Who has replaced their old school home stereo/entertainment system with a modern one that works ...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by nsl, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Oldschooltube

Oldschooltube Flux Capacitor Technician

upload_2019-10-21_10-54-1.png

F14A, FullClip, M7425 and 3 others like this.
  2. Oldschooltube

As far as speakers go I stay away from Bose. IMO you’re just paying for a brand name. Hell, they don’t even publish frequency response specs. What are they trying to hide?

“No highs, no lows, must be Bose”

B.O.S.E.

Buy
    Other
    Stereo
    Equipment

For the best bang for the buck I’m a huge fan of Polk Audio. I have 2 pairs of T15 bookshelf speakers in my office and in my living room. They sound great and can be had for about $75 a pair. With a 5 1/4” driver you’re not going to get room shaking bass but that’s what a sub is for anyway.
    YMMV

indie_rocker, Cmacc and Slackinoff like this.

3. Slackinoff

Slackinoff Bathed in lavender and gasoline

I agree. But I will say that the Bose in my 2018 truck are some of their best I have ever heard. It's pretty durn good.

4. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    Just for fun, I put an old school stereo component system in my guest bedroom. But for the Klipsch speakers, everything is used, most bought on CL or Ebay.

IMG_1029.JPG IMG_1030.JPG IMG_1031.JPG IMG_1034.JPG IMG_1033.JPG

F14A, FullClip and badge315 like this.
  5. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

6. BL33D 4 M3

BL33D 4 M3

This is a fun thread. I also run Klipsch. Great gear. I also have an old school Velodyne sub. Its about 20 years old and just ridiculous when I get in one of those moods...LOL.

Cmacc likes this.
  7. pittpa

I set up 5.1 surround in the living room when I moved. I have an Onkyo THX receiver I bought for $50 on CL.
    Again, New Klipsch towers. Great sound and imaging and very efficient. I can easily hear dialogue through the center speaker, so I see no sound bar in my future.

There is an Ohm Walsh speaker on the left that runs off the receiver's Zone 2 for music from my Amazon Echo Dot, which I use for background music when I'm moving around the home. Zone 2 is always on and works independently whether the receiver is being used or not. That music plays on devices in two other rooms at the same time if I want and can be controlled from those rooms as well.
    All components fit easily in an Ikea cabinet under the TV.
    I have an Oontz bluetooth speaker for the balcony. The Echo Dot connects to that as well. I can play Prime music, Pandora, I heart radio, and Sirius XM though the Alexa devices.

IMG_1032(1).JPG

8. teeceetx

teeceetx

I bought a Polk home theater system for my TV a few years ago with a Yamaha receiver. Added an Audio-Technica turntable, and a Sony DVD/CD player, and a nice big Polk sub. It's not state of the art, but it booms! Of course I mostly play wirelessly off my iTunes library and the occasional CD or record album, so hi fidelity doesn't enter the picture. I miss my old audiofile and half speed master records (which I sold years ago!).

9. JK-linux

JK-linux

I replaced my old circa 1990's Sony stereo receiver and Infinity speakers. I went with a Denon 3500AVR, some Polk speakers and SVS subwoofer for a 5.1 system. The receiver is about the same size as the old stuff. I have less components now because all my music and video is digital. Receiver + 4k DVD player + Apple TV. That's it. I'm quite happy with the setup. I could do more with it, but for now it's GTG.

I did briefly look into "smaller" form factors, but (for me) most of them were either missing features, missing connections, missing power, missing channels, or had too many claimed issues in their online communities and reviews such as noise, overheating, or expandability. YMMV.

El Rayo-X and Cmacc like this.
  10. pittpa

Just picked up this boxed set at a flea market. It has Dolby Digital and DTS mixes. Will be fun to listen in stereo and compare the surround mixes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

Well I only mentioned using my TV soundbar/bluetooth because being a headphone person I rarely listen to music 'in the air.' I wouldn't recommend bluetooth for someone who wants "top" sound quality, because with bluetooth the speakers can only output the quality that gets transmitted to them and except for Sony's LDAC protocol, which is capable of up to 990kbps, bluetooth can't carry enough signal to do any better than an audio CD. And audio CD should be your minimum accepted floor for sound quality. It gets a little hocus-pocus explaining why an audio CD doesn't sound as good as properly reproduced vinyl or hi-res digital, because the 44k range of a CD exceeds human hearing range ... but it ALL has to be compressed into that range, which limits how open or real the music can sound. Anyway, generally speaking, hardwired is still mostly superior to bluetooth.

What isn't so definite as it used to be though is vinyl vs. digital. Vinyl is great, but vinyl degrades with use, takes up massive space, and is a PITA with maintaining the discs and the hardware. Digital (i.e. CD's) was a compromise for decades, but now 'high-resolution' audio is happening which has made digital the way to go IMHO. With a quality 192k/24bit digital recording (compared to a CD's 44k/16bit) all the dynamic range of vinyl can be preserved in a non-degrading form. Ironically a lot of the hi-res digital stuff out there for "classic" recordings is made from virginal examples of vinyl on very expensive hardware (five thousand dollar turntables with a one thousand dollar stylus, etc), but once the rip is made it stays the same quality forever.

As for loudspeakers, the good ones being made today are definitely superior to the paper or simple polypropylene cones that were being used in the 70's-80's.

All that said, if your collection is made up of CD's only and you're ok with that, a CD player and speaker set both capable of Bluetooth 4.0 formats (aptX) will give you no loss over a vintage wired system, and the speakers will be better. The Swan m300 for example is a popular speaker set for just over $500 that can be used wired or with bluetooth.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    indie_rocker likes this.
  12. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

Maybe I won't sell my '60s Empire 598 II turntable.

13. Ftttu

Ftttu

When I started my research into a new home audio system, I was surprised Marantz was still around.

if you want one of the best sites for research, try here:
    https://www.audioholics.com/

Spend some time there, and you’ll get informed pretty quickly.

As I previously said, I’ll do with my current home theater since I rarely watch movies. Regular TV shows and the occasional movie works great already.

since I don’t want Chinese electronics, I’m looking at Schiit Audio for my amp and preamp or integrated amp. I’ll probably get an OPPO DVD for music only. Bookshelf sized speakers may be KEF, Martin Logan, ELAC or Klipsch. My new system will be without vinyl this time.

El Rayo-X and Rick James45 like this.
  14. Oldschooltube

It ain’t old school unless it has rack handles and about a hundred knobs and sliders!

upload_2019-10-21_14-13-5.jpeg

This rack blasts the tunes when I’m in the shop.

For sweet sound though I prefer one of the amplifiers I made out of Lexan.
    upload_2019-10-21_14-15-37.jpeg

Lights off.
    upload_2019-10-21_14-16-2.jpeg

And of course vinyl plus tubes!
    upload_2019-10-21_14-16-48.jpeg

indie_rocker, FullClip, Cmacc and 5 others like this.
  15. Rick James45

Rick James45

IMHO. To put it mildly. Bluetooth sucks. Period. New "Best Buy" equipment sucks. I am a bit over opinionated on this topic. For my little TV, I use a Bose Solo. It works very well and is stupid simple. I have several Bose products doing service as basic listing devices. No Highs No Lows, must be Bose. On main system I have spent $$$ money on Audio components. I have gone from mono block amps and electrostatic speakers. All separate components. When I moved the last time, I down sized and I am super happy. I am running NAD integrated 317 with outboard DAC (connected to iMac) and Phono stage. Klipsch Mains and a Polk Sub. Most bought off of eBay. I would say this is a value system under $3K. I have an HD celling mounted DLP unit connected to my Xbox One for movies and such. Yes, at times I miss the Electrostatic big stuff, but I sold off that system and bought a boat.

Never went down the rabbit hole of surround. I have listened to many systems that were done well. I have also listened to many that were horrible. I am an analog guy at heart.

I have well over 1500 CD that I had converted to lossless digital format. It was a tough sell for me, but I do not regret it. It is nice to sit on couch and use an iPad to access your library remotely on the iMac. Then I have a couple 100 vinyl's. Last night I was listening 10,000 Maniacs and Fleetwood Mac. The vinyl really shines.

16. jmohme

jmohme

I had a really nice Marantz sound system.
    I now have an iPod and earbuds.
    The neighbors are much happier.

17. jmohme

jmohme

:agree: 100% :agree:

18. BL33D 4 M3

BL33D 4 M3

19. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

I still have my Ohm/Hafler/B&O/Denon stuff from high school 40 years ago. Been meaning to get to this for a while...

Ftttu likes this.
  20. Tony Rumore

Tony Rumore

This is my shop radio.

I use a sorta modern CD/IPod Docking unit that is Bluetooth capable and feed that into the Carver Pre-Amp.

Tony Rumore
    Tromix

[​IMG]