close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Who has been to a recent Armorer class and a couple of questions

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by misunderestimated, Aug 25, 2011.

1. misunderestimated

misunderestimated

So I am currently an Armorer and this coming February I will be able to sign up for the AA "Advanced Armorers" class.

Has anybody been to one recently and are they covering the Gen 4 guns yet
    Have they updated the manual
    And I thought once we completed the class we would be sent technical bulletins to add to our manual. I have never gotten anything from Glock since I attended my first class except my certificate

And to refresh my memory .Its a 3 year certificate and we were entitled to purchase guns at a discounted rate
    What was the rate?
    and how many could we get ?

Thanks for any input
    Sorry for all the additional activity from me here recently, I just had a surgery done and I am stuck at home with too much time on my hands

2. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

Been through the AA twice.

IF you are not a Law Enforcement armorer or instructor, or a professional gunsmith, the AA is way beyond the needs of probably 95% of Glock owners out there. Those 95% get everything they need out of the shorter Beginning Armorer class.

Do they cover Gen 4 guns? Yes.

There are no "technical bulletins". One is expected to take the class every two or three years or so to keep current.

Two guns. They are at the Law Enforcement rate which is somewhere between wholesale and the GSSF rate. Then comes full retail.

The LEO rate is the cheapest price for NIB Glocks anywhere.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011

3. misunderestimated

misunderestimated

Thank You

I am not LE
    But I am a NRA instructor.

I was born as a mechanical person and feel I cant have too much technical knowledge about the Glock pistols

4. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

There are about 20 models of Glocks that have been sold since the mid-1980's, in four generations.

Some parts are common to all models. Others are specific to specific models. The same part might differ between different generations of the same model. Parts for one caliber of Glock might find themselves installed in the wrong gun. On and on and on.

Then, gun butchers can do just about anything to butcher a Glock. There is at least one Gun Show Glock butcher in Indiana that is so bad that Glock has hit him with legal "cease and desist" orders. Yet he still butchers the Glocks of unsuspecting Glock owners.

A professional gunsmith can have everything and anything in the way of messed up Glocks walk in the door.

An LEO armorer may be in a department with multiple generations of Glocks in the hands of its armorers, of different calibers. Again, parts can wander between guns where they do not belong.

For instance, the difference between a 9mm extractor and a .40 extractor is so minute (but there!) that one has to look at two of them side by side and have the difference specifically pointed out to them, or they would never be able to spot it on their own.

The AA trains the student to analyze a Glock practically part by part. To recognize when a wrong part is installed, or a part has been butchered by a butcher. Or is broken. And then, what to do to fix the fault.

The final day you go through about 18 different Glocks, each of which has 6 or 7 different things wrong with it. You have to identify each fault and the describe the fix for each fault before the scorer signs you off and you can move to the next gun.

When they revamped the AA program after a hiatus of a few years, the very first "students" were the Glock Trainers who themselves were going to be teaching the class and each of whom was already intimately familiar with the gun.

The fastest of THEM took about 6 hours to go through all the guns. Typical AA students need 8 or 10 hours.

The typical Glock owner, who might own two or three or ten Glocks, usually just does not need that level of problem solving to keep his Glocks running right.

5. SCC

SCC Member Me

THATS SOME VERY GOOD INFO :wavey:

6. rabump199

rabump199

Larry, where are you doing the AA course. I am going to the basic course at the NYSP academy in the fall.

7. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

The Advanced Armorers class is only offer at Smyrna, GA at the Glock training center.

Dan:cool:

8. rabump199

rabump199

You sir are most correct. Kudos :supergrin: