Who else thinks Stainless Steel is Sexy?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by A-Train, Nov 16, 2019.

1. bac1023

bac1023

I definitely prefer bluing and carbon steel in general. Carbon steel is certainly superior for tightly fitted guns anyway.

Bren and BOOSTED12A like this.
  2. jr24

jr24

Stainless is good on revolvers, not on autoloaders for me.

Can't say I ever think of guns (or any inanimate object) as sexy either.

3. farmer-dave

farmer-dave

What's your reasoning on this, premature wear from it being a softer metal?

4. pspez

pspez

EXCELLENT WORK MY FRIEND.

5. bac1023

bac1023

Can’t get the same fit or lockup. Generally not as accurate all things being equal. This is mainly just true for higher end models. The lesser 1911’s aren’t fitted like that anyway, regardless of the material.

6. Karambit777

Karambit777

yep. I do like the brushed/matte finish on stainless.

Shiny/polished stainless or nickel plate is a huge turnoff for me. Even for novelty show pieces, that have elaborate engraving with gold inlay; a matte or brushed stainless finish looks much more classy IMO.

7. bac1023

bac1023

My feelings exactly

I have no bright stainless guns, never did. I did have some bright nickel guns, but they are gone.

I don’t care for engraving on handguns

8. DrewBone

DrewBone

If I may chime in...I see there being a couple of reasons. In the early days when stainless steels started to become popular in the firearm industry, firearm manufacturers unknowingly used the exact same grade of stainless steel to manufacture both the frames and slides of their semi auto pistols, which led to issues of galling/binding between the frame and slide rails, but only if there was insufficient or improper lubrication used between the two. This raised some eyebrows before changes were made between the materials chosen for the two different parts, which helped to eliminate these galling issues.

Another reason could be that some stainless steels rust, and when they do it looks like crap...this was mostly due to the use of investment cast methods for manufacturing and the stainless steel material chosen for these frames and slides; high quality stainless steels with high levels of nickel and chromium are expensive and more difficult to cast and machine afterwards, but lesser grades of stainless are easier and less expensive to manufacture via this casting method, and are easier on the machine tools when performing the finish work than billet or forged stainless steels are. Unfortunately, with the open pore bead blasted surfaces of the typically finished investment cast part, these cheaper grades of stainless were quick to discolor and rust - just from handling. Examples of manufacturers who use(d) the investment cast method would be Ruger, AMT, etc., whereas S&W uses the more expensive forging process, which is why their products are more dimensionally accurate right out of the hot die, and display a finer finish that doesn't require much if any abrading or polishing to make it look nice (put a Ruger and S&W revolver side by side and these differences will be clearly evident), and this is also why S&W revolver frames can have thinner top straps and a thinner overall cross section thanks to the stronger (than your typical casting; jet engine fan blades are a completely different story) in-line molecular grain structure created in the material by the forging process, yet weigh nearly the same as their investment cast competition, as their weight is distributed differently than that of a Ruger revolver.

PhotoFeller and Rocky7 like this.
  9. Kalmah

Kalmah Supreme Member

I do prefer stainless over blue/black finishes. I'll always choose the stainless finish if it's an option.

10. collim1

collim1 5ft of fury. The champ is back!

Only a couple of guns look better in SS IMO.

The Beretta 92 is top of the list. The inox Berettas (original before they added black controls) are just beautiful.

45caldan likes this.
  11. Camdenbullit52

Camdenbullit52

Sexy no....dam near maintenance free yes.

12. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

hey DrewBone great work!

Would you do the community a favor and share your skills and techniques and tools for how you did that?

I have a Bond arms and old SW model 64 that I'd love to improve and I'm sure there's more folks out there like me!

13. ottomatic

ottomatic

A-Train likes this.
  14. ottomatic

ottomatic

I also prefer the brushed look, with the exception of my first Vaquero. Since it was supposed to be a "Cowboy" gun, and they didn't have SS back then, so for THAT one I liked the polished finish, as it looked like nickel, which they did have back then.

45caldan likes this.
  15. 45caldan

45caldan

I prefer brushed SS.
    No mirror bright pistols for me!
    Also don't care for bead blasted.
    k64.jpg

GlockyQ, kahrcarrier, A-Train and 3 others like this.
  16. Quijibo

Quijibo King Doofus.

I agree. Nicely blued guns are beautiful. But, like mirror polished stainless, I freak out with every little scratch, rub, finger print, and they end up as safe queens.
    :oops:

17. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

I want that.

45caldan likes this.
  18. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

Very nice work!...few realize the time it takes to do this type of job properly...one look at Randy Turnbulls prices will show that

19. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller A swamp dude

Guns mean different things to different folks just like our cars and trucks reinforce our various individual 'needs'. My Toyota SUV is for transportation and carrying stuff, but I enjoy it's good looks, too.

This S&W Model 629 .44mag provides fun and functionality in a big way, and it's as ruggedly handsome as a Porsche 911. What's not to love?
    IMG_2410.JPG IMG_3202.JPG

GlockyQ, MSP Sarge, A-Train and 3 others like this.
  20. G21FAN

G21FAN Loser Millennium Member

It is my opinion that any self-respecting carry or duty gun should be all black or blue...

In 1911s and Hi-Powers the PROPER two-tone looks good. ( Blue/black over silver/chrome)

One duty gun I carried (armed security) in a coastal environment was a stainless M-65 with black RoGuard (SP?) from Ro Bar and had a tritium capsule drilled into the front sight and some kind of blaze orange tape on the ramp around it. Was a company issued gun. Tried as I could but could not convince the owner to sell me the revolver...

PhotoFeller and JArthurD like this.