Who Has The Best Fully Supported Chamber ?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Tomcat10, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Tomcat10

Tomcat10

I have been shooting , and reloading for quite a few years , but I am new to shooting , and owning Glock handguns ? Because I reload I want a barrel with a fully supported chamber , when I go to the range . If I decide to carry any of my Glocks I will change out the aftermarket barrel for the stock Glock barrel . In the aftermarket barrels who has the best supported chamber ? I have a KKM barrel for my G 29 Gen 4 , but I haven't had a chance to take it to the range yet . I have a Glock 27 Gen 4 that will be my EDC , so I want to get a lot of range time that one .

2. goalie

goalie Stopp'n Pucks

I have shot tens of thousands of reloads through my G17.

I shot plated/jacketed bullets. The only issue is with lead.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

3. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

I put over 125,000 rounds thru a G21 with OEM barrel. There is no issue with "un-supported" chambers. All semi-autos have some degree of "un-supported" As you can see, aftermarket barrels really don't have that much more, and the drop ins are no more accurate than the OEM. If you want to shoot lead, then an aftermarket is a good choice because it's way easier to clean than the OEM and the build up is not an issue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. happie2shoot

happie2shoot

I have a seen a difference in support within the same company and same caliber.

With LW 45 barrels there is support clear into the extractor grove, I have something
    like six or eight of them and have around thirty AM Glock barrels in other calibers
    and models.

If you want to shoot 45 super or Rowland loads I would spend the 100 dollars and
    get a LW barrel.

How could anyone know if one barrel is more acc than another barrel if they don't
    shoot them both?

I have been reloading for 49 years, have chambered over 1000, one thousand barrels
    and have seen barrels that look bad but shoot good and barrels that look good and
    shoot bad, you don't know until you shoot them.

5. happie2shoot

happie2shoot

The newer Glocks do seem to have better support than the older ones.

Buckshot Barry likes this.
  6. Bruce M

Bruce M

If I wanted a Glock with the fully supported chamber I would probably consider this one

[​IMG]

Deltaelite10mm and Mister X like this.
  7. Tomcat10

Tomcat10

Thank you for your help . I have several reloading manuals I use for load data . one of which is the lee modern Reloading Second Edition , and on the top of the first page in the .40 S&W load data section states , " Do not use reloads in Glock or similar guns with chambers that do not fully support the cartridge due to the intrusion of the feed ramp .

I think they put that in there because the .40 S&W is a high pressure round . What I don't understand is the 10 mm is also a high pressure round , and they make no mention of this in the 10 mm section .

8. GlockMP

GlockMP

Bar-Sto has the most supported chamber. It´s also the one with the tightest chamber. Great for reloading but not the best for carry.

9. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Tomcat, all manuals say that. Do not use reloads in Glock or similar guns with chambers that do not fully support the cartridge due to the intrusion of the feed ramp .

So all the tens of thousands of USPSA/IPSC/IPSC shooters that run Glocks reload, the 40S&W is the most popular caliber for Limited Major. I reload .357SIG for my G31, and the practice loads are 1,400 fps, and up to 1,600 fps, a higher pressure than any 40.

If you already know how to reload, stay within the powder manufacturers recommendations, get to loading and shooting, quit reading the worthless manual. It will also tell you not to run lead bullets, oh my.

10. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

happie, How could anyone know if one barrel is more acc than another barrel if they don't
    shoot them both?

True, but what I am saying is that an aftermarket drop in barrel is not guaranteed to be more accurate that a OEM barrel. You can always get lucky and one lock up tighter than factory, But you know the accuracy is controlled (on the gun side) by the barrel to slide lock up. So for my USPSA competition Glocks, I run hand fitted BarStos (by Irv himself). However I would add that they are only slight more accurate than the same models for carry guns with OEM barrels, about .5" tighter at 25 yards with the same ammo. Now a 50 yards, much tighter groups with the fitted BarSto's using hand loads

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  11. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

You want full support? Then get one of these, or these.... Course you gotta give up those extra 15 rounds or so

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bruce M likes this.
  12. tager

tager

Afternoon Tomcat10

What is the pressure of the .40 vs the standard 9mm? Or the .40 against the 9mm+P?

Look those up & post it here-- I think the answer will surprise you.

elkhart likes this.
  13. nraman

nraman

Tapered cartridges feed easier, the 9mm Glocks have tight chambers and excellent support over the feed ramp.
    Straight wall cartridges need looser chambers and a bit of relief over the feed ramp.
    Early 40 and 10mm Glocks used to have less support than the Gen3 and Gen4, they are excellent now.
    The 45 G21 has the worst support of any pistol I have seen but it is a very low pressure cartridge.
    Looking at how much brass you can see over the feed ramp is not the only thing to consider, part of the visible brass is solid metal, how much case wall is unsupported is more important.

14. poodleplumber

poodleplumber

It is interesting that the issues with early Glock .40s has, in internet lore, not died but has spread to calibers that never had the problem. After shooting 9 mm from a Glock or either of my two Berettas, the only way I can tell which brass came from the Glock is to look for the rectangle around the firing pin strike.

15. nraman

nraman

If you take a 9mm empty fired in a Beretta and try to stick it in a Glock, depending on individual gun tolerance it might not fit.
    Both of my Berettas have slightly larger chambers than my Glocks.

16. Kenny W

Kenny W

Was that Lee manual printed this year ? Lol. The only ammo you have to steer clear with factory Glock barrels is lead. Nothing else, reloads or otherwise

17. Mike-M

Mike-M

I disagree with the assertion that all auto-pistols have some degree of lack of chamber support. Glock OEM .357SIG barrels (at least those made in the past five years that I own) have full 360-degree cartridge case support even above the feedramp.

Usually people call a chamber as fully supported when it extends to the cartridge extraction groove all around the case. That's true, and Glock .357SIG barrels have that. In reality that's over-conservative because true full chamber support occurs when the chamber extends just past the inside bottom of the case. Below that the base is solid and there is no radially-outward force pushing the case against the inner surface of the chamber. For most cartridges (certainly the .357SIG) the inside bottom of the case is typically about 0.05 inches above the extraction groove.

By either criteria, Glock .357SIG barrels have fully supportex chambers. Maximum loads by Underwood produce beautiful ejected casings when fired in Glock barrels.

It's all made possible due to the bottle-neck .357SIG.

The OP could get the advantage he desires with a Glock OEM G33 barrel in that G27...that's what I did. My G27/33 fires the best weapons-use auto-pistol cartridge ever made.

18. Hoochrunners

Hoochrunners

I don't know why, but I would probably buy one.

19. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Both my G31's look like the one in the center, more support than a 9mm or 40S&W, but certainly not right to edge.

[​IMG]

20. nraman

nraman

You realize that the part of the case that you see is solid brass, why would you need more?
    If you reach pressures where solid brass starts flowing, you have bigger problems.