Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Farmer, House Sitter and Cook
6,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody? Anyone?

A Pickaroon saves so much energy and back stress. I've used one for years but never thought of starting a forum thread about such a boring and mundane device.

Just raking up limb tips and small cut branches is easier since there is so much less bending over. But that is not where a pickaroon really shines. It shines when picking up thicker wood sections to add to the trailer or wood stack, that is where a pickaroon is just marvelous. You almost never have to bend over to pick up cut or split wood.

I just made myself another firewood pickaroon this week, because I got a great deal on an implement that (after a mod or two) made another wonderful pickaroon for me.

Discuss.......

·
Registered
11,314 Posts
And a pickaroon is what?

I'm assuming it is some sort of brush hog or something?

·
Registered
11,314 Posts
Interesting! That actually is not what I thought it was going to be... I was picturing an adze or slingblade type thing. If I see one around I'll take a closer look.

No, I haven't used one. I do use a timberjack or standard axe in a similar manner sometimes, though.

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
Vehicle Machine Trailer Tool
I've done a lot of firewood, often with a maul. I have used a pickaroon over the years, don't own one myself.

They seem O.K, but not really something I miss when not having it. Bending over and such is part of the woodcutting workout, no squat thrusts needed at the gym.

I did treat myself to an 'Iron & Oak' 26 ton splitter last Winter, now there's a real firewood production improvement.

·
Registered
11,372 Posts
I have a couple, my favorite made by Logrite. They help my back! Oldest is about 80 years old.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
hi, i too have used a pickaroon but i prefer a pulp hook for my firewood chores. if you accidently hit your leg(it does happen) with a pickaroon it will penetrate boot leather whereas a pulp hook will not.

·
Liberal Bane
20,358 Posts
Some of the best money I've ever spent on a tool--in a life filled with tools. Love pickaroons.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts