pending. I have on occasion bought something without her knowing but nothing expensive and again no issues. She trusts me and I her.

9jeeps likes this.
  5. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Because it is a partnership, and we agree on major expenses.

wprebeck, LEO/Dad, JLA and 22 others like this.
  6. bucky_925

bucky_925

I've only been married for 34 years (been together a lot longer). We don't have "seperate" anything. Yes we talk about everything we spend $ on. At least over a few hundred. I'm not saying it works for everyone, but it does for us. Her $ is mine and mine is hers. We are a partnership from day one. Checks and Balance keeps us from being stupid with our megar earnings.

wprebeck, LEO/Dad, johnmltb and 16 others like this.
  7. JMS

JMS 02

Why is everything split?

8. Jonesee

Jonesee

Ithaca and Bucky have it right.

I've been married 31 years. It is all part of communication and respect.

9. G23c

G23c

We only have joint accounts, and we discuss most larger purchases. A gun would not typically need to be discussed. When we got married, I changed the title of the house I had to joint.

10. fusegsp

fusegsp

Nope. If I want it and I have the money I buy it. I've seen guys in my LGS whining while begging their wives to let them buy something. It reminded me of a kid trying to talk his Mom into buying him a toy.

crockett and Damien Danzig like this.
  11. FCastle88

FCastle88

The wife handling the finances actually seems to be more of an old-fashioned thing. Most younger to middle aged couples I know the husband mostly handles the finances. Most of them the wife handling it wouldn't end well...

My wife and I mostly have separate accounts. We split the household bills and both contribute to a joint savings account for large expenses that come up. For the most part whatever we have left is ours to spend as we wish. We discuss large purchases like vehicles. I make the majority of our income and do keep a bit of an eye on my wife's spending as she isn't the best at budgeting.

mdlott likes this.
  12. rock_castle

rock_castle The Trump presidency gets better and better!

I ask my wife because it's the respectful thing to do. It's worked well for almost 32 years.

13. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Funny how most here think asking the government for permission is very reasonable

14. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

The wife and I have separate discretionary spending accounts. We do as we please with whatever is in there. We do not consult each other.

15. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I am more likely to feel guilty about buying unnecessary stuff; I don't need permission. If I ask my wife what she thinks, she always says "buy it" no matter what it is - guns, guitars, motorcycles, etc. Spent $1,500 on a guitar this week and can't come up with a single reason I need another guitar - I barely play the 7 or 8 I've got.

Damien Danzig likes this.
  16. Doc McGlock

Doc McGlock

I've always followed the "it's easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission" philosophy!

That said, my wife is not a gun person and doesn't get it. So, I've given up trying to get her to come around and do what I like. I provide the huge portion of our finances but we are very frugal. I also explain that at some point she will be able to sell what I have and get a large portion back should I leave the world.

For example, she looks at my 21 sitting on the night stand with a spare mag and says..........."What's that (mag) for?............. 15 more shots in the middle of the night?" I responded with no, ...13... but I can pull out another mag or two if it will make you feel better?

17. jfusaro

jfusaro

I don't have to ask, but giving her the consideration as to what I am up to is what works for us. I think if someone has to ask before purchasing a gun or anything else it is also ok, what ever works for them.

Rellik and ithaca_deerslayer like this.
  18. holyjohnson

holyjohnson

i don`t have to,but it is best to let her know before.
    we discuss anything like that beforehand.

19. handloader109

handloader109

Well, my wife and I have been married 36 plus years. It was rough Early, money was always an issue, past 10 yrs or so have been much better as we talk, it is called communication! And while I darn well don't beg, we do discuss puchases over a few hundred $. Joint everything.....

20. Boot Stomper

Boot Stomper

Nope. I have a gun fund and I keep an eye open for good deals or something I may want. The house will be paid off soon, so the gun/toy fund may grow. I have three kids to put through college, but I do have a plan for that as well.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017 at 8:52 PM